Beasts of War | Groups | News & Rumors | Forum | Games Workshop- Half Year Trading Update to Nov 17

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Tripods & Triplanes kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

News & Rumors

Public Group active 17 minutes ago

A single source for members to keep the whole community informed of breaking stories and leaks.

The topics here feed to the homepage so please take care.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
News, Announcements, Kickstarter, Event

Games Workshop- Half Year Trading Update to Nov 17 (18 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image tobymagill18p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

I hadn’t seen this mentioned anywhere else, but BOLS has a post on the share performance of GW, and it seems the investment in the community and 8th edition release is having a possitive revenue impact with sales up more than 50%.

I wasn’t sure if i could link to an article on another site but the relevant comments are below

” Following on from the announcement made in October, Games Workshop Group PLC announces a half year trading update for the six months to 26 November 2017. Preliminary estimates indicate sales of c. £109 million in the first six months of 2017/18 and an operating profit of c. £38 million for the period.

Over the first half we have seen sales and profit growth in all channels in constant currency terms with the momentum continuing throughout period. These results are in line with expectations for the year ending 3 June 2018 although the Board is aware that it is still early in the 2017/18 financial year.

We expect to announce our half-yearly report for the six months to 26 November 2017 on 9 January 2018.”

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman5219p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Well obviously it’s nonsense and GW should lower all their prices and bring back Warhammer Fantasy battles or they risk losing all their customers and going out of business and these figures obviously show that they doing everything wrong and all their products are crap. Oh, no wait. The other thing.

I heard something, and this is anecdotal and at least third hand, but someone who went to an AGM (because if you buy stock in GW you get the option of doing so) heard that Games Workshop’s new strategy is to make sure that there’s “something cool to buy every month”. So even people who collect armies whose codex and model range isn’t currently in the middle of an update (for example Bretonnian collectors like me – I’m waiting GW, it’s been 15 years…) have an excuse to spend money. So that’s things like the box games that they’re doing or just occasional random miniatures (Dark Oath Queen). I think as a business that’s actually a fairly sensible tactic, especially a business like GW with an enormous product line that simply cannot be sold to all customers. It really makes sense to put things out that don’t require any long term investment but are fun to either play or paint or both.

But Whatever Rowntree is doing its working lol. Wait, where did all my money go? DAMN YOU ROWNTREE! DAMN YOU!

Here’s the announcement on their investment page

Half year trading update

• Avatar Image frankelee106p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

40K 8th edition, 30K, Blood Bowl, and Necromunda(ish) all did what Age of Sigmar couldn’t do… Put them in the black! The little kids here don’t know what they’re missing in terms of the 90s GW Golden Age, but they’re happy enough with their bottle I see!

• Avatar Image kamaron138p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Not a surprise really. 8th edition is a nice comeback ruleset, and the primaris are plain awesome. Those two things alone are enough to boost GW numbers.

• Avatar Image limburger1862p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

You can’t expect a single game/product to put you in the black (and it’d be stupendously dangerous to the company to have such a product … ).

Besides GW have more or less admitted that they had a sort of false start with AoS, which got fixed with the release of the Generals’ handbook (and look … now everyone is doing an ‘Age of Sigmar’ clone …gee … did GW really have a good idea ? )

“a new cool thing every month” ?
    That sounds like the best strategy a company like GW could possibly have.
    Triggering the shiny syndrom is what will keep them in the black for years to come.

festina lente cauta fac omnia mente

@frankelee said:
    40K 8th edition, 30K, Blood Bowl, and Necromunda(ish) all did what Age of Sigmar couldn’t do… Put them in the black! The little kids here don’t know what they’re missing in terms of the 90s GW Golden Age, but they’re happy enough with their bottle I see!

I guess this is like pop music – everyone thinks their age is “the golden age”. To the kids now, Games Workshop is as awesome to them as they were to us in the 90′s. They don’t need to know what they missed because the here and now is so cool.

They’re in the Black because they’re selling what people want to buy, including -
    yes, really – Age of Sigmar.

• Avatar Image redben7894p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Of course, the difference between me and everybody else is that they think their age is the golden age, whereas my age (the 80s) really is the golden age for GW and for pop music! :p

GW was always in the black. They always recorded a profit and barring the nadir of the LotR crash it was always at least in seven figures. They’re a company built to run at a profit.

There’s no need to rehash all the things GW have started doing under the new regime that have dragged them out of the 90s and into the present, but they are reaping the benefits of them now. The biggest indictment of the previous regime was that the tabletop gaming market was booming like never before and throughout this GW were managing to lose sales and revenue. They’ve now joined in.

Yeah, we should probably say put them more in the Black

@limburger to give you an idea of how well it’s working, the UK site has been showing quite a lot of products as temporarily out of stock because they can’t keep up with demand. It’s particularly noticeable on scenery such as the sector mechanicus that are manufactured in China and so can’t really be rush produced due to shipping. Business really is booming for GW right now, whether you like what they’re selling or not it’s hard to really argue against the sales numbers and the turnaround we have seen in the last two years. I also heard somewhere that they’re reinvesting a fair amount of that money in their design teams so they can dedicate more staff to supporting games and get things produced more quickly.

• Avatar Image koraski683p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

@redben said:
    Of course, the difference between me and everybody else is that they think their age is the golden age, whereas my age (the 80s) really is the golden age for GW and for pop music! :p

Absolutely true @redben though it was truly a dark age for fashion and hairdos…

“Putting the gruntled back in disgruntled since 1971!”

@koraski said:
    Absolutely true @redben though it was truly a dark age for fashion and hairdos…

There’s two decades that I look back at (one of them in history books the other in my photo albums) and I ask WTF were we thinking? The 80s is one of them.

• Avatar Image emptynessisform1043p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

well played GW. but on to more important maters, 80′s GW all the way.

If the 80′s were so great how come they ended? Eh? Answer me that!

• Avatar Image mecha822284p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

This shows that while there still are things that GW needs to fix like they overly high prices and some of they sculpts getting overly busy ones that they have fixed are working and were needed. No corporation can forever be in ivory tower and hope to keep they position when there is serious competition. Things includes them starting interaction with community. Then there is launch of 40k 8th ed. that was well handled and really brought sales.