Beasts of War | Groups | Historical Gamer Town Square | Forum | D-Day Campaign ideas..

Beasts of War Homepage

Grab your Aristeia Box Today - Click Here

Group Admins

No Admins

Historical Gamer Town Square

Public Group active 1 hour, 5 minutes ago

General Historical Gaming Discussion Group, where you can discuss anything historical and point visitors to your threads and activities elsewhere on Beasts of War’s Hubs and Forums.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Historical, WWI, WWII, Review, Event, Community Discussion, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

D-Day Campaign ideas.. (8 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image jamest123217p said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Hi guys,

Played a game of Bolt Action today..

After being inspired by @oriskany and his campaign ideas at the FOW bootcamp a couple of weeks back, I’ve decided to look into setting up a D-Day Campaign. I’d like to focus the Campaign on the American side of things. It’s very much in the planning stages at the moment. I’ve got two hard foam boards hanging about just gathering dust so really tempted to build a 28mm model section of Omaha Beach maybe? I’ve got the figures just need some landing craft..

Only thing putting me off is how often will I ACTUALLY PLAY ON IT?

Will keep you updated on that, but in the meantime, here’s some photos of todays play :)

The layout today..

A German sniper team picks their doomed target..

“Halftrack! Cover!”

“BOOM!!!!”

Thanks for stopping by :)

img_6429.jpg
    img_6432.jpg
    img_6435.jpg
    img_6438.jpg
  • Avatar Image oriskany11724p said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Omaha Beach is a tough board to build. I managed it in 15mm once, for the WWDDC campaign back in 2015. Not impossible, just a challenge. The beach is the easy part – its the bluffs and the draws (beach exits) that are tough. Also, the American landing craft have to be made somehow, as well as German bunkers.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/groups/historical-games/forum/topic/dog-green-sector-omaha-beach/

We recreated the extreme American right wing, Dog Green, at the Vierville draw (the spot famous in Saving Private Ryan).

My attempt at the bunkers:

Some fun with after-effects:

Some research:

November 7, 194275th Anniversary – Operation Torch – Allied Landings in North Africa
  • Avatar Image piers3051p said 8 months, 1 week ago:

We did Omaha once…

Hi @piers Nice picture – was that a special game organised for the release of Battlegroup Overlord by any chance?

@oriskany Hope you’re well, thanks for the comment. Thanks for uploading those pictures. What I’m in two minds about is making it a permanent board or whether I do something more modular/something I can just throw together, because I think with a beach landing board, you’re obviously quite limited with what you can achieve scenario-wise.

• Avatar Image oriskany11724p said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Well, @jamest123 – just my opinions, but …

If you’re doing Omaha specifically, I would definitely stick to modular. My table didn’t look the best, but it’s got the historical details of the Vierville draw and Widerstandnester 71 and 72. (If you look at @piers ‘ table and mine, obviously his looks 100 times better, but they’re the same general shape with that beach road ducking into a cut to the right).

It’s pillows and laundry piled up at one end, with a sand-colored bed sheet over the top of it, dressed ith some scattered sand, terrain, bunkers, and a rough approximation of the beach road. As dumb as that sounds – it worked for the base of the table. And of course, it could be taken apart afterwards.

If you want a permanent board, I think a more “generic” (and thus versatile) beach would serve you much better. Utah had none of those big bluffs, you could use a Utah-themed beach board for other beach assaults, including Sword, Juno, perhaps even the Pacific with a few palm trees chucked in. But beaches like Omaha and Gold are more distinctive with those bluffs, which is why most “casual” wargamers who use a generic beach board for Omaha are getting it wrong.

Just speaking for myself, everything I build is modular. I don’t have the luxury of a gaming club, or a store, or even a group usually, or anything like that. If it can’t fit in an Office Depot copy paper box afterwards, I can’t use it. :D

• Avatar Image piers3051p said 8 months, 1 week ago:

To be honest I think @Oriskany is bang on with his advice.

We used our board three times… his method makes much more sense!

Hi @Oriskany

Yeah thanks for your advice. That is what’s putting me off building such a complex board. I know I won’t use it enough. Might have to re think this one.. I know there are beach landing mats out there (like we’ve seen here on BOW and they’ve proved they can play more than just D-Day on them).
    On the other hand if it’s just one game then bed sheets and a few bunkers might have to do.. I know what you mean about space as well – I’m lacking it somewhat myself in my tiny flat (or apartment as you guys would call it ;) )