Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Always keep improving

Beasts of War Homepage

Forge of Destiny Facebook - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 6 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Always keep improving (8 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image caladors5471p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Always keep improving.

Life isn’t static and neither are you. So long as you hold a brush, so long as you use it to add paint to models, you’re going to improve, so long as you keep going you’ll keep improving.

I wanted to make something to show this off and well I don’t think this the best video, but I will make another… and maybe another after that. I am still learning this new program, but I will always keep improving.

And so should you.

If you don’t think your a painter, your probably wrong, I could show you scientific papers to prove my point, I could show you a hundred comic strips, and I could probably find someone in your family who disagrees. But…

What I can do is invite you to WAYPN

WAYPN stands for What are you painting now?!

It’s a community of painters who come together to show off their projects, from massive to the miniature, to show off their progress, for advice, for a sense of pride.
    I am saying please join us, and here…

Show us your progress your model

From where you came to where you are

I went from this.

I think I have even improved more since then…
    But nothing as direct a comparison.

Please join us on WAYPN and please know it doesn’t matter how good you are, we only care about seeing you there because if your there our community is improving.

And we well…

Always improving :)

• Avatar Image noyjatat1018p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

You have definitely improved buddy

• Avatar Image nakchak4578p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

On my phone so will have to update with some current work, but this is my first I ever painted was probably 9 or 10 probably a mix of acrylic and enamel lol…

There is no ignominy, there is glory,
    There is no servitude, there is dominance,
    There is no defeat, there is victory… victory eternal!
  • Avatar Image soapdodger574p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

I was disappointed not to be able to include myself in this. I didn’t think I had anything from the past. Got me scrambling around to find things. I didn’t find a model but I did find a ruin I made around 10 years ago.

And my last completed project which was for shades of spring.

I can see skills I used in the first one used again in the second but a few more on show.

I kept building, painting and crafting. I want to know what whatever project I will be doing in 10 years will look like. Only one way to find out!

@nakchak I think I could have painted that back when I started. Seems to look very familiar.

@caladors your older model looks great but I would have liked to see a base on it with at least 3 elements.

Current project:Infinity Terrain
  • Avatar Image nakchak4578p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

@soapdodger 40k 2nd edition heavy weapon option 23 or 24 years later still painting blood angels ;)

• Avatar Image lawnor1273p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

I posted this over in WAYPN because i didn’t see this thread, but I’ll copy it over here as it seems to be where it belongs instead:

As Caladors discussed in the stream, I’ve hunted through my backlog of pics and found something from my early days that I’ve painted something similar to more recently so we can all see how its not natural talent, its time, effort and practice that makes us good.

Here we have Reinholdt, painted before June 2013 (I think I started painting and playing around August 2012)

And here we have 3 more goblins I painted back in April.

Theres a noticeable improvement. I’m always learning, always getting slowly better in small unnoticeable stages. I thought I hadn’t improved much until recenly. I dug out some of my first painted models from a faction I haven’t touched in years for some demo games and I was amazed how much worse they were than I remembered. They looked like I hadn’t even highlighted them. I wonder what my work will be like in another 5 years?

• Avatar Image gorillawithabrush947p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

I am loving this thread, and I hope it grows and grows and becomes a source of inspiration for everyone on these forums and for new painters who find this community!

I have posted the following several times, but I’ll do so again. These were the first miniatures I ever painted:

And here is a mini I painted recently that I am particularly proud of:

Being a good painter is not about native talent, it’s about being willing to put in the work to get better. It’s about not being complacent. It’s about having pride in your work but also willing to be honest with yourself about where you can improve. It’s about challenging yourself and trying to learn from others while not getting discouraged if your results are not what you want (yet). But most of all, it’s about knowing that getting better is a process and enjoying that process.

The following picture shows the Colette crew I painted from 1st ed. Malifaux. At the time I painted them I was pretty happy with them (not 100%, but I was generally pleased), and people in my local area fell all over themselves saying how awesome they were.

Again, I was happy, but I was also honest with myself. The skin tones are not great, the tattoos don’t look all that realistic, some of the colors are too pastel and desaturated, and I needed to learn more about subtlety in my shading.

I have been working hard on those things because I noticed that I could improve. I’ve been challenging myself to learn the techniques, to branch out to new paint colors and new paint brands, etc. I am in the middle of repainting this crew for 2nd ed. with the new models, and I think you can see improvement in all of the areas I mentioned.

Again, I am happy (not 100%, but pretty happy), but I can see things that I want to do better. And so I will continue to work at it.

Because we can all always keep improving! :D

Interested in following my painting progress? I post WIP pictures after each painting session and am happy to chat about the hobby any time. Facebook: @GorillaPainter; Twitter: @GorillaBrush; Website:; Twitch Streaming:
  • Avatar Image caladors5471p said 2 months ago:

This is a picture from an artist I have employed several times, she is great person and I want to put this up on the thread because I see an amazing amount of these out there, and I think you replace draw with paint and I think makes plenty of sense ha ha :)

Alright ladies and gents I hope to see these thread keep going for awhile with new people coming along bravely showing there older stuff and hopefully we will see this thread help bring people into the community, or at least have them posting picture ha ha