Grab your Aristeia Box Today - Click Here

Group Admins

3D Printing For Tabletop

Public Group active 17 hours, 37 minutes ago

A forum Dedicated to 3D Printing primarily for Tabletop

Clogged Extruder (5 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image jamjarst119p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

As suggested by @tomd I’m starting this new thread to talk about clogged extruders and how to clear them (ooer :) )

Had my first instance of this on my Wanhao Duplicator I3 Plus last night. woke to find a failed print and the printer making a small clunking sound as the motor tried to feed filament into the extruder. I’ve printed 2 or 3 things everyday since I got the printer on Sunday.

A search of the inter webs has found me the Wanhao process to clear the clog, they supply the printer with a wire tool that you feed into the extruder that when it is heater should enable you to force the clog through, I will try this tonight:

A lot of people recommend upgrading to an all metal hot end (fnar fnar) and at £50 I think this might be something I do at some point.

I was printing PLA and my hot end temp is set to 200 degrees, retraction speed is 25mm/s and distant is 6.5mm. Anyone have tips or tricks to minimise this? Should I be removing the Filament from the extruder when not in use and using the tool to clear it every time?

• Avatar Image stvitusdancern694p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Your retraction distance may be off and that is what is causing the clog. Too far and the soft plastic hardens and causes a clog
    Do upgrade I did and it is well worth it. Make sure you go for a genuine one and not a knock off as the inner throat may not be polished and cause issues as well.

BoW Gianna spreading gaming love one continent at a time.
  • Avatar Image tomd139p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Clearing a clogged for the CR-10 their gave me an acupuncture needle and it tiny i am assuming it .04mm dia. but you use it from the bottom of the extruder.

I think @stvitusdancern is right you might be retracting to far back and it cooling,

dscn1278.jpg
  • Avatar Image jamjarst119p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

@stvitusdancern said:
    Your retraction distance may be off and that is what is causing the clog. Too far and the soft plastic hardens and causes a clog
    Do upgrade I did and it is well worth it. Make sure you go for a genuine one and not a knock off as the inner throat may not be polished and cause issues as well.

That advice does seem to be what others online are saying, the extrusion distance most recommend is 2mm or less so have change mine to 2mm and 40mm/s.

• Avatar Image nakchak4218p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

I have used old airbrush needles for unclogging before, as well as airbrush reamers (not the spray rubbish, a real miniature reamer)
    [The innuendo is strong in this thread...]

There is no ignominy, there is glory,
    There is no servitude, there is dominance,
    There is no defeat, there is victory… victory eternal!