Beasts of War | Groups | Fantasy Gamer Town Square | Forum | Capharnaum – Fantasy – Middle Eastern Flavored

Beasts of War Homepage

Batman Gotham City Chronicles - Click Here

Group Admins

Fantasy Gamer Town Square

Public Group active 5 hours, 4 minutes ago

General Fantasy Gaming Discussion Group, where you can discuss anything fantasy and point visitors to your threads and activities elsewhere on Beasts of War’s Hubs and Forums.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Fantasy, Review, Event, Community Discussion, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Capharnaum – Fantasy – Middle Eastern Flavored (14 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image midnightblue34p said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

I recently stumbled across the Kickstarter for the Capharnaum RPG: The Tales of the Dragon-Marked…a Middle Eastern flavored fantasy RPG:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/328469751/capharnaum-the-roleplaying-game/description

I was just spectating at first, but when they released the Capharnaum: The Tears of Ampharool Quickstart, I downloaded it and immediately fell in love with the setting and flavor of the pregenerated characters.

There is a link to download the free quickstart in this update:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/328469751/capharnaum-the-roleplaying-game/posts/2053202

If you are looking for a more unusual setting to host your fantasy games, I definitely recommend you check it out.

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman5379p said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

That does look very nice. So I backed.

Yeah…I was a lurker for a long time…combination of strained budget going into the holiday season and a large assortment of fantasy games. But when I started reading all of the flavor in those pregenerated characters in the quickstart…like quicksand I was sucked right on in.

:)

It’s a shame that there isn’t a decent range of miniatures somewhere to match. I love miniatures in RPGs

@onlyonepinman said:
    It’s a shame that there isn’t a decent range of miniatures somewhere to match. I love miniatures in RPGs

Most of my roleplaying over the last decade has been pushed to online avenues, so the miniature situation doesn’t usually impact me. But on a table, it is nice to have that visual element even when you don’t need them for the game.

@onlyonepinman said:

This thread on Board Game Geek has someone looking for similar style minis and the thread has quite a few pointers to Arabian minis:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/397927/where-can-i-find-miniatures

@onlyonepinman said:

And one more time…@onlyonepinman – I asked on the Kickstarter comments regarding possible thematic miniatures to use with Capharnaum and this is the response I got:

Jason Juta Collaborator 6 minutes ago

@Midnight Blue: Hi, I’m the art director for Mindjammer Press. Regarding miniatures, there are plenty of options. Check the appropriate sections of the following companies: Foundry Miniatures (Ancient and Dark Age), Fireforge Games (Middle Ages, especially Armies of Islam), Reaper Miniatures (search by keyword, eg Arabian, turban, scimitar), Gripping Beast (drill down into both the Saga and Gripping Beast sections), Perry Miniatures (Metal Crusades section), Shieldwolf Miniatures (Araves), Alchemist Miniatures (various factions). I’ll post more if any occur to me.

Hope it helps!

Historical miniatures are ok until you want to start including things other than fighters – then it starts to get a bit limiting. And scale wise they don’t work well with the few fantasy ranges that have some Arabian style miniatures.

Gotcha.

I’m definitely more of a gamer than a hobbyist, so this isn’t my strong suit. If I can find prepainted minis for what I’m looking for…I’m all over that!

=)

Great news to end the evening…the Capharnaum RPG Kickstarter funded a few hours ago!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/328469751/capharnaum-the-roleplaying-game/posts/2066993?ref=backer_project_update

On to the first of the stretch goals with more than a week to go!

:)

• Avatar Image midnightblue34p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

There are some great and enlightening updates on the Capharnaum RPG KS for those that want to see just how deep this flavorful and alluring fantasy setting goes.

An introduction to the world of Capharnaum:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/328469751/capharnaum-the-roleplaying-game/posts/2059137

Hi everyone,

Today I thought I’d begin an overview of the world of Capharnaum. So far we’ve talked a lot about rules, magic, and so on – but so far not that much about what the wider world looks like. In the next few days, I’m going to look at the various homelands which your Dragon-Marked heroes may come from (and of course which you can adventure in during your games), but, to begin with, let’s take a look at the Known World as a whole.

The Lands of the Thousand and One Gods

The world of Capharnaum is centred upon the peninsula of Jazirat, located at the heart of the known world. To the west lies Al Fariq’n, a mysterious and largely unexplored land of animist tribes and legendary civilisations in its sweltering jungles. To the northwest are the Quarterian lands: Aragon, an agricultural country, dry yet fertile, with its proud horseriders; Occidentia with its knight-monks; and cold Orkadia in the north, a rampart against the monstrous wilderness of the Krek’Kaos. Further south, the ancient Agalanthian Empire, of which today only a few city-states remain, witnesses of past glories: Etrusia the decadent where orgies are an art and a way of life; Therema the Fallen, ancient capital of the Empire; and Fragrance, the city of spices and perfumes. To the east, Nir Manel, a strange country where elephants are worshipped as gods and the palaces are inhabited by monkeys. Finally, still further east, the hot and exotic Asijawi, a sophisticated empire of many delights and entrapments, utterly self-absorbed.

Levels of Technology

Levels of technological sophistication in Capharnaum range from ancient to mediaeval, depending on where you are. The first to develop science were the Agalanthians, whose ancient mastery of the secrets of the fabled Dragon Eggs led them to create unimaginable marvels, combining magical energies with bronze, stone, sand, glass, and even priceless orichalcum. Strange and fearsome weapons, vehicles and mechanical animals loaded with gears, or even buildings which defied gravity, are said to have been some of the devices which once lay within their grasp. The “science” of the ancient Agalanthians in turn inspired the Saabi, and then the Shiradim and the Quarterians. Today, little remains of their creations – a few ruins, a scattering of mysterious machines, in long-lost and long-forgotten lands.

Orichalcum is a brilliant golden metal, often reddish or the coldest blue, depending upon the sun which shines on it. Of unequalled hardness, it was greatly used by the Agalanthians during their history. Today, its deposits are almost all exhausted, the master smiths capable of working it are rare and in great demand. It’s believed that the metal is in fact moonstone, which fell to Earth during the first Rain of Stars.

The Wielders of Magic

Whether used to charm or to terrify, magic is a cosmic force which comes from the gods, who preside over its manifestations. Sorcerers – those who are able to use magic – have different titles among different peoples. In the Agalanthian city-states, they are Chiromancers, skilled in the enchantment of baked clay tablets which can change your fate; in the Quarterian lands, they are the Thaumaturgists, whose Reverence causes the will of Aether to be manifest on Earth; among the Shiradim, they are the Sephirim, whose sacred Covenants are the word of Shirad made real. And, among the Saabi, magic is wielded by the Al-Kimyati, whose Workings change the world.

To Jazirat – and Beyond!

The Jazirat peninsula is the heart of the world and the focus of the Capharnaum core book. You can find a map of it in the Capharnaum quickstart, The Tears of Ampharool. It’s the location of the Kingdom of Kh’saaba, the Aramla El-Nar or Desert of Fire, and the vibrant city-states of Capharnaum, which the whole world covets. But the world is much bigger – the scenarios and supplements in our stretch goals will bring it to you, and the Kingdom of Heaven campaign will take you to its farthest reaches. But there’s more to discover still – it’s a huge, ancient world, and the Atlas of the Known World will push its boundaries still further.

In the next update, let’s take a closer look at some of Capharnaum’s homelands, from the Knights of Occidentia to the Myrmidons of Agalanthia, from the Mujahidin of the Saabi to the Sephirim of Shirad. And, even, to the savage cold wastes of the Krek’Kaos, whose tribes are said not to be human at all…!

Sarah and all at Team Capharnaum

• Avatar Image midnightblue34p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Absolutely amazing turn of events in the Capharnaum RPG Kickstarter.

While the campaign has funded…we’ve hit a dead spot and are having a rough time trying to get traction for the stretch goals. Now slow times are not uncommon in a KS and we haven’t even hit the 48 hour warning yet which usually brings in a bunch of wait-and-see folks. So really nothing to worry about yet…but there have been concerns for the higher-tier pledges that are set to get a lot of stretch goals in PDF or Print & PDF, that perhaps their pledge levels are overpriced if the stretch goals are not hit. Not an unreasonable concern.

Well Sarah Newton and Mindjammer Press just gave a big honking guarantee to allay our fears…

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/328469751/capharnaum-the-roleplaying-game/posts/2071508

Capharnaum – Guaranteeing your multi-book pledges!

Hi everyone!

With just 3 days left to go on the Capharnaum kickstarter, we’ve been receiving questions from you about what to do about your higher pledges for products which don’t look like they’re going to get unlocked as stretch goals. We’ve been doing some planning and projections, and here’s what we’d like to propose to you. We hope you’ll like the suggestion!

Basically, if you have pledged at a level which includes a stretch goal, then we’d like to guarantee that you will receive the books in the stretch goal when we release them over the next 2 years. Some will be obviously much sooner than that, but some may take a little longer – as you’ll see below, there are a good number of books, plus the screen! In Kickstarter parlance, we’re effectively going to be treating your pledges as subscriptions to our Capharnaum publications over the next 2 years.

This affects the following pledge levels. Also, see “And as a Special Thank-You!” below for some cool bonuses we’d like to include.
    • £15 Core Rulebook PDF and £30 Core Rulebook Print + PDF: These pledges remain unchanged (but see “And as a Special Thank-You!” below!) – you’ll receive your Capharnaum core book in PDF in March and in print in April 2018.
    • £35 PDF Master: You’ll receive every Capharnaum PDF we produce over the next 2 years. This includes any additional PDFs we publish in that period which aren’t listed below.
    • £50 Print + PDF Master: You’ll receive the Capharnaum RPG core book hardback in April, plus every Capharnaum PDF we produce over the next 2 years.
    • £70 Al-Rawi the Generous: You’ll receive the Capharnaum RPG core book hardback in April, plus 4 print copies of the Arcana of Adventure player’s guide as soon as it’s produced (ETA is Q2-Q3 2018), plus every Capharnaum PDF we produce over the next 2 years.
    • £150 Capharnaum Cornucopeia: You’ll receive the Capharnaum RPG core book hardback in April, plus print copies and PDF copies of every Capharnaum book and product we produce over the next 2 years. This includes any additional Capharnaum products we produce in this period which aren’t included in the list below.
    • £500 Capharnaum Core Art Master: You’ll be drawn in as a character in the Capharnaum core book, based on portrait photos of yourself and together with a character sheet writeup and backstory, and of course you’ll receive the Capharnaum RPG core book hardback in April, plus print copies and PDF copies of every Capharnaum book and product we produce over the next 2 years.

What About Shipping?

This basically doesn’t change – you’ll pay for shipping on your pledge rewards using the Backerkit pledge manager we’ll invite you to once the Kickstarter is finished. You can get an idea of the approximate shipping costs on the campaign page; at this point we estimate that the total weight of products for the £150 pledge level will not exceed 6kg. We’ll be updating the “Shipping Table” and Shipping section on the campaign page tomorrow with some more details.

What Products Will We Be Producing?

Once we publish the English-language version of the Capharnaum core book hardback, we’ll be continuing to translate the entire Capharnaum line, and add to it with original scenarios and supplements. For those products which we don’t unlock as stretch goals, we’ll be using more traditional production methods, which tend to be a little slower, but we’re fully committed to the line. Here is what we anticipate publishing over the next 2 years. All products will also be available in PDF.
    • 1. The Capharnaum RPG Core Book – 400 page hardback (RRP £40)
    • 2. The Map of the Known World – A2 poster map (RRP £5)
    • 3. The Map of Jazirat – A2 poster map (RRP £5)
    • 4. The Arcana of Adventure Player’s Guide – 48-page softback (RRP £10).
    • 5. The Mysteries of Al-Rawi – GM’s Screen and 72-page softback (RRP £20).
    • 6. Fables and Chimeras bestiary – 156-page softback (RRP £25).
    • 7. The Eater of the Gods and Other Tales scenario pack – 135-page softback (RRP £20)
    • 8. The Atlas of the Known World – 162-page softback (RRP £25)
    • 9. The Kingdom of Heaven epic campaign – 300-page softback (RRP £30)
    • 10. The Anvil of the Gods – 80-page adventure by Sarah Newton (RRP £20)

Note that if we do take a bit longer than 2 years, we’ll still make sure you get your copies of the books above, so don’t worry!

And as a Special Thank-You!

And, finally, we want to you know how important your support is in launching the Capharnaum line. So, we’d like to offer you a range of PDFs from our transhuman science-fiction RPG “Mindjammer”, as a complimentary thank-you for all your help. As follows:
    • All pledges up to £50 will receive a free PDF copy of the 500-page core book MINDJAMMER – THE ROLEPLAYING GAME and a free ebook of the 440-page novel MINDJAMMER.
    • £70 Al-Rawi the Generous: Additionally, you’ll receive a PDF copy of the new Mindjammer Player’s Guide.
    • £150 Capharnaum Cornucopeia will receive PDF copies of everything currently available in the Mindjammer line (that’s 13 books!)
    • £500 Core Art Master will receive print + PDF copies of everything currently available in the Mindjammer line – that’s 13 books! – note that you’ll pay shipping for these in the Backerkit pledge manager.

All additional Mindjammer digital products will be sent to you via the Backerkit pledge manager once the Kickstarter has completed.

That’s Our Pledge to You!

I hope this helps reassure all our backers who were wondering about their higher level pledges. We’re totally committed to the Capharnaum line, and absolutely want to make sure you get the books you’ve pledged for, and that your pledge can continue to help us fund the Capharnaum RPG core book, and even go on to unlock some stretch goals in the next 3 days. So, please continue to spread the word and support the Capharnaum Kickstarter – let’s see how far we can go!

All hail the Dragon-Marked!

Sarah and all at Team Capharnaum

That is just amazingly generous!

I am a Backer of Sarah and Mindjammer Press’ Mindjammer RPG Kickstarter and I can say that they make quality products and their treatment and updating of the three waves of amazing Mindjammer rewards has been exemplary! Now most of the Capharnaum pledge levels will also be able to share in the Mindjammer goodness on top of all of the great Capharnaum products!

If you haven’t checked out the campaign yet, you have a HUGE reason to do so now!

=)

• Avatar Image midnightblue34p said 2 months ago:

As noted in the last post, Sarah/Mindjammer Press added a crazy-generous subscription guarantee for the Capharnaum books being released over the next two years AND added in some great Mindjammer RPG/Novel freebie bonuses to ALL Capharnaum Kickstarter pledge tiers!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/328469751/capharnaum-the-roleplaying-game/description

First the guarantee…

If you back a level that grants you stretch goal freebies (either in PDF or Print+PDF), you are basically pledging for guaranteed stretch goals. (Unlocking them during the campaign helps and might get us to the full-color book with more art, but you won’t have an overvalued pledge level if the stretch goals are not hit during the campaign!)

I’m in at the Capharnaum Cornucopeia level and that guarantees that I will be getting the entire, planned, two-year Capharnaum RPG line in Print & PDF…whether we hit the stretch goals of not! I was at that pledge level prior to the guarantee, but the announcement guaranteed the great value of my pledge…before they announced bonuses!

Second – the announcement that Mindjammer RPG/Novel bonuses would be added to all pledge levels only made the Capharnaum RPG pledge level values skyrocket!

If you Back at the 50 GBP level or lower…you get free Mindjammer RPG & Mindjammer novel PDFs (valued at 20.98 GBP at Modiphius).

Al-Rawi the Generous backers (70 GBP pledge level) get those two free PDFs + the Mindjammer Player’s Guide PDF (12.50 GBP at Modiphius) = 33.48 GBP in bonus Mindjammer freebies.

Capharnaum Cornucopeia backers (150 GBP) (hey…that’s me!) get Mindjammer PDF freebies that retail at Modiphius for 116.38 GBP (if I added in everything)!!!

[Based on my pledge...that means I'm getting the entirety of the two-year planned Capharnaum line in Print & PDF for only about 34 GBP!!! That's highway robbery! Just call me Christopher "Tommy-Gun Kid"!]

Now for the lucky Core Art Master backer(s) who will get everything Capharnaum & Mindjammer in PRINT & PDF, not to mention the cool benefit of getting to have a hand in an art/character inclusion in Capharnaum…well…let’s see…Mindjammer PDFs (116.38 GBP)…Mindjammer Print copies is over 233.87 GBP (I think I missed one even) from Modiphius. That means at my fast and crude calculations, after you factor in the retail value of the Mindjammer freebies (Print & PDF), you get the ENTIRE, planned, two-year, Capharnaum line in Print & PDF, PLUS you get to have a hand in art/character addition to the RPG (something I’d really love to do if the funds were there), for just about 150 GBP.

Those are some crazy values added to all of the pledge tiers, in my opinion!

• Avatar Image midnightblue34p said 2 months ago:

Nearing the last 6 hours of the Capharnaum campaign…roleplaying in a fantasy world with an Arabian Nights flavor…but oh so much more than just that tagline can truly describe:

There have been some shakeups with the campaign pledges, for the benefit of the Backers, but it could be a little confusing for someone looking at the campaign now so I’ll try to boil it down by pledge level clearly.

1. Retail store pledge tier at 20 GBP – no changes here.

2. Capharnaum RPG Book Only tiers – NO STRETCH GOALS INCLUDED
    * 15 GBP for PDF
    * 30 GBP for Print + PDF
    Additional Bonus for both – Free PDF copies of the Mindjammer RPG and Mindjammer Novel

[PERSONAL OPINION - You are wasting your money at these pledge levels. If you add 20 GBP to either PDF or Print+PDF level, you will get a subscription plan for at least all the Capharnaum PDFs planned for the next two years. It is WORTH the 20 GBP. See the next point for details...]

3. PDF Master (35 GBP) or Print+PDF Master (50 GBP) reward tiers.
    *PDF Master – Capharnaum RPG PDF, Capharnaum book subscription in PDF, Additional Mindjammer Bonus
    *Print+PDF Master – Capharnaum RPG in Print & PDF, Capharnaum book subscription in PDF, Additional Mindjammer Bonus
    **Additional Mindjammer Bonus – Free PDF copies of the Mindjammer RPG and Mindjammer Novel
    ***Capharnaum book subscription in PDF – Any pledge tier getting this will get AT LEAST the following Capharnaum RPG books/materials in PDF:

• 1. The Capharnaum RPG Core Book – 400 page hardback (RRP £40)
    • 2. The Map of the Known World – A2 poster map (RRP £5)
    • 3. The Map of Jazirat – A2 poster map (RRP £5)
    • 4. The Arcana of Adventure Player’s Guide – 48-page softback (RRP £10).
    • 5. The Mysteries of Al-Rawi – GM’s Screen and 72-page softback (RRP £20).
    • 6. Fables and Chimeras bestiary – 156-page softback (RRP £25).
    • 7. The Eater of the Gods and Other Tales scenario pack – 135-page softback (RRP £20)
    • 8. The Atlas of the Known World – 162-page softback (RRP £25)
    • 9. The Kingdom of Heaven epic campaign – 300-page softback (RRP £30)
    • 10. The Anvil of the Gods – 80-page adventure by Sarah Newton (RRP £20)

4. “Al-Rawi the Generous” (GM) Print+PDF pledge (70 GBP) – Capharnaum RPG book Print+PDF, FOUR print copies of the Capharnaum Player’s Guide for your players, Capharnaum book subscription in PDF (detailed above), improved additional Mindjammer freebie bonus (Mindjammer RPG, Mindjammer Novel, and Mindjammer Player’s Guide all in PDF).

5. Capharnaum Cornucopeia (150 GBP) Everything Capharnaum in Print+PDF & Everything Mindjammer in PDF! If you like physical print books like I do, or if you want two massive game collections with the push of one button, this is the sweet spot.
    -Everything in the Capharnaum subscription list above…you get in PRINT + PDF!
    -Everything that Mindjammer RPG has to offer right now, something like 13 products (check the Modiphius webstore)…you get in PDF! (Also, these are already completed, so you will get them at some point after the campaign closes.)

[PERSONAL OPINION - This is where I'm pledging. The value between Capharnaum and Mindjammer RPG books is simply ludicrous and far too good to pass up!]

6. Core Art Master (500 GBP) – Everything in the Capharnaum Cornucopeia pledge PLUS…
    *You’ll get drawn in as a character in the Capharnaum core book, complete with playable pdf character sheet & backstory & hi-res digital character art.
    **Everything Mindjammer (something like 13 current products) upgraded to Print+PDF!

[PERSONAL OPINION - If I had the money right now...this is where I'd be. I always love having a hand in a character or story element that gets added to a book I love. I already have everything Mindjammer in print and PDF, but for anyone that doesn't, there's some real value in getting Print + PDF copies of everything listed in the subscription quote above for Capharnaum AND everything that has already been released for Mindjammer! Just the physical and PDF books that you get from this pledge level is worth WELL more than the 500 GBP price tag if you can afford it.]

If the Capharnaum campaign setting from the campaign page and the detailed updates holds any interest for you…&/or if you’ve been thinking of exploring the great Mindjammer sci-fi RPG setting…NOW is the time to jump into this campaign. I can’t imagine you will find better values on these later.