Beasts of War | Groups | 3D Printing For Tabletop | Forum | My First 3D Print

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the War is Coming: Warmaidens & Dragonbreds Kickstarter Campagin - Click Here

Group Admins

3D Printing For Tabletop

Public Group active 2 hours, 10 minutes ago

A forum Dedicated to 3D Printing primarily for Tabletop

My First 3D Print (14 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image jamjarst114p said 2 weeks ago:

My Wanhao Duplicator I3 plus arrived today and is running my first test print already. It took about 20 minutes to put it together and I spent a few minutes levelling it which seemed easy enough. I have to say compared to @warzan printer it is almost whisper quiet.

• Avatar Image jamjarst114p said 2 weeks ago:

Well I am very happy :)

img_01122.jpg
    img_01113.jpg
    img_01103.jpg
  • Avatar Image tomd131p said 2 weeks ago:

nice one @Jamjarst it is great when you print work out. i spend too much time watching the 3D printer doing it thing. i got mine last Thursday already use up a half kilo of filament.

BTW after attaching a flie in your post next to it is insert into editor and Delete, click on insert and it insert a URL link to your post like this. then hit post reply

my first print was a Z axis fail . i had to reconnect it so the Z axis to work.

first-print-fail1.jpg
  • Avatar Image dunham99141p said 1 week, 6 days ago:

@Jamjarst I received mine on Saturday and my first print came out perfectly. I have to agree the machine does seem whisper quiet when compared with @warzan . The i3 plus seems like it’s a great little printer, considering its my first 3d printer I believe I picked the right one. I’ve only used the heated bed as it is. Not used any glue or hairspray and it seems to work fine. I’ve also found manually levelling the bed is quiet easy.

I’ve just printed a new spool holder as the one that comes with it doesn’t fit actual average sized spools. Came out great and works like a charm! I’ll post the link for it below.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1889438

Happy printing!!

img_20170910_235916.jpg
    img_20170910_235729.jpg
  • Avatar Image jamjarst114p said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Thanks @dunham99 I also printed a new spool holder :)

It really is a great printer and I am not having any problems with prints adhering to the standard bed. I also find the levelling a breeze, I am currently printing a Flames of War scale Tiger and experimenting with upping the print speed.

• Avatar Image jamjarst114p said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Tiger’s done! This was on a fine setting but the model was oriented hull and turret pointed up, so I have reoriented it 90 degrees to see how it turns out.

img_01274.jpg
    img_01282.jpg
    img_01292.jpg
  • Avatar Image dunham99141p said 1 week, 5 days ago:

@jamjarst that tigers not too bad looking. i bet that would come out even better using an SLA resin printer.

what settings did you sue for the print?

@dunham99 said:
    @jamjarst that tigers not too bad looking. i bet that would come out even better using an SLA resin printer.

what settings did you sue for the print?

It was on the fine setting so as follows:
    Layer height – 0.15mm
    Wall thickness – 1.2mm
    Infill – 10%
    Speed – 40mm/s
    Printed on a raft with supports but I changed it to from build plate only that was a mistake.

Next experiment was printing the Tiger after laying it flat, I made the mistake of printing the turret the wrong way up that was a huge mistake but a good learning point. I ask made the mistake of switching the support to only from the build plate so some unsupported parts of the model have sagged.

Vertical print on left and horizontal on right, the detail on the top of the horizontal model is much closer to the 3d model IMHO.

The next experiment is going to be with the tiger cut into 4 pieces, upper hull, lower hull and tracks, upper turret and lower turret.

img_01311.jpg
    img_01322.jpg
    img_0133.jpg
  • Avatar Image tomd131p said 1 week, 5 days ago:

what Scale is your tiger? 15mm, 20mm

@tomd said:
    what Scale is your tiger? 15mm, 20mm

It is 15mm from here:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:232248 The models are actually 1:200 scale so everyone scales them up by 200%

He has also done 1:100 models which I will try next.

• Avatar Image tomd131p said 1 week, 5 days ago:

@jamjarst holy cow 81 post they made it. i like it when people post that print work out.

i got to give this a try thanks

• Avatar Image jamjarst114p said 1 week, 4 days ago:

So hit my first snag last night, my extruder is clogged so I have to lean how to unclog it, I’ve ordered some consumables and will watch some videos to see what to do. One of the recommended upgrades is an all metal hot end so if it keeps happening I think that is what I will do, it’s on £50 so not too bad.

• Avatar Image tomd131p said 1 week, 4 days ago:

@jamjarst start a new thread with what your are experinceing with what type of material and what have you try do to fix it. everyone will get clogs and some method work better on some machine.