Beasts of War | Groups | Historical Gamer Town Square | Forum | Team Yankee T-64

Beasts of War Homepage

Find Out More Battle Systems Core Space - Click Here

Group Admins

No Admins

Historical Gamer Town Square

Public Group active 1 hour, 9 minutes ago

General Historical Gaming Discussion Group, where you can discuss anything historical and point visitors to your threads and activities elsewhere on Beasts of War’s Hubs and Forums.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Historical, WWI, WWII, Review, Event, Community Discussion, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Team Yankee T-64 (8 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image benc245p said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Picked up the Red Thunder expansion for my Soviets last weekend and had my first game using the new T-64. The new starter set has 5 x T-64 so I ran my existing T-72s as ’64s. The AT-8 Songster missile is well worth the points and proved a nasty surprise to my regular opponent who runs a Leopard 2 heavy force.

I’ve gone for the Soviet 3 tone pattern as a change from my existing standard green T-72s. i’m seeing a lot of T-64 in my future.

Ben_C
    Pointy stick instigator
    Lloydoslavian War Veteran
    t-64.jpg
  • Avatar Image oriskany11656p said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Nice! Where do you get the T-64? Is Red Thunder from Battlefront? (Sorry if I’m late to the party and clueless).

T-64 = one of the most underrated tanks GSFG / Cold War.

Now all we need is T-80s for an actually “accurate” GSFG force. So far I’ve been using my T-72 Zvezda variants with the K5 reactive armor as T-80 proxies.

November 7, 194275th Anniversary – Operation Torch – Allied Landings in North Africa
  • Avatar Image benc245p said 4 months, 1 week ago:

@oriskany Red Thunder is the latest TY release from Battlefront. It updates the Soviet force lists and introduces the T-64, BTR-60, SA-9 Gaskin, SA-8 Gecko, the BRDM series, 2S3 Acacia heavy arty and others. It build upon the two original force structures (T-72 Bn or BMP Motor Rifle Bn).

The book is written in the semi-narrative style of Leopard and Iron Maiden and it launched last Friday. Surprised the BoW haven’t mentioned/covered the launch in any way.

In game terms the T-64 is faster than the T-72, has 1 extra front armour and can fire the AT-8 Songster ATGM (48 inch range on that bad boy) even on the move.

Likewise, I’m glad to see the T-64 in the game to more accurately cover the GSFG.
    The T-64 is my new best friend.

• Avatar Image jamesevans140907p said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Like it! :-D
    One of the things I love above Soviet equipment of this period is the camo they used, especially the parade specials.

• Avatar Image ghent99458p said 4 months ago:

No one in my area has gotten the shipments yet. Hopefully I can pick something up this Wed when I head into town. I have something special in mind for my East Germans and the rest of the Soviet force will stay in a flexible left Soviet style of paint scheme.

The thing that really interests me with the new T64 releases is there ability (from what I have read) to take down the fortress style NATO armor.

Enjoy your hobby, your way!
  • Avatar Image ghent99458p said 4 months ago:

@benc your paint scheme came out wonderfully, great job!

• Avatar Image benc245p said 4 months ago:

@ghent99 Thanks

My regular opponent runs a Leopard 2 heavy force and is used to popping my T-72s at long range. The first massed volley of AT-8 Songster missiles, fired from outside his max gun range, made him have a rethink of how to fight the Soviets. Need to play more games with the T-64 to get a better opinion but first impressions are good.

They still get turned inside out by a Leopard 2 at close range though :)

burn-l2.jpg
  • Avatar Image oriskany11656p said 4 months ago:

Awesome photos and paint scheme, @benc@ghent99 is totally right about that. :D

We have some Team Yankee-theme content / articles hopefully coming up soon, mostly opinion and analysis pieces, covering topics such as . . . (a) what would this scenario really have looked like? (b) what does Team Yankee’s source material (Harold Coyle and Sir John Hackett’s Third World War: August 1985 get right? What does it get less than perfect, etc.

I gotta say, the introduction of this new Soviet expansion really starts to shift things in a positive direction. Not only do we get more options, historically more accurate units, but if what @benc says is true, and the T-64 is measurably better than the T-72, than big kudos and an “Oriskany Thumbs Up” for the Red Thunder expansion. :D