Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Aces High – Blood Red Sky’s Plog by CommodoreRob

Beasts of War Homepage

Fantasy Flight Games World Championships 2018 Streaming Live May 1st to 6th - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 7 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Aces High – Blood Red Sky’s Plog by CommodoreRob (22 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image commodorerob2048p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Greetings so a break from my other projects, and a journey back in time to when I was but a nipper building model aeroplanes. Specificly the plane all young boys fall for the Spitfire :-) So I just had to get a copy of Warlords Blood Red Sky’s… So at Salute I picked up

Blood Red Skies Battle vof Britain starter
    The Japanese expansion
    The American expansion
    Plus a couple of Aces

So here is my journey, but as has become customary in my plogs a bit of Music to get us in the Mood.

So on with the pictures

First up the prep, these were not too bad had to heat the wings a bit and a little bit of mould lines but not to bad

I was going to go with can grey primer but did not have any in a can and so could not be bothered getting my air brush out…how lazy am I?

Then onto the colour scheme I chose the Early war scheme as it was the first scheme I ever painted a model with…as I said a trip down memory lane

So anyways next step is the markings… Gulp

Official Graduate of the Oriskany Operational Warfare Military Gaming Academy
    Bootcamp Veteran: Dropzone Commander, Bolt Action, Team Yankee, Walking Dead, Dropfleet Commander, Flames of War, Hobby Camp, Wolsung
    dsc_14661.jpg
    dsc_14671.jpg
    dsc_14681.jpg
    dsc_14691.jpg
  • Avatar Image mbbelius42p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Looking forward to this plog – I picked up Blood Red Skies myself at Salute so keen to see what you do with this ????

• Avatar Image benc251p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Picked up BRS at Salute, had one play through of the Dogfight scenario with @Gri3elda (the delightful Mrs) and it’s a great game.

I’ve got some RAF & Luftwaffe paint sets on the way so maybe I’ll take inspiration from Rob and plog it.

Ben_C
    Pointy stick instigator
    Lloydoslavian War Veteran

@benc excellent there really needs to be a bootcamp for this game … @warzan hint hint

• Avatar Image seldon91932p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Great progress! How much have you got to paint?

• Avatar Image seldon91932p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

I’m assuming you’ve ordered the aircraft carrier they had for the demo at Salute ;)

@seldon9 not yet…can’t justify that quite yet..lol

I have 26 aircraft to paint not many :-)

• Avatar Image commodorerob2048p said 1 week ago:

Ok a little update on how this project is going, I have now painted all six of the spitfires in the core box to the level in my pictures so there is not a lot more to see except 6 of the same with varying patterns. I have started to really think about how to do the Markings I was originally going to paint them on but using masks but my experiments on this have failed. I then decided to go with the traditional route and order some waterslide decals… would you believe it it seems that unless I want to pay £15 a sheet plus postage and packing then there are no 1/200 scale decals currently available for sale, they have all sold out… so what to do well I am still considering my options but currently it is looking like I may experiment with printing my own. the other option is to look for pre-cut masks.

• Avatar Image torros4378p said 1 week ago:

Have you tried Skytrex @commodorerob ?

• Avatar Image jamesevans140978p said 1 week ago:

If you own a bubble jet printer why not print off your own water slide decals? A number of companies produce sub a4 water slide paper that either has clear or white backing. Testers make a spray on sealant that gives your decals some body, the more coats you use the thicker your decals are.

• Avatar Image benc251p said 1 week ago:

@commodorerob,
    I found some 1:200 RAF & LW decals from a seller on eBay. Only about a fiver. They are printed by the seller but are of a good enough quality. At work atm so will find the details later for you.

@benc cheers all the sellers I checked on eBay have seem to be out of stock.

@torros yep they don’t have what I am looking for

@jamesevans140 Ian going to experiment with my inkjet printer and see how it works :-)

• Avatar Image commanderkaiser229p said 1 week ago:

Looking great Rob, all these post about the game in here are tempting me massively.

• Avatar Image benc251p said 1 week ago:

@commodorerob

The vendor I used was ‘Mehusla’. Due to stock I has to buy a set of RAF decals that cover 1/144 and 1/200. It has wing roundels, fuselage roundels (yellow outer ring) and vertical stabiliser markings. No fuselage ID lettering. The sheet in question is YK-63-5.

Cheers @benc I was looking at those will order some I think.

This is where I am up to

dsc_1470.jpg