Beasts of War Homepage

Introducing the World’s greatest Gaming Newsletters! In the World, Probably! - Sign Up FREE Today! - Click Here

Group Admins

Malifaux

Public Group active 2 weeks, 4 days ago

Group about Malifaux from Wyrd miniatures

Newbie looking for advice (3 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image osyrn said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Hey all, I’m a newbie to miniatures and miniature gaming (long time board game player). I’ve been doing some research into how to get into miniature gaming and have come up with a few options, Malifaux being one of them, and was looking for some advice. I recently backed Mike McVey’s Sedition Wars: Battle for Alabaster on Kickstarter (one, because the minis look bad ass, two, the game looks pretty cool too, and I do realize it is more of a tactical miniatures board game).

So, I was looking to start with a skirmish miniatures game (before potentially jumping into the large scale tabletop miniature wargames) and originally ran across MERCS, which looks really good, but I saw some comments about it’s shortcomings that made me look elsewhere. While researching MERCS I found a review on BGG and one comment that was posted was this, “If you like this game (MERCS) and are fairly new to skirmish level mini-games I’d recommend checking out Malifaux. Its a game that really breaks away from the mold to do something different. Plus the mini’s happen to be awesome. In terms of competitive balance the game is pretty tight.”

Based on that, I started researching Malifaux and was instantly blown away. The minis look awesome and the card based (lack of dice) aspect really appeals to me since I already play a lot of board games and RPGs that use dice. Also, I love the themes (steampunk, victorian horror, etc., etc.).

My question(s) is this (and I’m pretty sure I already know the answer based on the forum I’m posting in), is Malifaux worth checking out for a newbie? If so, why? Is there one or two things that will just grab me about this game (besides the themes)? (Quick background, I play all manner of BGs – Eurogames, Wargames, Thematic Games aka Ameritrash (which is a funny term to me, I’m American, but, if the shoe fits), LCGs, etc.). Also, I haven’t ruled out MERCS if someone has a compelling argument for it, but Malifaux seems to be more of what I’m looking for.

Any input, advice, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Avatar Image whatever3p said 1 year, 11 months ago:

The best advice I can give is head over to the wyrd forums the guys there will be able to help you out. They have people who are called henchmen who help new players get in to the game. I posted there and within a day I had a game lined up they provide all figures and talk you through a game before you need to part with your money.

If you love the figures and the general style of the game its great fun and the community involved is amazing. like I said pop over to the wyrd forums and let those guys talk you through the set up.

I have not played mercs so cant give you an opinion on which is better, but love malifaux. Hope this helps.

• Avatar Image osyrn said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Gonna head over to the Wyrd forums now.