Beasts of War | Groups | Dark Age – General Discussion | Forum | DARK AGE – What’s up with this game?

Beasts of War Homepage

Support The Sine Tempore Kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Dark Age – General Discussion

Public Group active 1 month, 1 week ago

This is the place to discuss all your favourite things Dark Age.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Sci Fi, Dark Age, CMON, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

DARK AGE – What’s up with this game? (30 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image metalslayer23p said 1 year, 3 months ago:

I saw some videos of this game and it looks pretty good, the minis also look fantastic, but is it dead? CMON only has limited stock with a lot no longer available (minis and books) and ebay isn’t much better… I really like how the game plays, but don’t want to get into something that probes to be too difficult to get stuff for.

Am I missing something?

• Avatar Image warzan8939p said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Spooky timing with the question, it’s been undergoing a revamp and now a big support push from CMON.

We have just had 3 of the top people who are involved in the game in the studio’s with us, and they are very committed to supporting the game.

Short interview in this week’s weekender if your interested :)

Got a gaming rumour?
    Then email me at warren@beastsofwar.com
    Anonymity Guaranteed.

Awesome, thanks for the reply, just what I was wanting to find out!

Just watched the segment, very cool info, those guys are really doing a lot of work on the new minis!

• Avatar Image meekrebel143p said 1 year, 2 months ago:

It looks very cool. A blend of Infinity and Malifaux, in terms of mechanics?

• Avatar Image davetaylor31p said 1 year ago:

@metalslayer – I think at the time you were checking out the CMON web store we were having an issue with some categorization which meant that over half the products we have for the range were showing up. That’s been fixed now. We hope you enjoy the exciting videos for this week’s Dark Age Week : )

• Avatar Image bearerofwords32p said 1 year ago:

It has been the best series Beasts of War have run since I started watching a few years ago. One point to note, though, is that the Forsaken Gallery on your main website does not appear to be working and is showing a 404 error: http://dark-age.com/forsaken/forsaken-gallery/%22

Thanks for that note, bearerofwords. I’ve notified our team : )

• Avatar Image soulsorcerer86p said 1 year ago:

@davetaylor I am a player that really likes his fluff. So…what is the best way to get into all of the fluff of DA? Was there much fluff in the older, now out of print books? Was it reprinted in the newer ones? Is there a source to still read that fluff anywhere? Or is it lost?

Another question is…in your store is no description of the content of the books (or the page count…I would really like to know what I get for my money…am I the only one?). Are books before the 2013 Core Book still usefull for some reason? If Outcast is only about the Outcast faction….what is the content in Fanatisism, Conflagration, Devastation ect.? What do I get in those books that I don´t with the free downloadable faction cards and faction sheets?

@soulsorcerer – All very good questions that I’ll try to answer in order : )

The current best way to get all the background for DA is to get all the books, there is a LOAD of background in each of those, with an advancing storyline. Each new book has added new background and stories, rather than reprinting the previous stories. It’s not lost, but admittedly may not be as easy to get as we’d like. However, much of the background (not the stories, as such, but the narrative of the world) has been collected together on the fan-created wiki, which you can check out here:

http://darkage.thewld.info/doku/doku.php

Onto the second paragraph. No, you are not the only one that would like to see better descriptions of the books. That information should certainly already be there, we agree. The books contain loads of background, stories, unit descriptions, and art that isn’t found in the rules documents that are free to download. We are working on a plan to create free documents that give you basic unit descriptions to give new players an understanding of the whys and wherefores of each unit for each faction, but that’ll take a little time to get rolling.

As a quick and dirty update, here’s a crib sheet of what’s in each book:
    • Fanaticism (2014) – 124 pages, focused on the Prevailer Council and the new units added to the Generic Forsaken ranks, plus a couple of new units for each Saint sub-faction. (rules wise this was superseded by the Forsaken Faction book)
    • Conflagration (2013) – 140 pages, featured new models for Forsake, Outcasts, Skarrd, Dragyri, Brood, and CORE. Also introduced the Fire Caste Dragyri sub-faction, the Slavers of Chains Barrow sub-faction, and the Kukulkani Faction.
    • Devastation (2011-12, I think) – 112 pages, Introduced the CORE Faction, and added the Cult of Metamorphosis sub-faction to the Skarrd. Also included a couple of other new units for other factions.
    • Apocalypse (2011) – 356 pages, the force lists for Forsaken, Outcasts, Dragyri, Skarrd, and Brood.

As far as rules go, always look to the latest PDF on the site, or the packs of printed cards available from retailers our the CMON site.

As far as background goes, it’s all throughout the books, and it all builds on what has come before. : )

I hope that helps with answering your questions about where to find the great stories about Samaria.

If you’d like to know anything else, feel free to ask : )

Cheers
    Dave

@davetaylor First thx for the quick and comprehensive answer.

So…if the fluff is all over the books…and building on each other…why not collect it? Either in a printed format…maybe in an updated core rules book…even when the rules do not change…the fluff evolves after 2-3 “Expansion Books”…or as a stand alone “Worldbook”…or even better with novels…nothing better to emerse oneself in a living world than with novels :-)

Or you could go your great “free rules” way and make the fluff of the out of print books also available for free. I mean…even “Apocalypse 2011″ is the sixth!!! book in the game and already out of print…so no harm to make the fluff available for free because no sales are hurt. But it could win quite some people over to play the game if they like the fluff…thankfully it gets more importent to have story…and if the superb and characterfull minis go with an interesting story…thats a huge plus that would seperate DA in the competativ market these days!

So..what´s your thoughts on all this? Oh…and is there a german distributor? :-)

@soulsorcerer – We have plans, but I don’t want to expand on that until I can be certain they will happen. I’m sure you can understand why : )

Our European distributor is DiaCash, out of Spain.

@davetaylor Well…I will be looking forward to the things to come :-)

• Avatar Image 6p2s17p said 1 year ago:

Are the books listed above a full list of the books published?

D. Alan Anderson
    Miniature Wargamer.

@6p2s – These are the books that are currently available that aren’t either the rulebook or the faction-specific books (Outcasts and Forsaken). There were no doubt other books published before those listed, but I personally haven’t seen them.