Beasts of War | Groups | News & Rumors | Forum | Scythe continues its very good year

Beasts of War Homepage

Join The Team Yankee Firestorm Red Thunder Online Campaign Today! - Click Here

Group Admins

News & Rumors

Public Group active 5 hours, 10 minutes ago

A single source for members to keep the whole community informed of breaking stories and leaks.

The topics here feed to the homepage so please take care.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
News, Announcements, Kickstarter, Event

Scythe continues its very good year (8 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image redben7542p said 2 months ago:

Scythe, the board game by Stonemeier Games and based on the artwork of Jakub Rozalski, continues to have a storming twelve months. Over the weekend it added ‘Game of the Year’ from the Origins Game Fair awards, to its Jeu de l’Année “Expert” award from Cannes (the equivalent of the Kennerspiel des Jahres), the Swiss Gamers Award, and a swathe of BGG Golden Geek awards, including ‘Game of the Year’. Pretty much the only people the game has failed to impress have been the judges at Spiel des Jahres, who didn’t even give it a recommendation.

The critical acclaim is leading to commercial success also, as the game recently passed 100,000 in sales as well.

• Avatar Image tankkommander31p said 2 months ago:

I’m really not sure what people make a fuss about this game. A hotch potch of systems put together to make a function but uninspired game which does little to live up to the great theme. An average mid weight euro game that seems to have got massive hype for reasons that elude me.

Nothing crushes freedom as substantially as a Tank.
  • Avatar Image torros3395p said 2 months ago:

I’ve played this. Have to say it was a pretty tedious experience

• Avatar Image trukdawg42p said 2 months ago:

Never played, but the Art made want to anyhow……

• Avatar Image zorg3177p said 2 months ago:

any one remember the tripods? on BBC very similar.

• Avatar Image mage4556p said 2 months ago:

Looks like I’ll have to get this at some point :)

• Avatar Image tankkommander31p said 2 months ago:

@trukdawg said:
    Never played, but the Art made want to anyhow……

Just buy the art book and buy one of the many much better euro games on the market :)

• Avatar Image zoidpinhead94p said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

I’ve played this quite a few times with my games group, all of us are experienced boardgamers, and this is a firm favourite. It takes a couple of plays to get used to the mixed mechanism play but it is well worth the investment in time. The variety of win strategies available and the subtleties in the gameplay will likely mean it stays a firm favourite for a while. I can certianly understand why it is doing so well, after all it is #7 on BGG and has been in the top ten since it came out.
    I agree about the quality of the concept art. Jakub Rozalski’s concept art is really engaging and the art book is worth tracking down.