Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | 30k Project – The Last of the Luna Wolves

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Tripods & Triplanes kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 6 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

30k Project – The Last of the Luna Wolves (22 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image ghostdog39p said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

A record of my progression into building a 30k Luna Wolves army with only Rogue Trader miniatures.
    Progress so far

Just out of the dettol soup

Project part 2

Project part 3

Next up for a bath – Imperial detatchment alligned with the Luna Wolves

0083.jpg
    0092.jpg
    0124.jpg
    01110.jpg
    0141.jpg

What Dettol looks like after cleaning miniatures with various types of 20 year old paint

what2.jpg
  • Avatar Image angelicdespot977p said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Really looking forward to seeing this project develop!

Me too,providing that the fumes from the paint soup doesn’t kill me first ;)

• Avatar Image brucelea984p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Really liking this thread, if you are short of rogue trader techmarines PM me as I may be able to help you out.

• Avatar Image voidifremoved137p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Will be watching this thread with interest!

How does dettol work with plastic miniatures?

• Avatar Image ghostdog39p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Dettol works perfectly well on plastic miniatures so long as you don’t leave them in for too long.
    I forgot I had some plastic grey knights in the bath a few years ago and when I remembered and checked them the plastic had become very brittle and were basically ruined.
    Also its best to wear rubber gloves when cleaning off the miniature with a toothbrush as it is not good for the skin.
    To get rid off the residue after you have finished with the toothbrush I like to put them in a container of Methylated Spirits.
    I read somewhere that you can use soapy water but I prefer the spirits.
    The downsides are the potential mess,the smell and getting rid of the soup afterwards-don’t pour the mixture down the sink as it will probably ruin your pipework on the way down.
    Also don’t get water in the Dettol bath as I read that it will ruin your mini (plastic) and if there is any green stuff present on the mini,it will ruin it.
    Not sure about resin but i wouldn’t risk it.
    If there is only a basic paint on the mini then a bath of spirits is fine and also cheaper, but because the ones i’m using are very old,iv’e found that all sorts of paint has been used and only Dettol will get through the layers.
    Hope this helps :)

• Avatar Image voidifremoved137p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Definitely helps! It looks like I’ll try the dettol, but I’ll take your advice and not leave them in for too long… My old, first attempts at painting might just see a resurrection and (slightly) better paint jobs!

Forgot to say that depending on how long you leave them in the soup,it can have an effect on the super glue used to stick them together.
    If you get the sweet spot in terms of bath time,the bond breaks down and the joints will pull apart.
    This is great if the either it was put together badly initially or if you want to repose the mini.
    I get a lot of satisfaction in bringing an old mini back to life so enjoy your trip down memory lane.

Some shots of my attempts to bring some other old minis back to life.
    All three are Rogue Trader Land Raiders but the outside two are for my 40k armies whilst the middle one is a recent purchase for the Luna Wolves and is due a bath in the future.
    For the Luna Wolves two of the Land Raiders will be staying in original condition but the third one will be converted into a Spartan by following the instructions in White Dwarf 119.
    This way I will still be following the guidelines of the project by only using original Rogue Trader minis but i’m able to add a bit of a personal touch as well.
    For my Imperial detachment I came across an article in White Dwarf 132 that shows how to scratch build a Baneblade so I will be giving that a go as there were no
    heavy tanks produced at the time for the Imperial guard.
    As its from a copy of White Dwarf in 1990,it still fits the project parameters,even if it is possibly on the insane side to even attempt it.

0035.jpg
    0027.jpg
    00110.jpg
    661.jpg
  • Avatar Image ghostdog39p said 5 months ago:

Some shots of the project progression over the weekend.
    I still have a lot of clean up work to do on the completed squads and the gun barrels will have to be drilled out also.
    I have the final member of the command squad as well as the missing dreadnought arm coming in the post this week so i will post the revised pictures then.
    Next up will be some fast attack squads.
    Cheers.

tactical-squad-1.jpg
    tactical-squad-2.jpg
    tactical-squad-3.jpg
    support-squads-1-and-2.jpg
    suppord-squads-34-and-5.jpg
    legion-command-squad.jpg
    dreadnought-talon.jpg
  • Avatar Image craigwrdouglas520p said 5 months ago:

Fantastic job – I look forward to seeing this develop :) I have a dettol jar of my own ;)

• Avatar Image ghostdog39p said 5 months ago:

Thank you :)

• Avatar Image ghostdog39p said 4 months ago:

Another update on the project
    Tactical Squad 1

Tactical Squad 2

Breacher Squad

Assault Squad

Tactical Support Squad

Veteran Tactical Squad

tactical-squad-11.jpg
    tactical-squad-21.jpg