Beasts of War | Groups | Historical Gamer Town Square | Forum | Wargaming in Vietnam – It’s Time to Start Your Tour of Duty!

Beasts of War Homepage

HEROES OF FALLEN FRONTIERS on Kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

No Admins

Historical Gamer Town Square

Public Group active 40 minutes ago

General Historical Gaming Discussion Group, where you can discuss anything historical and point visitors to your threads and activities elsewhere on Beasts of War’s Hubs and Forums.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Historical, WWI, WWII, Review, Event, Community Discussion, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Wargaming in Vietnam – It’s Time to Start Your Tour of Duty! (48 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image oriskany12693p said 1 week ago:

Good morning, Beasts of War ~

Now that we’re past the halfway point on the Wargaming in Vietnam: 50th Anniversary of the Tet Offensive article series, I thought I would start the usual support thread here in the historical forum. Here is where ‘ll hopefully get a chance to include all the materials, photos, and maps that weren’t able to be included in to actual articles themselves.

They also provide a place for any of you who may have Vietnam-themed wargames of any kind, old photos, war stories, gaming tales, etc.

So please post your own work, ideas, photos, games, etc. With the article series running, segments on the Weekender, the ‘Nam release by Battlefront, and even “Rambo” game (hey, that’s Vietnam “history” right there), there seems to be a lot of focus on Vietnam on Beast of War right now. So let’s join in! It doesn’t have to be Tet Offensive … hell, it doesn’t even have to be Vietnam specifically. Jungle in the Cold War, let’s share what we’ve done!

How about your favorite Vietnam TV segments, movie clips, or music from the era?

The article series:
    http://www.beastsofwar.com/gaming-in-the-vietnam-war/

So let’s get started with some photos from Part 01:

US Marine Corps tanks, supported by infantry (tanks were actually the Israeli Magach kit from Fate of a Nation, infantry are Old Glory).

Part of the Prelude: November, 1967. This village near Dak To in the Central Highlands, is under attack by an NVA company striking out of Laos (part of the 1st NVA / PAVN Division). The attack is being absorbed by an outpost of the US 4th Infantry Division (the same division that landed at Utah Beach at Normandy) and is being reinforced by heliborne reinforcements of the 173rd Airborne Brigade.

A view from behind one of the attacking NVA squads. Eight men, including two fireteams. Note that I always tray to include an RPG with each squad. In the other fireteam in the squad, the RPG is replaced with a PKM GPMG.

US 4th Infantry Division troops stand ready to defend my humble scratch-built “hooches.” :D

Tet Offensive in the Vietnam War – 50th Anniversary – Begins January 30, 1968
    Historical Editor – Beasts of War
    tet-vietnam-05.jpg

Dak To, Central Highlands near the Laotian border, November 1967:

While troops of the US 4th Infantry Division hold ground positions against 1st NVA Division infantry, choppers of 173rd Airborne Brigade land reinforcements and also start carrying out gunship attack runs.

Battle of Hue, Februaary 1968. US Marine M48A3 tanks of 3rd Marine Tank Battalion, supported by infantry of Hotel Company, 2nd Bn / 5th Marine Regiment (part of “Task Force X-Ray”) fight they way back into the southeastern streets if Hue City against elements of the 4th NVA Regiment.

NVA infantry, 15mm Old Glory miniatures

Additional angles:

tet-vietnam-06.jpg
    tet-vietnam-07.jpg
    tet-vietnam-08.jpg
    tet-vietnam-09.jpg
    tet-vietnam-10.jpg

Let me get us started with some music: :D :D :D

• Avatar Image c0cky3015p said 1 week ago:

Great Stuff

• Avatar Image limburger2085p said 1 week ago:

Can’t have Vietnam without also mentioning the Tour of Duty series :

//

/// —-
    These audio tracks might be worth a listen too :
    https://themoth.org/radio-hour/the-vietnam-war
    (Firefox refused to make this website work, but Edge did allow me to listen … )

festina lente cauta fac omnia mente

Thanks, @c0cky30 and @limburger . Indeed, Tour of Duty was a great series, at least the first season. I think “Firebase Ladybird” was my favorite episode. There was also the one where the Lieutenant gets flash-blinded and taken prisoner temporarily by the female VC.

Bien Hoa, January 31, 1968. Just 15 miles northeast of Saigon, we have the US Military base at Bien Hoa (part of General Weyand’s II Field Force HQ complex at Long Binh), under attack by elements of the 274th Regiment (5th NLF Division) from the upper left. VC of the 238th Local Force Battalion are attacking from the upper right. Americans of the 199th Light Infantry are on the defense, while reinforcements of the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment (the “Black Horse” regiment featured in FoW Nam) and eventually 2nd Bn / 506th Rgt / 101st Airborne Division (the same unit as seen in “Band of Brothers”) will be coming in from the bottom.

Viet Cong guerrillas of the 274th/5th NLF Division.

Hueys of the 2nd Battalion of of the 506th/101st. This is the same parent unit of “Easy Company,” – although by the 1960s this would have been “Echo” Company.

A platoon of the 274th NLF bursts down the streets of Bien Hoa, pressing superior firepower against badly-outnumbered Americans of the 199th Light Infantry. Again, note the RPGs included with every squad. The Americans have to hold out long enough for those reinforcements to arrive, making the most of advantages like more machine guns, fortified positions, artillery support, and hitting the NLF as they rush across open ground. But the Americans (as always) are strictly limited in how many casualties they can take, while the NLF is unconcerned with that, so long as they reach their objectives. The danger for the Americans is if the NLF actually takes too many of these positions, then THEY will have the fortified positions which the Americans will have to assault.

238th Local NLF Battalion puts pressure on the American right flank.

tet-vietnam-11.jpg
    tet-vietnam-12.jpg
    tet-vietnam-13.jpg
    tet-vietnam-14.jpg
    tet-vietnam-15.jpg
  • Avatar Image limburger2085p said 1 week ago:

@oriskany :
    I think you might have mentioned it already somewhere on these forums (probably one of the weekender threads), but where do you get those papercraft buildings?

And how do you prevent them from moving at the slightest hint of air ?

• Avatar Image gladesrunner695p said 1 week ago:

I’m not sure where the building patterns come from, but I have spied on some of the construction and I know he usually mounts the patterns on either cereal/cookie/shoe boxes he cuts down to size, craft boxes from the arts and crafts store, or simply on cardboard or matt board then custom builds the buildings. It’s kind of cool to see cities pop up over a couple of nights

• Avatar Image txwargamer8p said 6 days, 23 hours ago:

Great looking game. Well done!

• Avatar Image oriskany12693p said 6 days, 23 hours ago:

Actually, @limburger , like @gladesrunner says, I build all those buildings myself. Everything on these tables is scratch-built, except the palm trees.

I do use some Dave Graffam downloadable .pdf models for WW2 buildings, etc (I wouldn’t really call that “scrach-building”), but there isn’t really that much for modern-looking buildings. So I find skins, textures, or just straight-on images of buildings in Google Images, download, format in Photoshop, and make “wallpaper” for simple cardboard boxes. Windowsills and shutters are pasted on to give just a touch of 3-d effect. Even then, the buildings look pretty simple, but then you make a bunch of different sizes in such a way where you can stack them together to make single buildings of more distinctive shapes. A few add-ons (“attic” window pieces and the little round wooden buttons make great HVAC vents on the roof, etc.), and before you know it you have passable buildings.

If you’re really careful, you can build these buildings where they fit into each other like faberge eggs for easier storage. :D

The chain link fences are also scratch-built, wooden dowels and frying pan splatter-screens from the kitchen cut nicely into 15mm chain link fence. :D

The telephone poles are again just wooden dowels, super-glued onto penny bases, with a little cat litter glued on top of the penny.

The roads are gray-primed strips of posterboard, with strips of yellow paper glue-sticked onto them for the traffic lines.

I also like lots of signage for my urban tables. It’s a great way to turn buildings built for Ukraine in 2014 into Vietnam for 1968 (or France in 1944, or whatever). This is particularly great for settings where the alphabet is different (like areas of the former Soviet Union or the Middle East). Just a few signs and PRESTO, your French village is now a Soviet village or Syrian town or Egyptian road junction, etc.

And thanks very much, @txwargamer !

• Avatar Image damon253p said 6 days, 23 hours ago:

More good looking eye candy and some interesting background for the games.
    How about some book recommendations for anyone interested in learning more or to get the ‘feel’ for ‘nam?
    My own recommendations, purely based on how much I enjoyed them, not vouching for accuracy;
    The 13th Valley by John Del Vechio
    Chickenhawk by Robert Mason
    About Face: The Odyssey of an American Warrior by Colonel David Hackworth, not strictly ‘nam as it covers his career in the army from the late 40s to the 70s, but some really interesting stories, especially his opinion of Hal Moore.

• Avatar Image limburger2085p said 6 days, 22 hours ago:

@oriskany : thanks for the info.
    I do have to say that it sounds easier said than done :-D
    but it looks very cool, especially those vietnamese huts on stilts (?).

• Avatar Image oriskany12693p said 6 days, 18 hours ago:

A little more material from Bien Hoa (15mm Force on Force) that didn’t make it into Part 02 due to space constraints:
    Troops of the 199th Light Infantry about to buckle under the sheer weaight of numbers being pushed on them from both sides. Using reaction activations, they’re going to do tremendous damage against the Viet Cong guerrillas of the 274th / 5th NLF Division as they come across the road, especially that jeep with the .50cal on the back. But it’snot going to be enough, especially after three or four RPGs come sailing in first to pin down some of these key American fireteams.

The same firefight from the NVA perspective, where the RPGs are more obvious. With one RPG figure per 8-man squad, and two full platoons hitting this juncture (protecting the medical camp across the street). even if only half those RPGs hit, it’s going to make the NVA charge across the street a lot less bloody.

Two more platoons of the 274th/5th NLF (their left wing, the right wing is pushing on that medical camp) are about to get hammered by two UH-1H gunships. With four .50cals each, plus two full pods of 2.75 in (70 mm) rockets each, they definitely put a dent in the Viet Cong’s ambitions on this part of the battlefield.

Revell 1.100 scale models for the Hueys. I had something of a rough ride with these two. Two more came in after the articles were submitted so now I have four of them, and I’m happy to say the second two went together a lot smoother, especially the canopies. Jeez, these things came with 16 pieces of clear plastic just for all the canopies and windows, and the plastic was very touchy when it came to “clouding” when it even came close to the glue I was using. It all looked great once put together, but f*** me, what a lot of work.

tet-vietnam-16.jpg
    tet-vietnam-17.jpg
    tet-vietnam-18.jpg
    tet-vietnam-19.jpg
  • Avatar Image oriskany12693p said 6 days, 18 hours ago:

Some of the street fighting on the NLF left flank, after their ranks had been thinned somewhat by those helicopter gunship strikes.

Lead tanks of the 11th “Blackhorse” Armored Cavalry Regiment (forgive the USMC markings) coming across the bridge of the Dong Nai river to join the battle.

tet-vietnam-20.jpg
    tet-vietnam-21.jpg
    tet-vietnam-22.jpg