Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | A New Hobby Space

Beasts of War Homepage

Support The Judgement Wave 2 Kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 4 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

A New Hobby Space (13 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image onlyonepinman5414p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Once upon a time I had a hobby space…

It was pretty cool. It was well lit with plenty of shelves with neatly stored and organised paints, brushes and basing materials of all kinds. It was close to another desk with a 32″ TV, PC and Internet. Everything I needed to paint and painting was my primary passtime.

Sadly there has been a rather catastrophic upheaval in my life recently leading to massive changes in circumstances that caused me to no longer have a Hobby Space. I have separated from my wife and partner of 15 years which has lead me to move out of my home and, for now, take uo residence with my brother until such legalities as ownership of my old house are resolved. That change of circumstances has left me with nowhere to paint and along with everything else I am currently dealing with as part of the separation, the absence of something enjoyable in my life has made life very, very hard. But he does have an attic that between us we have been converting into a gaming area and there’s plenty of empty space up there, so yesterday I set about making some changes. The plan is to transform this into a hobby space big enough for at least two people with wall mounted shelves for hobby materials (paint, glue, basing stuff etc) with lighting.

Step one is to build a false wall to fill the gap between the wooden upright and the brick wall and that’s what we did yesterday. There’s a little bit of work left to do because we need an extra sheet of wood, but when I actually build the desk surface there will be enough spare timber to plug that small gap. I was assisted throughout by my less than glamorous assistant, my brother, who you can see showing his professionalism with an impressive Builders Bum.

It’s not painting but I am finding just having the practical task to focus on has really helped because I feel like I am doing something useful and it takes my mind off some of the more challenging elements of my life that I can do relatively little about right now. Overall I am currently feeling a little smug because I am not a joiner or a builder and have zero woodworking training beyond what I learned when making my gaming Table. But that wall is incredibly sturdy and will take the weight of a grown man leaning on it. I ran out of screws so the bottom edge has a bit of play because it’s not screwed down to the floor but I will be purchasing the required supplies tomorrow and remedying that. Then I will be ready to move on to stage 2, building the actual work surfaces.

I will post more updates as it progresses but the next two weekends are looking a bit busy.

06-1296x972.jpg
  • Avatar Image laughingboy1009p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Having just completed my own hobby space I know how awesome it fills to embark on something like this. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the updates.

• Avatar Image ghent99573p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Still working on getting mine set up the way I want it, the fit out will probably take years.

This is looking good, you on the other hand your brother looks to be prepping for a career in plumbing ;)

If I ever opened a trampoline store, I don’t think I’d call it Trampo-Land,…

Enjoy your hobby, your way!

• Avatar Image commanderkaiser227p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

How long do you think it will take you?

@commanderkaiser said:
    Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

How long do you think it will take you?

Putting my builders’ hat on. *sucks air through teeth and shakes head* I don’t know, it’s a big job…

In all seriousness if I had three solid days to work on it I could probably finish building it and then maybe a couple of additional half days to varnish it (two thin coats of course!). But time is really at a premium at the moment; my normal working day Monday to Thursday is quite long so I can only really work on it at weekends. But I am at Salute this weekend and have a Wedding to attend the weekend after. I am aiming, with all social and work commitments factored in, to be finished by the end of May.

@ghent99 said:
    This is looking good, you on the other hand your brother looks to be prepping for a career in plumbing ;)

God I hope not lol. He’s not particularly practical and can only really work under supervision. He basically put screws and holes where I told him to put them lol.

• Avatar Image commodorerob2031p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Good luck there, I know what your going through having been through a similar experience an it was my Hobby that got me through, so having a this as a focus is a great project :-)

Official Graduate of the Oriskany Operational Warfare Military Gaming Academy
    Bootcamp Veteran: Dropzone Commander, Bolt Action, Team Yankee, Walking Dead, Dropfleet Commander, Flames of War, Hobby Camp, Wolsung
  • Avatar Image nakchak4597p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Good luck mate, will be a cracking work space when your done with it, horrible reasons to be building it but some good will come out of it im sure :)

If your after some lighting i swear by these:
    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p40957
    £10 a pop, and the color temp is 6500k aka daylight :)

There is no ignominy, there is glory,
    There is no servitude, there is dominance,
    There is no defeat, there is victory… victory eternal!
  • Avatar Image onlyonepinman5414p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

I currently have (at my old house but no reason why I can’t retrieve them) a significant amount of Ikea shelf lights. So my plan is to use those and save some money. In addition to that I have two daylight, magnifying lights which sit at desk level. Hopefully I have enough lights to kit out my new space.

@commodorerob yeah, I think there’s a few of here in that club and you’re totally right, just having something to occupy my mind has been a big help. The worst thing over last few months has been a total lack of anything to entertain myself. There’s only so much Netflix and Videogames I can cope with and thw novelty wore sometime in February. Having nothing of any real worth to keep me focused isn’t in and of itself the worst part, but it’s like an amplifier for everything else. TV, to me at least, doesn’t actually entertain me for very long I need something more real. Vegging out in front of the TV or with a video game will keep me occupied for an hour at most before I get bored. So I guess woodworking is my hobby for the next month or so

• Avatar Image nakchak4597p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

@onlyonepinman i was thinking more about being able to illuminate the space in general, doesnt look like you have any skylights (unless you were working at night) i use a pair as my permanent painting lights with spot lights if i want some specific lighting, and have just fitted a trio to my loft which im sneaking a permanently setup airbrushing station into ;) and ive found it makes a big difference to the comfortableness of the space, for very little cost.

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman5414p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Well, there’s currently six lights in there like the one in the picture which light the room well enough for gaming but it’s a very warm light so utterly useless for painting. I have some better lights specifically for the painting area. Whether I change the other lights I’m not sure. I would prefer a more natural, white light in there but it’s a bit of a faff to rewire 6 lights. Perhaps that can be my next project after the desk. I suspect my brother will be opposed to the idea – his general attitude is that something only needs to be functional, which the lights currently are. My view is it should be as good as I can make it, which would mean getting new lights. Watch this space I guess

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman5414p said 1 day, 22 hours ago:

I found myself with a little free time on Sunday and yesterday evening and have managed to make a fairly significant amount of progress. I have largely completed stage 2. The desk area is complete and seems to be fairly robust (It will take my weight if I sit on it).

This means I can now focus on stage 3, which is to create shelves on the false wall, predominantly for storing paints but I want a larger shelf at the bottom for storing WIPs, brews, tablets or anything else that should really be kept out of the active paint area. I have all of the timber ready to do this.

0717.jpg
    0811.jpg
    099.jpg
    1030.jpg
    1198.jpg
    1235.jpg
  • Avatar Image onlyonepinman5414p said 1 day, 11 hours ago:

And tonight a little more progress. This is the first of several shelves but the most complicated to make, owing to the (totally unnecessary) legs at the front. The shelf was more than adequately fixed by simply screwing it to a bracket underneath. But I thought the legs were just a nice touch. As this shelf is not intended for anything specific, just to help keep items and clutter out of the painting area, it’s slightly larger than the other shelves above it will be. There will be something like 8 paint shelves (at least) spaced to store the taller Vallejo dropper bottles and deep enough to store two of the stubbier Citadel pots. Then on the brick wall to the left of the painting station I will mount a variety of shelves and organisers for tools, glue and spare components/bases.

I am hoping to get another update on Thursday if I can get some more Done. Tomorrow I will be seeing my daughter so likely be a little late to start work when I get home.

1328.jpg