Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | 30k – Iron Warriors – Horus Heresy – Betrayal at Calth

Beasts of War Homepage

Support The Tombstone Kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 16 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

30k – Iron Warriors – Horus Heresy – Betrayal at Calth (18 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image vitor51p said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

“From iron cometh strength! From strength cometh will! From will cometh faith! From faith cometh honour! From honour cometh iron!”

— Unbreakable Litany of the Iron Warriors Legion

I have made a start on my fourth test for the Horus Heresy using the fantastic Betrayal of Calth miniatures.

I have put together a 10 man squad and primed with black. I have then applied a base coat with Leadbelcher, then a black/brown wash to darken the metallic look.

For me the Iron Warriors care about their armour but not to the extent of, say The Emperors Children who are all about display, in my opinion the Iron Warriors armour should represent strength so the dull iron look is what I am going for.

The next step was to drybbrush with Leadbelcher again concentrating on the raised areas only. The shoulder pads were painted with black and the shoulder pad trim with bronze. I also did some of the details like pouches etc.

I added some washes to the details like the pouches, shoulder pads and the back packs.

I then went back and highlighted the bronze in areas as well as the blades.

Next I painted the eyes white and glazed with red, I am liking the result and it is easier than painting each colour in such a small area.

I also finished the banner and head crest of the sergeant. I went for black and yellow to mimic the hazard markings of the Iron Warriors as I have not painted in this detail anywhere else.

The bases I finished with some weathering powder then set in place with water, you lose some of the sandiness but you gain the benefit of setting it in place and less mess afterwards.

Vitor

iron-warriors-wip-11-copy.jpg
    iron-warriors-wip-14.jpg
    iron-warriors-wip-17.jpg
    iron-warriors-wip-151.jpg
  • Avatar Image seldon91424p said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Very crisp and effective paint job. Well done :)

• Avatar Image divineauthority193p said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Nicely done! Great to see some heresy love in the forums.

I’ll have to get my fists and current TSons project up on here at some point.

Walking in circles keeps the horizon far away.
  • Avatar Image lightsout1985114p said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

These look really great. I really like the ‘muddy foot’ effect you have achieved!

• Avatar Image angelicdespot840p said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

I love these! Thanks for posting your painting formula too. I think I might just steal it one day!

• Avatar Image orkboy96p said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

As angelicdesot said, thank you for posting your ‘How To’. Looks great.

Evil Sunz – Waaaaagh!
  • Avatar Image vitor51p said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

@seldon9 appreciate the comments.
    @divineauthority I love the heresy era best and would like to see how your thousand sons look, the new metallic red arnour that FW are sporting looks great.
    @lightsout1985 thanks, weathering powder does add a great touch for deatils like that.
    @angelicdespot and @orkboy I will be posting the’how to’ for the other 3 legions I have also done test schemes for soon so look out for them.

• Avatar Image epix2p said 3 weeks ago:

I really like them! It is a clean and smooth paint job.
    The eyes are beautiful.
    I would recommend painting the grenades in a different color.
    Also, have you consider adding some yellow stripes, maybe on a shoulder pad?

• Avatar Image vitor51p said 3 weeks ago:

A close up of the Squad Leader

iron-warriors-wip-231.jpg
  • Avatar Image milmaa52p said 3 weeks ago:

@vitor WoW! They look lovely. Total badass!
    :) Looking forward to see how the army grows.

I too use the white eyes with the red glaze, not sure I’m mastered it like yourself, but it gives a great look!

• Avatar Image vitor51p said 3 weeks ago:

@epix Thanks for the comment on the eyes, as for the chevron markings, I did consider painting some on the leg detail but opted for the black and yellow crest on the sergeant. I may go back and do it if this is my chosen legion for my heresy era army project.

• Avatar Image zorg2963p said 3 weeks ago:

they are fabulous looking figures.@vitor

• Avatar Image hairybrains39p said 3 weeks ago:

They look great, mixing up the metallics and black looks really nice and I love the way the mud from the base covers the bottom of the legs makes them fit in with the base.

• Avatar Image vitor51p said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

@milmaa Thanks, I have the Dread and Terminators to paint, just need to decide which legion to go for…Alpha Legion, Night Lords, Sons of Horus or Iron Warriors. I will post up my completed squads of those legions in the next posts.

@hairybrains Thanks, they did come out well and nice and easy to do.

• Avatar Image lunchbox870p said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

They look awesome. In the process of painting some 30k Iron Warriors myself. Mostly Mk3 Armour from BoP set though. All of the Mk4 are earmarked for an Alpha Legion force to pit against them.

I like that you have kept the hazard markings to a minimum. I made the error of adding them to everyone in the first batch and now I’m regretting it heavily as they take ages for what was meant to be a quick project.