Beasts of War | Groups | News & Rumors | Forum | THE 13TH DOCTOR ANNOUNCED

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the War is Coming: Warmaidens & Dragonbreds Kickstarter Campagin - Click Here

Group Admins

News & Rumors

Public Group active 1 day, 1 hour ago

A single source for members to keep the whole community informed of breaking stories and leaks.

The topics here feed to the homepage so please take care.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
News, Announcements, Kickstarter, Event

THE 13TH DOCTOR ANNOUNCED (28 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image kommissar353p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Broadchurch actress Jodie Whittaker has been announced as the next Doctor, the first woman to take on the role.

• Avatar Image mecha822201p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

I am sure there is going to be lot of internet rage over this announcement.

• Avatar Image torros3534p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Personally I don’t really care. Just hope the scripts improve which to me have generally over the last 4 or 5 series have been poor

• Avatar Image limburger1639p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

I missed the announcement, but the ‘outrage’ was predictable (and more than a little sad).
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

I kind of hope she gets to meet capt. Jack Harkness ….
    IMHO the series got better once Clara was gone as a companion.

festina lente cauta fac omnia mente
  • Avatar Image phoenixman64p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

She deserves a chance just as all the other actors were given.

I think she might just surprise a LOT of sceptical whovians.

Capaldi wasn’t brilliant let’s be honest and I’m glad he hasn’t hung around too long.

• Avatar Image redben7741p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

I think it’s an outrage gender swapping an established character in a sci-if show. It’s political correctness gone mad. Battlestar Galactica is ruined now!

• Avatar Image dogma2097461p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

I was interested to see Capaldi, but his appointment coincided (more or less) with me cancelling my TV license and telling the Beeb to go get it up themselves. Doctor Who was really, as far as I can tell, the only real casualty from my viewership that Netflix/Amazon can’t fill. From what I can tell, wasn’t much of a miss, as no matter how good Capaldi is, no-one can save that show which has pretty much ran out of ideas from about halfway through Matt Smiths tenure.

Wasn’t expecting Jodie Whittaker, as I thought Vicky McClure woulda been a much more obvious traditional “The Doctor” – but as I’m not sure where they’ve been going with the character anyway since, well, ever, so what do I know? It’s just a shame that it’s taken so long to go with a female actor, as they’ve used Alex Kingston and Michelle Gomez already, and they’d have been ideal for the role too. (that said, it’d be a pretty interesting story to have Alex Kingston become the Doctor someday ala Capaldi’s facial excuse – and have to explain why they chose the face of their spouse.)

Just hope she visits the Tardis’ dressing room soon, cos Capaldis outfit doesn’t scream “The Doctor” in the clip I saw.

Making noises, using colours, and generally continuing to exist.
    Follow @dogma2097 everywhere there’s an internet thing going on. Mostly Twitter.
    Pronounced “Dogma-Twenty-NinetySeven”
  • Avatar Image limburger1639p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Star Trek ran out of ideas during Next Generation.
    This show with 50 years of legacy ? I don’t mind them doing stuff that had been done before.
    Heck … part of what makes it fun is to have a new Doctor do the same things again.

lol @redben
    I had totally forgotten about the ‘new’ Battlestar Galactica.
    Then again … that was a reboot and I never got to see it.
    I think it was horrible and the series tanked as a result, right ?.
    ;-)

• Avatar Image zorg3241p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

may be a good call depends on good story’s to keep people watching wont matter who is who then? if its not.

• Avatar Image mecha822201p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

@limburger I actually like NuBSG but I can’t deny that it has bad ending that does feel rather rushed. I think that ending is important and can make or brake story since if it’s bad then it makes like you wasted your time.

• Avatar Image admiralandy261p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

I prefer they would have stuck with a male lead as that’s been the premise of the show since its inception. A spin off show with Romano coming back in, or the Doctor’s Daughter would have been fine. I’m not opposed to the idea, as they’d brought in Gender swapping regeneration’s it was only a matter of time. Just not sold on the idea, I still think Missy would have worked as a deranged Romano coming back, rather than as the Master.

In a larger context imo there’s too much hang up on Gender, Sexual orientation and Ethnic reference in todays society, even in factual reporting such as politics.

Star Wars has been getting the same flack for its collection of lead female roles. It really shouldn’t be more to say than, are they good at the job, is it a good character in a well scripted story.

• Avatar Image minigiant711p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Heres a small story

I have a sister, 14 years younger than I. For the longest time, I have been trying to show her my interests. For a long time, she was interested but nothing really sparked her imagination. That was until she came with me to watch Star Wars the force awakened. I can tell you why it lite a fire in her, she saw herself on screen, in Rey. She now loves Star Wars. She is interested in Space, and answered to the question ‘What do you want to be when you are older?’ vaguely with ‘I think I want to work for NASA’. She got to meet a female astronaut. now the answer is ‘I WANT TO BE AN ASTRONAUT’ that has been the answer for 4 years now. All this because when you see yourself in someone else, it encourages you, it sparks your imagination.

I think the new Doctor is a great call

“Don’t bring me good miniatures- bring me Lucky ones” (Napoléon Bonaparte, 1780)
    Minigiant’s Giant Blog
    Minigiant Swag
  • Avatar Image monsterhead66p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Hopefully this decision has been made because they have interesting places to take the character and story, not just were the BBC we need to be inclusive lets put a tick in the female box.

• Avatar Image bubbles15616p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

I don’t mind that the Doctor is a woman, what bothers me is that Who used to present such issues as gender, racism, cultural identity with grace and nuance. Star Wars did it brilliantly with Rey – she wasn’t the story, she was simply a character in it.

Who has had many strong female leads – Romana, being an obvious one. Just as the last season was just hammering of ‘we’re all gay, gay is good, hurrah, gay’ and rammed that down the viewers throat now for the sake of it. I’m not even going to mention black Romans. That was just offensive.

The BBC is there to educate, inform and entertain. It’s failing on all of those simply for the sake of Left wing politically incorrect forced bias.

Why couldn’t they actually write a story to discuss these issues? Too difficult? To subtle? Required too much effort?

• Avatar Image admiralandy261p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

@bubbles15 A black Roman was entirely plausible, although difficult anybody could be a Roman citizen.

Freed slaves, non-family or at least non-linear successors who inherited all the aspects, culturally as well as materially.

Freed Gladiator what do you do when all you know is to fight and you get 3 square a day and board provided, etc, etc.

So not sure what your issue is there tbh, unless you need to check on your history of Roman culture.

I think Doctor Who moved on from its historical educate approach when it switched from Historical stories so I don’t think it’s failing your perceived obligation there, it just isn’t setting out to do that.

Doctor Who informs people about morale choice, whats right, whats wrong all the time. For its criteria what does it need improve about ‘informing’ us as the audience.

If it’s not entertaining you that’s OK, I realize not everybody likes it. Fortunately there’s a gazillion other channels and you can probably find a candy floss quiz running you may prefer. Or a film, opera, presentation of the arts, a classic serial rerun, some sports competition you do like, a historical documentary, music channels. Or you could go read a book.

I agree that a smack in the face being preached too approach often has the opposite effect to try and make a group facing social discrimination be considered inclusive. It’s not really going to change anyone view unless they were unaware of the arguments in the first place,

Not sure about the left wing reference as I would hope anyone of any political persuasion would be tolerant and accepting regardless of an individuals, race, religion or lack therefore, and creed. Not sure right wing politics are the right one to aim at, given recent news they seem more interested in talking about the contents of woodpiles.