Beasts of War | Groups | Flames of War | Forum | FoW 4th Edition

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the War is Coming: Warmaidens & Dragonbreds Kickstarter Campagin - Click Here

Group Admins

Flames of War

Public Group active 4 weeks ago

Discussion about everything Flames of War related, including modelling, painting, collecting, fluff, cheese and historical facts!

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Historical, WWII, Flames of War, Battlefront, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

FoW 4th Edition (7 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image highrack4p said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Just purchased the FoW 4th El Alamein box set and the digital copies of Desert Rats and Afrika Korps. Who else is excited about the new release focus in the Desert?

• Avatar Image limburger1625p said 6 months, 1 week ago:

It’s a new setting to me so it is interesting.
    However compared to @oriskany ‘s series of articles about the desert war and the recent El Alamein series the background in the Afrika Korps book is a bit too basic.
    I kind of hope they’re doing a nice fat Africa themed book instead of the basic army books we’ve got now.

The rules themselves are really nice as you get to do a bit more than basic move&shoot.

festina lente cauta fac omnia mente

I too hope they do a nice fat book on Africa. I like how the previous books are filled with so much historical detail that you can learn from. The new rules do seem to allow for a faster paced game. I watched @oriskany ‘s videos from the weekend and am really excited to get started.

• Avatar Image torros3499p said 6 months, 1 week ago:

You could always go to a bookshop and buy a book out of the historical section about the campaign in the Western Desert

That is very true, and I have. I currently have read over 165 books since 2010, 70 of which are on WW2/WWI and 9 of those were on desert warfare. Yes, I actually keep a log of what I read. So much information out there, it is great. But from a gaming perspective, having FoW books which contains so much history, the gamers which are not into the historical side can learn so much just from playing, it is great.

• Avatar Image oriskany11119p said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Wow, thanks very much, @highrack and @limburger . :D Always glad to hear when that kind of material is well-received, actually I’m often worried I’m laying it on a little thick. Enough of the dusty old history! Let’s chuck some dice! That kind of thing. :D

I’ve done quite a bit of writing for the Desert War (not just Western Desert). Most of it is gaming related, although for a different kind of game (Panzer Leader – hex and counters). But if there’s a spot / battle that interests you in particular, I can forward research to make scenario design a little easier.

September 19, 1777240th Anniversary – First Battle of Freeman’s Farm (Saratoga)
  • Avatar Image highrack4p said 6 months ago:

Finished building the El Alamein set, some 8.8 AA guns, British 25 pounders, and some OP carriers. Painting shall commence!

desertwar.jpg