Beasts of War | Groups | News & Rumors | Forum | Robotech RPG Tactics (aka ”Stop hittingyourself! Stop Hitting yourself!”)

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the War is Coming: Warmaidens & Dragonbreds Kickstarter Campagin - Click Here

Group Admins

News & Rumors

Public Group active 16 hours, 31 minutes ago

A single source for members to keep the whole community informed of breaking stories and leaks.

The topics here feed to the homepage so please take care.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
News, Announcements, Kickstarter, Event

Robotech RPG Tactics (aka ”Stop hittingyourself! Stop Hitting yourself!”) (20 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image dawfydd981p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Another month and, sadly, another lackluster update of dubious value from Palladiums new business manager Scott.

Here’s a link to the post itself:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacticstm/posts/1987066

And a summary that includes a shoe from a VERY interesting exchange between Jeff “NMI” Ruiz – PB’s very own banhammer – and one “Ninja” John Cadice – aka the reason most people backed RRPGT in the first place (Palladiums supposed lack of hands on involvement leaving it to someone who knew what they were doing…)
    https://withinthedungeon.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/robotech-rpg-tactics-game-of-quotes.html

Whilst the Kickstarter comments remain plenty salty, I think it’s safe to say that Palladium Books have far worn out any goodwill that they may have had with backers. At this point given they have been “getting quotes” for more than 3 years for Wave 2, a time period in which multiple companies have gone to Kickstarter, funded and released far more complex projects, and given the utter lack of transparency I think it’s safe to say PB do not have the funds or the inclination to complete this project.

Harmony Gold’s agreement for the rights that have let them lock up the Macross IP outside of Japan for the last 30 years expires in 2020, and the company that issued those rights in the first place (without permission I might add) is no longer able to renew the agreement. The odds of PB making any progress in that time are woeful to say the least. Maybe once the rights are freed up and we (possibly) begin to see Macross begin to get some traction outside of Japan someone with a bit of experience in wargaming will take another shot at a game of this ilk, as it has potential. Potential that Palladium have, sadly (and as it seems with everything they do) squandered.

game-of-quotes-part-two.jpg
  • Avatar Image redben7739p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

It’s been obvious the money dried up for this a long time ago. Kevin attempted to throw ND under the bus for it a while back and John has been pretty restrained in return. This is a rare public utterance on the matter. I didn’t back this one as the IP has never held any interest even when I was playing PB rpgs back in the day, but if I had I’d have written of my pledge by now.

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman4873p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

I don’t want to rub salt in any wounds here so let me just say I have nothing but sympathy for the backers of this. When Kickstarters go wrong it’s pretty crap.
    But the level of disappointment I have around this is massive, it makes me glad I didn’t back it. I have some really fond memories of the Robotech cartoon growing up and I would have loved to have picked the starter box up and given it a go. But I think both as a game and a project it’s dead, which just makes me sad for everyone involved

• Avatar Image whiteleaf17p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Holy cow, are you saying this one still hasn’t delivered? I remember talking to people about it back when I only had one kid. I’ve got two at school now. How much of what was funded has actually been produced?

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman4873p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

It’s delivered some but not all of what was funded. The Basic game and a few extra miniature packs have occasionally been seen at retail.

• Avatar Image soulman143p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

I just want there building to burn to the ground………..

• Avatar Image original0timmy78p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Yeah it sucks for them guys over there, I started reading the updates of it after the failed Rifts KS only to see if those trying to scupper Rifts were actually being treated like they say etc and it looks like they are, the Rifts re-launch will be interesting to say the least!

Its 2021 that Harmony Gold lose the rights, the bloke in the comments got it wrong ;)

• Avatar Image tredhed67p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Between Far West (learned my lesson not to back at high levels), and RRPGT, I am skittish about backing all the things I want to. >.<

• Avatar Image withinthedungeon3p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Thanks for the blog plug dawfydd.

I very nearly backed this Kickstarter turd, but once it hit 500K and knowing Palladium Books I decided against it. I didn’t convince all of my friends to follow, but some at least backed it for less.

The main thing is… Faulting the backers on this (not that anyone here, is) one is pretty crappy, given Palladium Books pulled the bait and switch in partnering up with Ninja Division (ND). A lot of folks backed it based on the experience ND brought to the table and the idea that they were going to do the heavy lifting and handle the Kickstarter, sold a lot of folks who were hesitant otherwise.

The level of transparency that Palladium Books has shown with Wayne & Kevin at the helm has been nil… “We can not disclose such and such because of business reasons, based on reasons of… um… err… business…” And it has not changed much with Scott G. “We’re in the process of getting quotes. We did get one quote from a company last week, and a refined quote from another, and we are hoping for a future quote that will beat all the other quotes… Because this is how quoting works.”

It would be funny if people weren’t out money- especially my friends.

• Avatar Image warworksdk431p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Loosing money always sucks, but that’s Kickstarter for you. Never pledge money you can’t afford to lose.

• Avatar Image divineauthority206p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Was there ever an update on Carmen?

Walking in circles keeps the horizon far away.
  • Avatar Image dawfydd981p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

I believe he was getting the support he needed. His RIFT’s boardgame kickstarter launched as planned but failed to gain traction so was cancelled. I don’t believe anyone has heard anything since (I could be wrong on that score though).

• Avatar Image withinthedungeon3p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Stuff on Carmen is on my blog as well (withinthedungeon; link included with the OP). But, the short of it is that as dawfydd said the Rifts Board Game was launched and cancelled after hitting 2/3 of the funding goal… The comments section was pretty salty.

Carmen says they are going to reorganize and re-launch. But no date has been set. If it’s before RRT gets sorted… Or unless they significantly reduce the projects funding goal, I think it will be a disaster.

• Avatar Image original0timmy78p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

There was a render or 2 shown on Carmans Rift FB page the other day I’m sure of it but not much if any updates on the cancelled KS

• Avatar Image evilstu488p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

I backed this one. Disappointing it has failed as the game could have been good fun if completed. My mate and I have spent a good chunk of time getting enough minis assembled and painted from wave 1 to run a few practice games, which we hope to do soon. If the game looks salvageable I’ll probably sculpt, proxy or 3D print the minis that aren’t going to arrive and we can continue from there. If the rules set doesn’t work, well then, hex bases for all and classic era 3205 battlemechs it shall be.

I do feel really sorry for Ninja John and his team though. Must be frustrating to see something you have worked hard on not come to fruition due to circumstances outside your control.