Beasts of War Homepage

Group Admins

Group Mods

Lizardmen

Public Group active 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Lizardmen

Painting a Lizardman army – Shades (55 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image shades174p said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Yo, dudes. I posted this on the “What are you painting now” thread, but it certainly has a place here, too.

I just finished my first units for my Lizardmen army. To keep me motivated to complete the entire army, I’m tracking my progress on several forums: this one; the Army Challenge on the WAMP forum; and I’m also tracking it on the Old Project Challenge on the Tabletop Gaming News Battle Challenge #4.

The next units will be Saurus on Cold One Cavalry, followed by Chameleons, followed by Skinks. The Cold One Cavalry and Chameleons are about 70% finished, but I’ve started the Skinks from scratch. The Skinks are now assembled and primed, and I’ll show proper WIPs when I paint their first base coat. Oh yeah, I have a Lizardman leader and a Skink Priest about 50% done, so I’ll show them along the way, too.

• Avatar Image tinracer713p said 3 years, 5 months ago:

hey these look great. the colour scheme works well. Please post some more, plus info on your terrain pieces. The ruined temple is cool.

Battle for Sophia – October 25-27 2013
    http://innsmouthgamingclub.wordpress.com/
  • Avatar Image shades174p said 3 years, 5 months ago:

The ziggurat is a terrain piece by a German outfit, Ziterdes. The piece comes in the package just like you see it, ready to play. I plan to touch it up someday, but it looks great “as is”, so it will probably be on the low-priority list for quite a while. The trees are from the pet store.

• Avatar Image khrystan108p said 3 years, 5 months ago:

lookin good man. i like the mix of old and new models you have

now doing commissions on army lists for any warhammer fantasy list at any points cost, great lists guaranteed. PM me if you need one done
  • Avatar Image dinoman8736p said 3 years, 4 months ago:

The scheme looks very nice indeed. Those old saurus models take me back. Be sure to post pics of new stuff becouse I know they will be awsome to see.

• Avatar Image shades174p said 3 years, 4 months ago:

The Saurus Cavalry unit needs some more detail work and touchup, but I’m ready to move on to other units. I’m calling these guys finished for the indefinite future. That’s how I’m going to survive painting an entire army — leaving well enough alone when it comes to the tabletop!

• Avatar Image khrystan108p said 3 years, 4 months ago:

great work, your such a perfectionest. these are more than table top ready. they are gold deamon quality like. good work loving this army. cant wait for more whats next

@khyrstan: Thanks for the kind words, khyrstan! These paint jobs might have impressed Golden Demon judges 10 years ago, but I’m afraid I missed that boat. GD is out of the realm of the simple hobbyist gamer these days, IMO. But it warms my artistic soul to hear you say so!

Chameleons and Skinks are next. They won’t have the Wow factor that the Saurus have, since: 1) they’ll have a more conventional color scheme, and 2) they won’t have standards to really catch your eye. They’re the working troops — what can you say? The good news is that I’ll show a proper step-by-step WIP for the Skinks.

After that, I have a Skink Priest and Saurus chieftain (proxy), followed by a Salamander and two Kroxigor proxies. Hopefully, I’ll get some Terradons for Christmas, and then they’ll be next. I may have to add more Saurus and Skinks, but I also have a Stegadon in the mix as well.

np man i am really into the hobby side of warhammer. i just wish i was as good as you
    what do you have planed for colour for chameleons. just a idea. i seen a unit that is like different shades of the same colour which looked realy good. only i see you have the talent to do something real creative with them. not just the scaly green. but up to you.
    i think what is the best part of your painting is that you do it all very fast and still keep a high standered of painting

• Avatar Image dracs534p said 3 years, 4 months ago:

hey man,I’ve been a lizardman player since i started, my army is still all those old models. What kinda slann will you be using? Carried or floating or what?

BoW Sam, Hobbit with the voice of 10 men

My Slann will be a proxy, made from a Reaper Toad Demon. I’ll have to build the palanquin from scratch. I’ll also have to make sure that the Slann can fit on the Stegadon, and that I can trade everything out. Haven’t thought much beyond that.

yeah that sounds act rather good idea. i think it should look good what ever u do

Here are my Chameleons. The models depict the Chameleons strapping frogs all over themselves.

I presume the frogs are the brightly colored poisonous variety, for poisoning their blowdarts. Obviously, they’re not wearing vividly colored frogs for the sake of camouflage, despite the fact that the fiction describes the chameleons’ ability to blend into the jungle foliage. That’s a bit of a contradiction, so I had to pick one approach or the other. I opted for showcasing the colored frogs because I think it’s such a clever modeling idea.

However, painting a variety of brightly colored frogs presented quite a challenge for color theme. The unit risks being garish, but I’m comfortable with how it turned out. Another approach would have been to choose a desaturated color for the Chameleons themselves. However, they were actually the first unit I started on, and I had already painted their skin the emerald colors, as a test case for the Saurus. Each of the six Chameleons actually have a different base/wash combination, as I experimented to find the combo I liked best.

So, yeah, they’re bright, but I think they’ll work.

great work as always shades, they look good and i agree that the frogs look good. i am a little disapointed in the way i like special units to stand out from the bog standered so chamelions should look a different from skinds and temple guard from saurus. but thats not to say yours wont look great along your force. your army is going to look fantastic all ranked up ready for battle.
    also i get so excited when i see you have posted new pics lol. keep them coming, great work

@khrystan: Thanks for the comment, khrystan. Yup, I agree that the special units should be a little more distinctive. For the reasons I mentioned above, the Chameleons ended up the same basic color. However, I think their kaleidoscopic effect will have them stand out anyway. Now that I’ve seen the end result, I’m tempted to go crazy on the Terradons and paint them like the flyers in Avatar! On the other hand, I was thinking of painting them a bright but more natural golden-yellow, with funky patterns. Now I’m totally undecided. In any case, I do plan to paint one of the Kroxigors and the Stegadon with slightly more realistic colors. We’ll see. I tend to change my mind sometimes, after I see the base coat.