Beasts of War | Groups | Bolt Action | Forum | What’s your favorite WW2 movie of all time and why ?

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Tripods & Triplanes kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Bolt Action

Public Group active 20 hours, 38 minutes ago

Discussions about Bolt Action from Warlord Games

What’s your favorite WW2 movie of all time and why ? (23 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image boaz35p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

In asking this of you I’m forced to pick one myself and it’s sooo hard … I could name a bunch but that would be a cop out so I’m going to wait for your favorites … just know I probably am a fan of them all.

Min-Maxing the mathhammer since 1st edition.
  • Avatar Image koraski683p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

It’s not a movie but the classic tv series The World at War is by far my favorite. Mostly because I remember watching it with my dad when I was little. That and the original Cosmos series. A few years later his health started to fail so those early memories are especially meaningful now.

“Putting the gruntled back in disgruntled since 1971!”
  • Avatar Image elessar2590356p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Combat! is an excellent TV series on WW2 following a Squad and swapping episodes between the Sergeant and Lt. If you can stand subtitles Generation War is a pretty good 3 part series from the German perspective.

Kokoda is good (Australians in the Jungle)

Bridge on the River Kwai is a classic along with Cross of Iron. An excellent movie that everyone should see is “To Hell and Back” which is about the war service of Audie Murphy and stars Audie Murphy as himself the most decorated American soldier of WW2. To see the guy reenact his own exploits is very unique.

My favourite for sheer scope is “A Bridge too Far”. Every parachute is an actual parachute, those tanks are real, all the planes are real it’s very similar to Waterloo in that it’ll never be recreated.

• Avatar Image pturner4p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

A Bridge too far
    The longest day
    The dirty dozen
    Saving private ryan
    Fury
    Stalingrad
    Battle of Britain
    Kelly’s Heroes
    Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
    The Bridge at Remargen
    The Desert Fox

But of course, the best WW2 on film is Band of Brothers the series…. own it and tell me you don’t want to play US airborne ….

• Avatar Image mecha822284p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Cross of Iron and Stalingrad are first two after Finnish classic that’s name translates in English as Unknown Soldier (in here it airs almost every independence day) that pop into my mind when thinking WW2 movies that I like even if none of those might not be as well known as some other WW2 movies.

• Avatar Image pturner4p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

I forgot:

Midway
    Tora Tora Tora
    Kokoda
    Sink The Bismarck
    Das Boot
    The great Escape and
    The Bridge on The River Kwai

And last but definitely not least, Nolan’s Dunkirk

• Avatar Image boaz35p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

I’m stuck between Force 10 from Navarone or Where eagles dare …

• Avatar Image johnlyons735p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

About time I weighed in here :) So here we go. It’s between two movies… possibly three.

1: Das Boot.
    Why?: This is a movie that (Along with the Stalingrad movie around the same period) showed the war from the “other” side. It’s a compelling movie for me because it gets a lot of things right. The atmosphere, the fear and doubts of the crew, the optimism as they sail out, the terror of knowing they are being hunted. Another thing this movie nails on the head is the feel of being in a U-Boat, the crampt comditions, the dirt and grime, the heat and sweat.
    Finally, the soundtrack is perfect. It mixes the dark deep sounds of being underwater and at war with the racing pace of music when they finally head into the attack. It is a masterpiece of a war movie and I cannot wait for the mini-series in 2018. I have the directors cut of this movie which is over 3 hours long and it makes you feel just as weary as the crew by the end :)

2: Battle of Britain.
    Why?: This movie was made with minimal post production effects, a huge amount of practical effects and a massive crew of great actors, extras and pilots.
    Like Das Boot, this movie let you feel and see what the pilots, controllers, civilians and commanders experienced during this period of the war. It also delivers some of the best lines in any war movie I have seen.
    “We don’t need a big wing, or a small one, what we need is pilots”
    “Control, the engines overheating and so am I. We are to stand down or blow up, which do you want?”
    “So your praying to God and trusting in Radar?” – “Rather the opposite, trusting in God and praying for radar”
    This movie excels in its showing of arial combat. And with good reason too! Nearly every Spitfire, Hurricane and Hienkiel 111 are real. And filmed from other ww2 period aircraft. This is the most “real” a movie of this type can get without relying on ww2 stock footage.

3: Fury
    Why?: Most of you will think this is a typical choice for me, and you may be right. However, I want to highlight what the movie is before explaining why it is one of my favorites.
    Let me put this movie in some kind of context. If you have ever watched Memphis Belle you will understand where I am coming from here as both movie share a similar place in war movies.
    Memphis Belle tries to represent a cross-section of the 8th USAAF while keeping its focus on the primary story of this one crew completing its final mission. The plane and the crew go through utter hell during the movie, they display intense moments of fear, comradeship, blood, sweat and tears. The plane is torn to utter scrap metal. However the real Belle did not go through this hell. But the movie respresents what -all- aircrew experienced and puts it into one compelling story.
    Fury strives to do this too by taking the collective experiences from 3rd AD tank crews and wrapping it up into one story.
    I am not going to defend the movie, as I believe if you look more into it you fine more truth than fiction. Re: Audie Murphy and numerous reports of .88′s bouncing from Shermans.
    What Fury does exceptionally well is the grime, dirt and combat, coupled with how grim the tank crew is as they recount their previous battles and their time in Normandy. The movie give you a highly gritty depiction of the latter weeks and months of ww2 and just how desperate the Germans fought to defend themselves and how futile the allied soldiers felt their sacrifice was. It also plays on how easily allied troops could dehumanise their enemy and even “War Daddy” tries to instill a difference between an enemy solider and a civilian, treating the former with ruthlessness and the latter with a sense of respect and manners. Even if the darker side of his character is always present, bubbling just under the surface “She’s a good clean girl, you don’t take her into that bedroom, I will”

As you can probably tell, I like a war movie that gives me realism, grit, plays with your emotions and provides the viewer with just as much food for thought as it does viewing pleasure.

They said I could be anything. So I became a Tank.
  • Avatar Image limburger1862p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

- Das Boot
    I think the directors’ cut of this one already exists as a series, but probably not on dvd.
    The movie is even better when you can watch it without subtitles in German.

I think they built the entire u-boat as a set so like Fury it is as close to the real thing as possible, which definitely helps sell the terror.

- Kelly’s Heroes …
    Definitely a great one. Even if it’s only to see Oddball’s antics.

- Where Eagles Dare
    It’s probably more of an action movie that happens to be set in WW2, but it’s interesting.

We shouldn’t ignore ‘Band of Brothers’ even though it is a tv-series.

- “Soldaat van Oranje” ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076734/ )
    It’s about Dutch students attempting to survive the war.
    (spoiler : not all of them join the resistance or survive … )
    It’s even been turned into a musical … which I haven’t seen.

festina lente cauta fac omnia mente
  • Avatar Image torros3851p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Has to be Cross of Iron .Mostly it’s the only war film directed by Peckinpah and is set on the Eastern Front and has real T34′s in it and some nice tension in it. If not that then Attack. Filmed in the 50′s or 60′s it just shows the trauma one squad of Americans go through. Then Bridge to far. Some great actors and just good engaging film. I’m going to stop before I list them all

• Avatar Image witteridderludo167p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

The Longest Day… because… well it’s the Longest Day.

Back in my childhood (late seventies, early eighties) it was the only movie on tv on the §th of june. Every country we had on cable: Belgium, France, Netherlands (maybe not Germany, my memory abandons me here) showed that movie. Same for Bridge too Far and Battle of the Bulge later in the year.

• Avatar Image kantor72427p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

So many, all of which are already mentioned here, but i’ll put in my recommendation for them as well :
    Das Boot
    Kelly’s Heroes
    Cross of Iron
    Saving Private Ryan
    Fury
    The Eagle Has Landed
    The Battle of Britain
    The Longest Day
    A Bridge too Far
    The Bridge at Remagen
    Where Eagles Dare

Love them all, Clint and his unlimited ammo MP40 gets Eagles on the list by itself.

• Avatar Image spaced2020652p said 1 week ago:

Interesting topic and some great movies / series people have chosen.

Favourite Movie: How does one choose? The Pianist, The boy in the striped Pajamas, Saving Private Ryan, Unbroken, Schindlers List. All have engrossing and varying perspectives on humanities capacity for cruel brutality, selfless sacrifice, and the desperate will to endure and survive the horrors of war. The Pianist is my favourite film of those listed, however Saving Private Ryan is the best fit for my favourite war film.

Favourite Series: Band of Brothers – Stellar cast and a wonderful portrayal of the very real and human experience of war. And Damian Lewis, enough said.

“I know not with what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones.” A.E.
  • Avatar Image oriskany11944p said 1 week ago:

Cross of Iron – Southern Russia, late 1943
    Thin Red Line – US Army in second phase of Guadalcanal, spring of 1943
    When Trumpets Fade – US Army in Hürtgen Forest, Fall 1944

The criteria are tough to define, but I suppose I say the psychological devastation that the characters suffer is what connects with me. I can’t stand “heroic” war movies. A good benchmark for a starter is watch no war movie where the main character survives. Granted, that would put Saving Private Ryan on my list, but I’m sorry, the sentimental schmaltz is just too much.

I would add the Dog Green landing scene in Saving Private Ryan on a list of top SCENES, though.

Notice these are personal favorites. If I was asked to list the “greatest” WW2 movies as opposed to my “favorite” WW2 movies, the list would be very different. Patton would be on there, Casablanca would be on there, Longest Day, Schindler’s List would be on there, etc. But none of these are even close to my personal favorites.

Battle of the Bulge – Begins December 16, 1944
    Historical Editor – Beasts of War
  • Avatar Image limburger1862p said 1 week ago:

oh god … “the boy in the striped pyamas”
    The end is … well I can’t mention it because it ruins the effect.