September 17, 2016 by brennon
The game has you playing as one of four favoured of Khorne looking to win glory and honour in an arena soaked in blood. The mechanics are simple and easy to get into and I have to say, it’s looking like this could be a lot of fun!
You can find out more about the game mechanics in the Overview Video above which goes into some of the details as to how each warrior fights. I do like the threat zones for each hero meaning that there is a little bit of manoeuvring needed to get your characters into a bloodletting position.
In terms of what you get inside the box…
- 4 Gorechosen Champion miniatures, each with their own ultraviolent playing styles and signature moves:
- Redarg Bloodfane, Exalted Deathbringer;
- Kore Hammerskull, Skullgrinder;
- Heldrax Goretouched, Slaughterpriest;
- Vexnar the Reaper, Aspiring Deathbringer;
- A double-sided arena board with hex grid;
- 4x Fighter Reference cards, with rules and health trackers;
- 52 Action, Initiative and Critical Injury cards;
- 16 page rulebook, which includes rules for an additional four Gorechosen characters;
- Assorted tokens and dice necessary to play.
Which also sounds very neat indeed. The tile work going into the base board for the game is very nice actually. Here are the two sides you’ll get to choose from.
I think I prefer the darker arena with the blocking terrain all around the middle of the board. It should make for some interesting stand-offs.
It would be a heinous deed to not show off the combatants that are going to be jumping into the arena to do battle. So, here we have the models.
You will have seen all of these before as part of the larger Khorne force that hit the tabletop for Age of Sigmar a few months ago now.
I got to say that while they are over the top and crazy I think that fits into the world that little bit more now. I actually really like the style they’ve gone for here with their Khorne models.
These models aren’t going to be to everyone’s tastes that’s for sure but I reckon as character models duking it out in cinematic combat – they’ve got them on the money. The more traditional Khorne look works very nicely here too with the Skullhammer (above).
Rounding things off we do have the Slaughterpriest. While I don’t mind his look I think the horns over his shoulders do seem a bit goofy. I would pick the other Slaughterpriest (the one from the front of White Dwarf) over him any time.
Which ‘hero’ will you play as?
"The game has you playing as one of four favoured of Khorne looking to win glory and honour in an arena soaked in blood..."