Beasts of War | Groups | Historical Gamer Town Square | Forum | Confederate Flags Brigade/div Commaders?

Beasts of War Homepage

Fantasy Flight Games World Championships 2018 Streaming Live May 1st to 6th - Click Here

Group Admins

No Admins

Historical Gamer Town Square

Public Group active 11 hours, 14 minutes ago

General Historical Gaming Discussion Group, where you can discuss anything historical and point visitors to your threads and activities elsewhere on Beasts of War’s Hubs and Forums.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Historical, WWI, WWII, Review, Event, Community Discussion, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Confederate Flags Brigade/div Commaders? (12 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image andreas19908p said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Going to start a painting up a 15mm Confederate army while my brother is doing the union ,
    But trying to find information about Confederate Brigade/div Officers Flags. i know that the union had a system of flags showing were the commander were and symbols on the flag showing what unit he commands. But for the Confederate i have a hard time finding information. Did they have the nation flag? or no flag at all?

• Avatar Image torros4378p said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Didn’t the Southern stats just use their state flag?

This might help

http://txscv.tripod.com/csa.htm

• Avatar Image oriskany13237p said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Very few corps, division, or brigade flags that I can remember. I know some of the ARMY-level HQs (e.g., Army of Northern Virginia) had their own flags …

Battle of Villers-Bretonneux – April 24, 1918 – 100th Anniversary
    History’s First Tank vs. Tank Engagement

Historical Editor – Beasts of War
    confederate-battle-flags.jpg

Okay, looks like most of the regiments had their flags as a variant of the army flag or square national “Southern Cross” or “Stars & Bars” flag) with the regimental number and designation on them.

rgt-flag-28th-vg-inf.jpg

Regimental flags seem to be variants of the stars & bars classic, with the regimental name somewhere on them, along with battles in which the regiment has fought.

confederate-bfs-more-examples.jpg

This site has tons of information, and miniature flags for purchase.

http://www.miniatuurwereld.com/Rofur-flags/traders-figurenbilder%5B1%5D/ACW/ACW-eng.htm

thanks this help me alot.
    going to base the army on battle of gettysburg so have to watch the old Gettysburg movie ; )

• Avatar Image bigdave473p said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Great film! One of my favourites. Gods and Generals isn’t bad either.

yeah have to watch that too ; )

• Avatar Image bigdave473p said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Field of Lost Shoes is another one I’ve grown to like, have to mull it over and see if I can come up with some suitable house rules for a battalion of cadets… Information on regimental standards, and plenty on brigade and corps flags on the union side at least but I see what you mean, it is a bit of a struggle. I’m yet to finish painting my ACW stuff so haven’t got as far as sorting out the flags for anyone other than my zouaves just yet but I’d be tempted to use something like Hardee’s divisional flag or an unadorned battle flag for the Army of Northern Virginia. Not ideal by any means but depends how comfortable you are in fudging it.

I think i am going to paint up Pickett’s div at gettysburg , found this website showing all the regiment flags https://civilwartalk.com/threads/picketts-flags.101943/ for 15mm its easy they basically all have the same flags in that scale . In the movie Gettysburg general Pickett/longstreet/heath have the stainless Banner . but general Lee/Hood have the stars and bars for some reason , and i know that the movie did alot to make it as historical accuracy possible , so i assume they got this part right, so i think i am going to go with the stainless banner for general Pickett , still wonder if the brigade commanders had a flag?

• Avatar Image commodorerob2048p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

I am a bit late to the party on this one and @oriskany has pretty much answered the question.

I did a lot of research on flags when I was working on my 6mm confederates, and in the end I just decided to go abstract as there was such a plethora of flags. So most of my units have a Southern Battle Flags. I currently have about 600 infantry figures in five divisions making up a single corp of what is intended to be a 3 Corp Army at the moment I have Polks flag used for this first Corp. :-)

Official Graduate of the Oriskany Operational Warfare Military Gaming Academy
    Bootcamp Veteran: Dropzone Commander, Bolt Action, Team Yankee, Walking Dead, Dropfleet Commander, Flames of War, Hobby Camp, Wolsung