Beasts of War | Groups | Historical Gamer Town Square | Forum | Muskets & Tomahawks on the endangered list

Beasts of War Homepage

Infinity Beyond Packs Pre-Order Now - Click Here

Group Admins

No Admins

Historical Gamer Town Square

Public Group active 3 hours, 29 minutes ago

General Historical Gaming Discussion Group, where you can discuss anything historical and point visitors to your threads and activities elsewhere on Beasts of War’s Hubs and Forums.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Historical, WWI, WWII, Review, Event, Community Discussion, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Muskets & Tomahawks on the endangered list (14 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image redben7339p said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

North Star announced last week that the English language version was down to 30 copies and would not be getting a reprint. Now Studio Tomahawk have said that the French language version is down to less than fifty copies and will not be getting a reprint. It seems that once what remains of the current print runs is sold, then M&T will officially fall out of print.

• Avatar Image keitha33p said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Sad news. I’d hope always a chance of a new edition if the demand is there. These things always tend to be cyclic, with a new range of figures or a film etc. igniting interest again.
    I can see this happening with a lot of the skirmish type games released over the last five years or so – there’s so much choice right now and keeping everything in print isn’t viable for smaller companies.

• Avatar Image stvitusdancern641p said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Just ordered my copy.

BoW Gianna spreading gaming love one continent at a time.
  • Avatar Image avernos877p said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Shame, I was toying with picking up Skraeling’s for Saga and then possibly would’ve moved sideways into M&T. Not to be it seems

Sophia LIVES!!!

Wargamers are like smokers, get them hooked young and they’re yours for life!

• Avatar Image panzerkaput609p said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

@avernos still get the Skraeling’s, footsore do some nice ones and use Donnybrook instead M&T as the Doonybrook rules are also very Saga like and I personally think better than M&T

• Avatar Image zeker1966406p said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

They should put the pdf up for sale on Wargamer Vault.

• Avatar Image bigdave387p said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

@zeker1966 pdf is a good shout, working in the print industry I know how expensive small runs can be at a traditional printers (not much experience with digital printing tbh having come from a litho background, now in flexo) but at the same time, terrible to see something like this fade away. Sell the pdf online instead as you say, keep it alive. With more coverage I can see Saga really taking off and from there, can hopefully broaden the pool of interest for Muskets…

• Avatar Image ghostbear230p said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thats a bummer, I always considered it, but other things always came up.

• Avatar Image dags1671p said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

I have looked at it a few times, anyone able to give a very rough description of rules/play experience? If you could be so kind :)

• Avatar Image dags1671p said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Oh and cheers for the heads up @redben

• Avatar Image oriskany10587p said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Sort of half-used a friend’s copy to run the American Revolution games in my article series last year. Meh. Honestly I don’t think I was the game’s target audience. A big draw of the game is the “secondary secret objectives” that are drawn from a deck, I think, used to “proceduraly- generate” (yikes – using a video game term) history and narrative for your game. Well, if you’re familiar with the history of the skirmish or battle you’re recreating, you don’t need that. And when I looked to buy my own copy, I was stunned by the price. Something like $40-60 for a side-saddle stitched stapled publication? Basically, a glorified magazine?

I don’t wanna be that guy, but honestly, mediocre and overpriced. But again, I may not have been the target audience.

July 12, 1943Battle of Prokhorovka (largest single tank engagement in history) – Part of the Battle of Kursk (July-August 1943)
  • Avatar Image elessar2590227p said 4 months, 1 week ago:

I like the game it’s quick and easy but as @oriskany said there are better games out there. For pick up games or a few of us having some fun on a games night it’s great because we can just grab minis, throw out some terrain and roll dice.

For my serious (historically based games rather than points matches) I almost always use Sharpes Practice 2.Muskets and Tomahawks is a great game but it doesn’t go as in depth as I’d sometimes like but that in itself is a bonus.

@dags you’re in luck. I did some articles a while ago for Beasts of War on the game. http://www.beastsofwar.com/muskets-tomahawks/french-indian-war-part-one/

• Avatar Image dags1671p said 4 months, 1 week ago:

@elessar2590 thanks I will have a look.

• Avatar Image koraski643p said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

I just read Northstar’s weekly newsletter:

“Normally we’re telling you what is coming out, but I just want to tell you what is being withdrawn here. After years of success, the game Muskets and Tomahawks has sold out. It’s had three print runs, but we’re not reprinting again in anticipation of a Second Edition from Studio Tomahawks. We are also ‘mothballing’ the figure range for the time being as well.”

Hopefully we will see a new edition in the not so distant future!

“Putting the gruntled back in disgruntled since 1971!”