Beasts of War | Groups | Hordes General Discussion | Forum | Interested in Hordes

Beasts of War Homepage

Support The 12 Realms - Dungeonland Kickstarter Coming Soon - Click Here

Group Admins

Group Mods

Hordes General Discussion

Public Group active 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Have you got something you want to say about Hordes?

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Fantasy, Hordes, Privateer Press, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Interested in Hordes (8 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image loucifer96p said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hi folks,

I’ve recently returned to gaming after a long time away and, although I initially only wanted to stick with GW (more specifically Warhammer 40K), Hordes has really caught my attention.

So… my questions are…

1. Is Hordes a good game for someone who is pretty much a beginner?

2. Is it possible to buy the miniatures in the UK? I’d be incredibly grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of some good websites / real life shops. (Or is it a case of eBay being my best buddy?)

Thanks!

• Avatar Image redben6830p said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

1. Is Hordes a good game for someone who is pretty much a beginner?

It’s not as easy to pick up and play as X-Wing, but it’s no more or less difficult than 40K. Hordes forms one larger game with Warmachine. The two are fully compatible and no-one really regards them as separate games (hence they’re often referred to as Warmahordes). After 40K and X-Wing, it’s probably the third most successful minis game currently on the market, which means if you need opponents to play against they should be easy to find. The game has a strong tournament scene, and Privateer Press have made it a point to put together a very robust and balanced ruleset. It does mean that it attracts players who are quite competitive, but if that’s not your thing don’t let it put you off as it’s a very good game and there’s no shortage of people happy to play friendly games. If you are interested in tournament play, this is about as good game as there is for that in the miniatures industry.

2. Is it possible to buy the miniatures in the UK? I’d be incredibly grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of some good websites / real life shops. (Or is it a case of eBay being my best buddy?)

Yes, they’re sold in gaming stores all over the country. Whereabouts are you based? If there’s a gaming store nearby that sells minis there’s a good chance they’ll sell Hordes. If not then there’s loads of online shops. I mainly use Element Games and Outpost but there’s loads of others.

Thanks @redben – I’m based in Sutton, Surrey.

It’s not a part of the country I’m familiar with. There may be others here who can point in the direction of nearby stores and clubs. If there aren’t any stores then like I say, there are loads of online stores you can order from.

Thanks @redben

I had a look at Element Games and they have a lot of really cool looking stuff – certainly enough to get me started! Shiny syndrome is very real at the moment…

Well, shiny syndrome won… I’ve ordered a starter kit and a couple of cool looking miniatures. They are due to arrive tomorrow :)

I think I’m largely going to focus on playing 40K at the moment, but I’m looking forward to getting these little guys (and girls) painted.

Thanks for all of your help @redben

Which faction did you go with?

I’ve pretty much gone for miniatures that I was drawn to for the time being, but it’s largely Trollblood, so I expect that’s the faction I’ll end up going with. With that said, I also got some Circle Orboros guys.

(I recently got a bit of back pay from work, so I was able to use it as ‘fun money’ – my purchases will be more considered going forward!)