January 17, 2017 by brennon
Elite Dangerous is the highly successful Sci-Fi video game that puts you in a ship and unleashes you upon a vast galaxy. Now Spidermind Games is working on a tabletop role-playing game and the project is on Kickstarter!
In this role-playing game you’re going to be playing as police officers, criminals, or maybe even somewhere in between and then you will dive into this world to undertake awesome stories aboard ships, in dogfights, on space stations and more.
Here’s a look at what’s inside the Core Book…
- Dozens of different character backgrounds, including Police Officer, Docking Bay Operative, Mercenary or Hoopy Casino Croupier.
- Karma Capabilities that turn your character into an action hero when it counts the most.
- Have your best friend, business partner, love interest or snot-nosed nephew fight by your side with the in-game Partner mechanic.
- Start with your own ship. No one has to be a co-pilot unless they want to.
- Space, Vehicle and Personal Combat rules all included.
- Hundreds of bits of equipment including rare weapons, armour, clothes, cosmetics, combat stims and much more.
- Modify your spacecraft with the same flexibility and detail of the computer game.
- Drive in style in Scarab SRV’s, Gangland Battle Cars or the dreaded Federal Ram Raider.
- Variant rules to suit all play styles.
- Have a life outside of the current adventure by earning money as a Trader, Bounty Hunter, Miner or Explorer using the between adventures rules.
- Employ crew for your spacecraft and generate their abilities, personalities and names randomly.
- Dozens of opponents from pirate spacecraft, sword-wielding assassins, genetically engineered bio-mods, implacable drones and fierce indigenous alien animals – don’t let your SRV get knocked over by an armour-plated Golunk!
- Generate entire star systems, including multiple star systems and their civilised inhabitants.
- Lacking Inspiration? Generate military, espionage and exploration missions randomly, including devious plot twists that will cause havoc and challenge your players.
- And much more contained within the supplements and stretch goals.
So yeah, quite a lot! You can watch an interview with the lead writer above where he goes into more detail about the game and why he chose to go down certain routes. I particularly love the idea of everyone owning their own ship and being independent rather than dependent.
Source Books & Stretch Goals
There are of course going to be lots of sourcebooks too including ones based on Espionage, Military, Supertrader and Exploration which will take you down different paths. Here’s a look at just some of the Stretch Goals on offer right now.
If anyone has watched The Expanse on Netflix then you will also be most likely drooling at the thought of a game like this. The system seems nice and easy to learn with a basic D10 doing most of the work.
If you’re interested in giving this a go there is a Playtest PDF available for you to download.
Will you be giving this one a go?
"I particularly love the idea of everyone owning their own ship and being independent rather than dependent..."