Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Anybody could do it… // Weekender!

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Legends of Sleepy Hollow Kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 20 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Anybody could do it… // Weekender! (69 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image fishman1506p said 4 months ago:

Anybody could do it, somebody should do it, Nobody did do it. And that is where I come in, the complete nobody. Welcome to the UJ Weekender, without UJ.

There has been a bit of discussion about the route the weekenders should pursue following the unfortunate departure of our politically incorrect host, and favourite uncle who touched upon all those places which should not be exposed to daylight. Sexism, racism, egotism and all other ism’s were on the table, because all involved were involved in a light hearted and entirely no-dicks comradeship of sh*t talking and bragging. It was a welcome relief from the straight jacket of reality and life, and it would be great to see it continue.

Given Mage has shouldered the burden until his poor little legs are bowed and his wimpy shoulders bent from the effort, I am going to take on the great and overwhelming responsibility of inviting all of you to come in and join in the shenanigans and misplays that make up the Alternative Weekender.

From Uncle J’s advice to new comers:-
    If you are new to this then please read the whole thing before starting. Join in – you have no idea what you are missing. If you decide not to join in, because you are a gaylord, then please don’t make any single posts. Should you decide to join in for the first time you will be tested to ensure you are up to standard. Few are…

Rules are to be obeyed unless they aren’t.(either made, or obeyed, your choice…)

First of all you must make a pledge. This can be anything gaming related. Play something, splash paint, stick stuff together or do it all. You don’t have to finish, it is just something to head towards. Here, happiness is the road.

You are also presented with some questions. This is to break the ice, get the conversation going and give us all a chance to get to know each other better. Doing this has been a great ‘experiment’ and has been one of the best parts of doing this. It’s awesome fun and you get to hear some interesting stuff.”

1/ What model was your first love? Why?
    2/ Did you lose your modeling virginity to said model, or did you cheat and go for a cheap alternative?
    3/ Was the marriage a match made in heaven? Do you still have that first model? Pics are proof.
    4/ If you could choose between space travel and time travel, which would you choose and why? There is no tardis so please, no Dr Who crap, one or the other…

As always, music is encouraged and rewarded. If you can theme music to the discussion it will be even more rewarded, with useless points which may lead to some dubious bragging rights amongst some questionable characters.

https://youtu.be/PRgWou4lOeQ

And one last one for @unclejimmy

As always NO DICKS.
    Scottish pub law is also in effect: no politics and no religion. It may be allowed to make a point, but don’t take the piss.

There is one rule which cannot be altered in any way. NO DICKS. Firms.

While you are here feel free to boast, brag, tell tales, show off something or anything you might think everyone might enjoy. No limits on political corectness, but no tolerance of personal attacks or outrageous statements. Remember, this is for fun and not to seriously thresh out the issues of the world.

And in closing, before pledging, please observe a moment of silence for those poor souls caught up in the Towering Inferno earlier this week…

• Avatar Image seldon91627p said 4 months ago:

Well done for picking up the baton @fishman! I’ll be back on later, though I say that all the time. I’m back on hobby this week though :)

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman4990p said 4 months ago:

Looks like someone beat me to it. I had it all planned as well

Next week @onlyonepinman

If you are quick enough ;)

Remember, we in the Antipodes are ahead of the rest the World. And our time zones are too…

5 points for @seldon9, for being first based on my very discerning points system, which has no structure or direction as yet, but will be entirely fair. Unless someone offers me bribes of course…

2 Points to @onlyonepinman for being prepared -2 points for being slow…just kidding/ 2 points…

• Avatar Image voidifremoved124p said 4 months ago:

I pledge to finish off Gaunt’s base, and finish painting Larkin and Dorden. I picked up the Gaunt’s Ghosts miniatures off the GW site a few months back and am finally getting around to painting them. Love the miniatures, but have definitely been spoiled by plastic and resin. It’s so much easier to paint than white metal.

1/ What model was your first love? Why?
    The 1990s Eldar Avatar model. I remember seeing it and going “sweet Jesus, I could never paint something like that well. As a nerdy 12 year old, it looked like the most awesome thing ever. I never bought it, though.

2/ Did you lose your modeling virginity to said model, or did you cheat and go for a cheap alternative?
    I ended up painting a few Eldar Guardians (terribly), some Space Marines figures (extremely badly) and some Orks and Gretchin (woefully). I forgot all about miniature painting for about 18 years.The first miniature I painted and felt proud of was a Warmachine warjack I bought on sale, after coming back to the hobby in about 2014.

3/ Was the marriage a match made in heaven? Do you still have that first model? Pics are proof.
    It’s currently living at my mum’s, but I still like it. Terrible photo quality, but I was particularly pleased with the base:

4/ If you could choose between space travel and time travel, which would you choose and why? There is no tardis so please, no Dr Who crap, one or the other…
    Well, at the moment aside from some pretty spectacular sight-seeing space travel would get boring quickly. I’d have to say time travel. I’d love to be able to visit different eras and see how people actually lived. Aw, who am I kidding? I’d use it to go to *the* epic gigs and concerts. I’d sell my soul to the Rock N’ Roll devil to be able to see my favourite bands back when they were in their prime.

Ok, now the important part. Musicks:

Otep covering Lorde, just because:

My painting music (is generally industrial):

warjack.jpg

So this weekend I will, as a priority, be working on finishing my Fay Enchantress. I say “my” it’s actually a commission, of sorts, for a friend (i.e. she has asked me to paint it, I am doing so for free just because I like the model and because painting is my hobby, not my job). I built a scenic base for it some time ago with an autumn theme and that has influenced the choice of colours for the rest of the piece.

This is the progress so far and as you can see I am definitely on the home straight.

On top of that my local(ish) gaming store is doing a midnight launch of 40k 8th edition so I am plan for to head down and collect my books early. Never been to a midnight launch before, never really felt anything was worth the hassle but as I am normally up and about at midnight on Fridays I thought why the hell not?

20170528_0004082.jpg
    20170615_193111.jpg
    20170615_214236.jpg
    20170614_111243.jpg
    20170529_231350.jpg
  • Avatar Image biggabum2404p said 4 months ago:

Big thanks to @fishman for running the weekender this week.

Could be a sorry weekend for hobbying this weekend, The local carnival is on saturday and apparently “youre coming with us even if we have to drag you there.” Well I’m a big lad, I forsee a number of Hernia’s. The Sunday is set to be a scorcher and there’s talk of a BBQ, guess who always ends up covered in soot and swealtering while the rest sit on their a****s and scoff the food they didnt see me drop on the floor.

None the less, I shall endeavor to get a game of something in. whatever depends on how long it takes them to get fed up with me moaning about “better things to do with my time”.

On to the questions.

1: The first model I really fell in love in with was the old Prince Imrick on a Dragon (the Jes Goodwin sculpt).

2: No I was already collecting stuff when it was released, at that time GW models wern’t so pricey.

3: Yeah, I really loved that model, so much that I was terrifierd to play with him because I had really taken some care in painting him. Unfortunately I no longer have him as I sold my High Elf Army a good few years ago and he went with them.

4: Time travel. Purely for selfish reasons, none of this going back and killing Hitler as a baby rubbish. I would just keep winning the lottery… apart from that I’m terrified of heights, three rungs up a ladder and my legs turn to jelly.

@voidifremoved love the warjack mate, your right the base is excellent.

@onlyonepinman the Fay Enchantress is gorgeous, youve really done her justice.

• Avatar Image voidifremoved124p said 4 months ago:

@onlyonepinman So it looks like you secured the model with only one pin, man? *rimshot* All levity aside, that is noice. I love the colour scheme and contrast.

@biggabum thanks, I’ve improved a whole lot in my technique, but I still love that base.
    Also, I have to ask… what would you consider to be a scorcher? (I had a conversation this week with some people at work regarding English weather).

@voidifremoved First questions and first hobby photos, the rest of you mob gotta be more keen to beat that type of enthusiasm. 10 pts

Warmachine certainly has some of the most eye-catching models available. I am a big fan with a couple of hundred models from the game. About 50 of them are jacks or beasts and they really make great display models as well being part of an awesome game. 5pt

Time travelling to see the most amazing bands in their best performances, sign me on for a ticket for that ride! Ramones! Beatles! Mozart! 2pts

@onlyonepinman, not sure if I am more impressed with the model or the base, both are stunning. When they go together, will be quite the eyecatching piece. 10 points when done, but 5 for the meantime…

Take care your coach does not turn into a pumpkin or you will be walking home from the launch ;) Have fun mate and I can’t wait to see the unboxing (BIG HINT FOR EXTRA POINTS :) )

@biggabum, no need to thank me mate. It is my purgatory for being absent these past months. Scorcher on Sunday, eh? What? Double figures reached? 10 degrees C? Woah, look out, here comes the sun! Do you a deal mate. I won’t pretend -4 is cold if you don’t pretend England gets warm. LoL! I just looked at the forecast and yep, what a scorcher for Sunday, all of 28deg. We call that a cool summer night. Or a warm spring day. Let me know when it cracks 40 and I will give you the benefit of calling it a scorcher! 2 points for the joke.

Enjoy the BBQ and the fair, and leave just enough grit on the dropped sausages they don’t trust you to cook the BBQ again…

I managed to pick up that Prince Imrik model a few months back for $5 still in box at a local auction. There were a few other models and a game included in the lot, but I was really only after that model. One day I might actually get around to making it. 5 pts

It’d sure kill the w/e sports watching knowing who was gonna win the game, and knowing you had the money on the team… 2 pt

@fishman I only ordered the book, not the whole game. There’s nothing in the starter box that really interests me. I do like the Nurgle stuff but I can’t justify buying all those new miniatures right now

Awwww, damn. I have never been into Space Marines at all, but used to have a nice Death Guard Army of about 3000 points in 5th ed. Truth be told, I guess I still have the army, but it is at a friends place and I have not played since 6th was released and nerfed my orcs pretty badly.

@voidifremoved Generally a “scorcher” in the Uk is any weather that you can remove your coat and not get drenched :-D

@fishman Grit? Thats not grit thats ground pepper :-D . Unfortunately There are only two people in the family that can cook, me and my son Chris. I would let Chris do it but he’s a Chef… and he makes everything too pretty to eat… and small. “Chris, whats this carrot with a sprig of Parsley on it?”. “Thats the main course dad!” You get the picture :-D

• Avatar Image limburger1681p said 4 months ago:

yay :-) it’s that time of the week again.
    If I’d been at home during the day I would have had my 40k stuff.
    Now I’ve got to wait for the mail man to try again tomorrow.
    Oh well … one more day isn’t bad and this way I won’t have broken the street date.
    That is if that is a thing in this hobby.

1) What model was your first love? Why?
    I can’t even remember my first model.
    It must have been some kind of WW2 era vehicle from Italeri or Revell.
    I think it was a Dodge Beep, but I’m not sure.
    My first attempt at getting into wargaming dates back to WFB & 40k when it was still called ‘Rogue Trader’.
    The boxed set of Harlequins is the one that really spoke to me.

2) Did you lose your modeling virginity to said model, or did you cheat and go for a cheap alternative?
    *eh* I’m not sure if it is my dirty mind or yours but I’m not answering that one. So :-p

3) Was the marriage a match made in heaven? Do you still have that first model? Pics are proof.
    I’ve got nothing left from when I build my first 1/35 scale model kits.
    I’ve only got the box for the harlequins, but I can’t seem to find the models..

4) If you could choose between space travel and time travel, which would you choose and why? There is no tardis so please, no Dr Who crap, one or the other…
    Except you need to travel in the 3rd dimension in order for time travel to be of any use.
    Without that feature you’d first have to travel to where the event was before you could travel to ‘when’ the event was.
    Which causes problems like this :

festina lente cauta fac omnia mente
  • Avatar Image irredeemable1347p said 4 months ago:

Hey gang,
    Apologies for being absent over the last few weeks. I’ve been busy and work has been particularly draining. There hasn’t been a whole lot of hobby done to report.

I did get a game in on Monday though. Myself and @mage played through a game of the Batman Miniatures game. We’re still learning the rules but it went pretty smoothly overall. I’d worked on reference sheets and these helped us bypass the manky layout of the rulebook.

Aside from that my only hobby time has been reading. I’m still working my way through the rulebook for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. I’m new to RPGs so it’s taking some time. Not aided by the fact that Fantasy Flight Games write horrible rulebooks too. I’m getting there though. I’ve been working on the background for my character too.

1. Not sure I could name a single model that first caught my attention. I know the first set I ever got was the core set for 2nd edition 40k. So probably something from the ‘eavy Metal pages in the rulebook. I do remember being impressed by the old Bad Moon Dreadnought.

2. My first models (beyond the core set) were random Space Marine minis. And they ended up as Dark Angels purely because that was the paint set my father bought me. A sign of things to come as when I properly got serious with the hobby during 3rd edition (after a brief dalliance with Dark Elder) I settled on Dark Angels again and play them to this day. I’m still threatening to repaint them all to a standard that doesn’t make my eyes water in shame.

3. I don’t have any of my early minis. I’ve moved house quite a few times and unfortunately my old 40k was lumped into the “toys” category and thus tended to be dumped. I never appreciated how much I’d want to revisit the old stuff and make use of it. Now I religiously hold on to EVERYTHING! (Even those shitty Dark Elder…)

4. Time travel. Without a doubt. I’d love to go back and fill in the blanks of some of time’s biggest mysteries.

Bad headache tonight so I’ll cut myself short here. I’ll respond to everybody when I get the chance. But I have to chuck out a thanks to @fishman for hosting and to @mage for his previous efforts.

Also, a small pledge. Tomorrow I have a wedding so I won’t get anything done and on Sunday I’m visiting my brother. But come Monday there’s just a chance I’ll get something painted! I might go for my Death Company. They’re pretty simple. I’ll do a squad of five, do a higher standard of a job on Lemartes and then do the second squad of five.