September 9, 2014 by deltagamegirl22
Yashima: Legend of the Kami Masters is a fast-paced combat game that combines the speed and complexity of card games with the tactical movement and terrain found in miniature games. With various styles of play, you can compete in a two-player duel, team-based combat, or a free-for-all showdown! Jeff Garcia & Greenbriar Games have this cool new game out on Kickstarter now and it’s definitely one to watch.
You choose both a character and a Kami (spiritual force to harness and control with your character) to play. The characters are:
- Rosamu, the monk, uses chains to create powerful combinations of multiple attacks.
- Hikaru, the priestess, is a powerful healer who counters her foes with spiritual cleansing.
- Akiko, the fire sorceress, wields the power to burn all who stand in her way.
- Kenta, the ronin warrior, studies his enemy’s weaknesses before he unleashes his fury.
The Kami include:
- The Dragon Kami builds upon its attack power and evades attacks by flying or dodging. The Dragon Kami is low in health, but it is known for its luck (high karma).
- The Tiger can use mechanics to set up the perfect combination of deck, hand, and karma pool manipulation. When in the fray of battle, it has a powerful block defense.
- The Tortoise is slow and deliberate; its low karma makes it often the last one into battle. Like a shell Tortoise’s blocks are some of the best and when it strikes they are very powerful blows.
- Like the mythical beast of legend, the Phoenix Kami is brilliant, daring, and willing to risk it all for glorious success or a spectacular fiery crash.
I have to confess I am impressed with both the detail on the minis as well as the artwork for the game. It has an interesting story combined with a cool mechanic which makes this a game I need to put on my list of must haves (which keeps getting longer). I also really like that it can be played head to head or with the addition of more people, team against team.
Will you become a Kami Master?