Beasts of War | Groups | Historical Gamer Town Square | Forum | Sharp Practice After Party

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Tripods & Triplanes kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

No Admins

Historical Gamer Town Square

Public Group active 1 hour, 2 minutes ago

General Historical Gaming Discussion Group, where you can discuss anything historical and point visitors to your threads and activities elsewhere on Beasts of War’s Hubs and Forums.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Historical, WWI, WWII, Review, Event, Community Discussion, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Sharp Practice After Party (47 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image elessar2590348p said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Hey guys feel free to post some of your own pictures and stories about the Black Powder Period.

I had a game of Sharp Practice on the weekend that I’ll post some pictures of throughout the week as I get a chance.

What did you think of the latest Sharp Practice Article? Any improvements or additions you’d like to see in the future?

What’s your weirdest set of minis that you’ve collected over the years? Mine has to be some 1860′s Austrians and Italians. I have no idea where, why or how I got them and know absolutely nothing about the period but they look cool in the display case.

What music do you listen to when you’re painting minis or do you listen to something else? I switch between Podcasts and Metal myself what about you guys?

Let’s share some wacky historical facts, gaming stories and share pictures of what you’re working on at the moment.

• Avatar Image oriskany11895p said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Awesome, a support thread! :D Hopefully we’ll see some of those Sharpe’s Rifles photos you mention.

I thought the article was actually pretty great.

I don’t really have any strange miniatures, I’ve only been into miniature gaming for about three years and “buy by project” – buying miniatures that I need for specific projects. I have a steampunk miniature Justin gave me at the Team Yankee boot camp that is pretty strange, at least for me. :D

I din’t have a lot of black powder wargame photos that I haven’t put in the Saratoga series, but I’ll see what I can find. :D

Battle of the Chosin Reservoir, November 27 to December 13, 1950 – Semper Fi USMC
    Historical Editor – Beasts of War

Here’s the Army Lists for both sides.

Union

Leader Status III
    Three Groups of Eight Infantry

Leader Status II
    Three Groups of Eight Infantry

Leader Status II
    Two Groups of Eight Infantry

Leader Status I
    Six Skirmishers

Confederates

Leader Status III
    Three Groups of 8 Infantry

Leader Status II
    Two Groups of 8 Infantry

Leader Status I
    Two Groups of 6 Skirmishers

Leader Status I
    Light Artillery

All the miniatures are Perry Miniatures and this list could easily be replicated with the Perry ACW Starter Set split between two people. For expansion just add some Cavalry to the Union and beef up the Confederate units to get bigger games out of the forces.

As requested, here are some black powder images from my 20mm AWI armies.

Based and in battle. :D

amrev-013.jpg
    amrev-043.jpg
    amrev-092.jpg
    amrev-105.jpg
    based-and-in-battle.jpg

Wow nice collection.

Here’s some pictures of one of my Sharp Practice American Revolution Games.

American Patriot takes aim and kills the British Officer in the first turn.

The Militia shakily prepare for what’s to come.

USMC march to take a farmhouse from the enemy.

771.jpg
    882.jpg
    991.jpg
  • Avatar Image commodorerob1694p said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

I had not realised that Sharp Practice covered ACW, I may now have to invest to add it to my growing collection of ACW rules. the only down side is all my ACW stuff is in 6mm…lol

Official graduate of the Oriskany Operational Warfare Military Gaming Academy
    Bootcamp Veteran: Dropzone Commander, Bolt Action, Team Yankee, Walking Dead, Dropfleet Commander, Flames of War, Hobby Camp, Wolsung

@commodorerob there should be a 6mm conversion scale out there somewhere and the rules would scale up nicely. Instead of you Officers being Lieutenants they’ll be Colonels and instead of burning a house you’ll be burning the village.

It would definitely be an interesting experiment but alas I can’t decide what 6mm Period I want to collect so I don’t have the minis to try it out.

• Avatar Image torros3841p said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

As I think I posted somewhere else I would just place a few figures on a 2p and use it as a 28mm figure. I haven’t got the rules but I suppose if you just reduced the ranges it would play ok

One of my favourite bloggers has done FIW in 6mm

https://rollaone.com/2016/08/29/fiw-sharp-practice-in-6mm-part-1/

Thanks, @elessar2590 – I like your Continental Militia line as well.

Not sure how they are in Sharpe’s Practice, but in our Battlesystem games (and historically) they’re solid on firepower and passable on melee (mostly armed with Brown Bess and Bayonet) – but DAMN their morale is weak. So including the word “Shakily” in your caption was very appropriate.

Of course not “all militias were created equal.” Many of John Stark’s Vermont militias were quite solid because they’d actually been former Continental regulars. Others, like the Miniutemen, were VERY skittish and unreliable. Despite the fame they get here in the States, they were some of the worst troops anyone at the time.

Sharp Practice has two Militia variants through their Special Rules “Hearth and Home” (More detail in the next installment) where if they’re fighting in their home region defensively they get a slight moral boost but if they’re away from home they get a combat penalty. I normally run militia at a slightly cheaper points cost and also give them the “No Bayonets” which takes some of their melee dice away. Basically depending on the narrative of the game militia behave differently.

In melee each group get 6D6 and adds dice for being better quality, agressive, being in the “Present” firing step and a few others and loses D6 for being unloaded, not having bayonets, and a few others.

I normally use Militia as a reserve of firepower. So you engage the enemy with your main line, damage one another then pull back and fire your 30 militia at an already damaged enemy. Going toe to toe with Regulars will get them torn to pieces in melee but can hold their own with shooting although they can’t fire controlled which means they’re less accurate but faster firing.

The Board after a few turns.

Grapeshot, at close range, in the flank is extremely powerful but the Union only needed to get the first activation and they win the game so worth the risk?

The Confederate Centre is barely holding out but Union Moral is at it’s breaking point after losing their Force Commander.

999.jpg
    99991.jpg
    999991.jpg

Good grief! That poor Federal infantry advancing point blank past that Confederate gun! Talk about enfilade fire! Yeah, I would say “extremely powerful” is a fair description. I see what you mean, that Federal unit had better win that initiative check. :o

I was taken aback when the Union player did it but he was confident the next card was his. He was doing all the proper rituals and had indeed sacrificed many dice.

The cannon did over twenty points of shock, killed a whole group of men and managed to take out the Leader. We both learned that cannons aren’t to be messed with at close range but ‘Who Dares Wins’.

To go back to your first comment. I listen to audio books while I paint

Yeah, “Who Dares Wins.” :| They may have said the same thing right before Pickett’s Charge, Marye’s heights at Fredericksburg, the Battle of the Crater … or the Battle of Balaclava to move out of the ACW but stay within the time period. :D