April 6, 2012 by brennon
Wizards of the Coast while churning through the playtest date for 5th Edition (or D&D Next if you’re that way inclined) have not taken their eye off the 4th Edition ball. Check out the teaser trailer above for Rise of the Underdark for Dungeons & Dragons…
I think we can safely say that Dungeons & Dragons is going to see a lot more Drow suddenly appearing in campaigns. The real question is how many Drizzt clones this is going to bring up?
The Rise of the Underdark isn’t just heralding a new area to role play in however. Check out this list of offerings below and here…
Dungeons & Dragons: Rise of the Underdark offerings include:
- Into the Unknown: The Dungeon Survival Handbook – On May 15, players will thrust into darkness with Into the Unknown: The Dungeon Survival Handbook. Adventurers can delve into dungeons, caverns, and other subterranean environments with this indispensable guide. Players will discover new character themes that add depth to their characters’ backstories and equip them with special benefits that will help on their journeys into the Underdark. Dungeon Masters will uncover advice and tips that will shed new light on creating dungeons and exploring the depths of their campaign worlds.
- D&D Encounters – Beginning May 16, players of all levels will be able to gather on Wednesday evenings in local participating game stores around the world to experience the new D&D Encounters:Web of the Spider Queenseason. D&D Encounters is the first D&D Organized Play program designed exclusively for weekly play at retail locations worldwide – and this season takes players into the depths of the Underdark to investigate increasing drow activity and what it means for the world above.
- D&D Lair Assault – Experienced Dungeons & Dragons players worldwide have already been gathering at their local participating game stores as part of the highly tactical D&D Organized Play program called D&D Lair Assault. The next challenge, Spider Killer, will kick off on June 1, challenging players to battle against the Rise of the Underdark.
- Skirmish-Style Game – A new head-to-head miniatures skirmish-style game, Dungeon Command will have players assembling warbands and choosing their battlefields as they go head to head in all out war. Releasing July 17, the Dungeon Command: Sting of Lolth faction pack will include such heroic miniatures as assassin, arachnomancer, sorcerer, spiders and spiderguards. Other Dungeon Command faction packs will become available throughout the year.
- Charon’s Claw – In this third book of the Neverwinter Saga, New York Times best-selling author R.A. Salvatore takes readers back to the city of Gauntlgrym. As the world-famous dark elf Drizzt Do’Urden and his companions return to the ancient dwarven stronghold, they find a small colony of drow. Members of House Xorlarrin and exiles from Menzoberranzan, these drow are trying to establish an independent city free from the rule of House Baenre and its priestesses. Charon’s Clawreleases August 7.
- Campaign Setting & Fortune Cards – On August 21, anew campaign setting will provide an in-depth exploration of the greatest drow city in the Dungeons & Dragons game. Containing all of the information a Dungeon Master needs to run adventures or an entire campaign based in this treacherous city, including descriptions of city locations, drow houses, key organizations, and the precarious political landscape, the Menzoberranzan Campaign Setting also gives players information they need to create characters who are members of drow houses or organizations within Menzoberranzan. Drow Treachery Fortune Cards will provide additional elements of unpredictability that already runs rampant within drow culture to enhance attacks and defenses, or provide other benefits to characters.
- Novels– 2012 also holds the release of a number of mind-capturing novels from some of D&D’s most beloved and imaginative authors, including:
- War of the Spider Queen, Volume I (April 3), Richard Lee Byers, Thomas M. Reid, Richard Baker
- War of the Spider Queen, Volume II (May 1), Lisa Smedman, Philip Athans, Paul S. Kemp
- And the following ebooks:
- Spinner of Lies: Sword of the Gods (June 5), Bruce Cordell
- Prince of Ravens (July 3), Richard Baker
- Skein of Shadows (July 3), Marsheila Rockwell
- Spider and Stone (December), Jaleigh Johnson
- Dungeons & Dragons Online, Menace of the Underdark expansion – This June, the shadow of Lolth has fallen over the Forgotten Realms kingdom of Cormyr, where heroes struggle to stem the unrelenting tide of Drow forces. As the extent of Lolth’s schemes spread to entangle Eberron, the champions of that world must join those of Faerûn to battle this dark threat—and ultimately, the Queen of Spiders herself.
Will you be looking forwards to the Rise of the Underdark?