Beasts of War | Groups | News & Rumors | Forum | FFG, Star Wars: Legion, and aggressive release schedules

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Tripods & Triplanes kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

News & Rumors

Public Group active 14 hours, 11 minutes ago

A single source for members to keep the whole community informed of breaking stories and leaks.

The topics here feed to the homepage so please take care.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
News, Announcements, Kickstarter, Event

FFG, Star Wars: Legion, and aggressive release schedules (7 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image redben7894p said 2 months ago:

When FFG announced Star Wars: Legion at GenCon, they said it would feature an aggressive release schedule from the start. We might have just got a glimpse of what that might look like. FFG’s big GenCon release was the Legend of the Five Rings LCG. The usual format for these is that a core box is released first, followed by monthly packs in cycles of six.

Their last release of this type was A Game of Thrones two years ago. That had its core box retail release in October, then the first six packs were released one a month between December and May. The L5R core set has also been released in October, but today FFG have announced the first six packs will be released one a week starting early in November. L5R will have completed its first cycle in the time it took for AGOT to have just one pack released. We might be set for a lot of SWL product released in a short space of time following the core box release.

• Avatar Image darthcheese373p said 2 months ago:

I don’t think I ever expected anything else, for this game to be the success FFG will want it to be they need a rapid expansion of the range and a boat load of stock in stores

• Avatar Image sotf31p said 2 months ago:

Personally, I think they ought to be a bit slower than that for total variety of products.

I remember the nightmare with X-Wing where it took months to be able to get some of the expansions.

Something like starting out with 7 products and additional resources.

Go with the Starter and a hero, troop, and vehicle for rebel and imperial. Perhaps add an 8th with a fringe character (Bounty hunter or smuggler type, perhaps something like a support droid). Then have the extra dice/templates/tokens thing.

Spread it out with a few months between them. There are now several games they make. If they hadn’t swapped scales for this, then they could double up with several of the products rather than adding one more thing to draw away from the star wars market with who can afford them.

• Avatar Image jodain172p said 2 months ago:

I really want to get into L5R, again, however this agressive release schedule is putting me off. I don’t have £15 to spare every week and I still have to buy the started box at some point.

• Avatar Image dawfydd1059p said 2 months ago:

I think it’s worth bearing in mind that FFG are probably keen to capitalise as much as possible on the sale spikes of Star Wars related merchandise that occur when a new film hits and in the past they’ve missed out on potential sales due to their developing supply chain not being able to match demand. And bear in mind this also now ties into the crucial Christmas shopping period so they really don’t want to leave any money on the table…

And by having a more aggressive release Schedule for Legions they can give themselves a better chance of having a decent variety of product on the shelves that serves the additional function of making it more attractive to those who want to adopt it as an actual wargame with options for expansion that they don;t have to wait months/years for.

• Avatar Image limburger1852p said 2 months ago:

yeah, with the imminent release (and currently active marketing) of the new Star Wars movie it makes sense to ensure that as much Star Wars themed product is ready for release when that movie hits.
    They’re probably making sure they can handle as much as possible by going for such an aggressive release schedule.
    Of course Star Wars being Star Wars there’s nothing that could ever prepare any company should this be a success …

festina lente cauta fac omnia mente
  • Avatar Image dags1893p said 2 months ago:

I do think that is fine for a minis game like Legion, as there isn’t a normally a requirement for the keep up in a minis game, unlike ccg/lcg. Gw has had really agressive releases for armies even Deathguard are fairly high tempo.

In fact an agressive telease schedule I think would be welcomed Runewars locslly seems to have suffered from the slow release schedule which mini gamewise is practically glacial.