Beasts of War | Groups | Fantasy Gamer Town Square | Forum | Searching for a mat for Frostgrave

Beasts of War Homepage

Join The Team Yankee Firestorm Red Thunder Online Campaign Today! - Click Here

Group Admins

Fantasy Gamer Town Square

Public Group active 1 hour, 1 minute ago

General Fantasy Gaming Discussion Group, where you can discuss anything fantasy and point visitors to your threads and activities elsewhere on Beasts of War’s Hubs and Forums.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Fantasy, Review, Event, Community Discussion, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Searching for a mat for Frostgrave (4 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image mage4524p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Hey guys,

This is a third thread I have started looking to source something. This time it is a suitable battle mat for Frostgrave. I havent played it in a while and do not have the rulebook handy right now. What size do most games get played on?

Once I have the matt some terrain is in order. Im thinking a handful of ruined buildings from foreground or someone, with a few other bits and pieces from Games workshop (Arcane ruins) and Mom miniatures (Dwarven statues). I might do a table in a dwarven district of the city or something like that.

Any input, ideas or suggestions?

Stuff I plan to use:

https://www.momminiaturas.com/accesorios-escenograf%C3%ADa/#cc-m-product-7492731276 – scroll down for the Dwarf statue, it doesent seem to have its own page when you click on it

http://www.4ground.co.uk/Karag-Haim-Offareoz-Dwelling-1?search=oz – seems Dwarf ey to me

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-IE/Arcane-Ruins

• Avatar Image evilstu307p said 5 days, 1 hour ago:

Hey @mage Frostgrave is pretty light on as far as definitive tabletop requirements are concerned. From my recollection the main book suggests a playing area of 2×2 foot or 3×3 foot. We usually play 4×4 – the game can already get pretty brutal and anything smaller feels, as my mate said, ‘like a knife fight in a phone booth’. Book also suggests you shouldn’t generally have more than about one foot of line of sight without terrain blocking – archers can be game winners so I guess this is to redress this somewhat.

I have a couple of game mats from Deep Cut Studios. I haven’t used other mats so don’t have a point of comparison but am happy with the ones I have. They do mats in various sizes so if you were after a themed frostgrave mat I’d recommend having a look on their website.

If you are going for a ‘ruins’ look then plenty of collapsed/collapsing stone walls. And plinths with statues of old Dwarven lords on them (stone drybrushed or verdigris/bronze spare Dwarven minis) to make things nice and thematic. Arches and columns, maybe the odd raised dais?

Also keep in mind Frostgrave doesn’t have to be played in the Frozen City. if you are going to reuse/re-purpose terrain in other games then you might want to go with Forestgrave, Junglegrave, Desertgrave etc.

Best of luck with the project!

• Avatar Image mage4524p said 4 days, 15 hours ago:

I know its light on it, thats why its great! I still like buying the official minis cos I think they are full of character and remind me of Mordheim in some ways, but its nice to have the freedom to add what I like… Say turn some spirit hosts into a frost wraith purely for this game only.

I’ve played a few games but want to get fully emersed in it with friends. Say, tell them Im doing a surprise board game night and have Frostgrave all set up: painted terrain, minis, a mat and NPC minis on hand :)

So 3×3 or 4×4? Cool. If your happy and you recommend them sounds good. Any links? Then again I can just google it.

Im more into a cold one without ruins I can just have as something modular when I decide to mix up my terrain. Could easily be used for other games, y’know? I might use some Osgiliath ruins.

I’m sticking with the name, theme and look, with most of the minis being suited up for the cold as well as how I did the bases, I don’t mind.

Thanks! The only things I need to paint are 20 cultists. Kinda lost steam for the minis a while back.

• Avatar Image evilstu307p said 4 days, 3 hours ago:

Links below, depending on how ‘frosty’ you want your Frostgrave theme to be…

Wargames terrain mat – Rake’s Corner

Wargames terrain mat – Medieval Ruins

Wargames terrain mat – Frost-grave

Wargames terrain mat – Tundra

Wargames terrain mat – Winter

I went for the PVC finish and they look and work fine :)