Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Blonde Hair Tutorial

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Nemesis Board Game kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 1 hour, 8 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Blonde Hair Tutorial (6 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image gorillawithabrush874p said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Forgive me if you’ve seen this before as I know I’ve posted it elsewhere. However, @caladors noted that BoW likes to have things be easily searchable, and since this tutorial was buried in other threads I wanted to give it its own topic to make it easier to find later.

Blonde hair can be tricky in the sense that you don’t actually want to use the colors you think you should. I think a lot of miniature painters are influenced by animated films/cartoons, which very often use yellow as a substitute for blonde hair. But most animators try to distill rich colors from the real world into stylistic choices to communicate complex tones with simpler palettes.

Thus, I think most people’s “error” when trying to paint blonde hair is to use true yellow paints. I just finished Granite, so I will use her as an example.

These are the colors I used for Granite’s hair. None of them are a true yellow. The darkest color is a green undertone brown. The next one is a mustard khaki color and the last two are off-white with a tiny bit of yellow undertone to them.

It goes like this:

1) basecoat with Arabic Shadow.
    2) Paint everything but the deepest recesses Iroko.
    3) Using pretty thin paint, mix 50%/50% Birch and Iroko and paint towards the “halo” area that forms a circle around the top of the head (but away from the roots). This is because light doesn’t shine off the roots, it shines off of an area that kind of forms a circle going from the temples to the back of the head.
    4) Repeat with just Birch, leaving some of the previous mix showing.
    5) Repeat with 50%-50% mix of Birch and White Sands.
    6) Repeat with just White Sands.

I know that Scale75 paints are not the most common paints out there. Hopefully you can match colors using the above picture for reference.

But GW paints, the equivalents are probably something like this:

1) Balor Brown
    2) mix of Zamari Desert and Tallarn Sand
    3) Ushabti Bone and Screaming Skull
    4) Screaming Skull

However, I haven’t used the “new” GW colors all that much. I used to use Snakebite Leather, Desert Yellow, Bubonic Brown, and Bleached Bone to do blonde hair.

I think you could probably get away with starting with Tallarn Sand, then going to Zamari Desert, and then Screaming Skull (while mixing intermediates). Maybe Ushabti Bone thrown in there depending – I don’t own it and can’t totally tell what it looks like from online charts. My biggest concern would be Zamari Desert has a bit more yellow in it than I would use, but play around with it! It’s only paint. :) . (If you do find that is the case, just mix it with Tallarn Sand and don’t use it straight.)

@caladors recommended the following wording for matching to any paint range:

1) a desert brown
    2) a sand brown
    3) a bone color
    4) a light cream color

Interested in following my painting progress? I post WIP pictures after each painting session and am happy to chat about the hobby any time. Facebook: @GorillaPainter; Twitter: @GorillaBrush; Website: http://www.gorillawithabrush.com
  • Avatar Image seldon91783p said 3 months, 1 week ago:

@gorillawithabrush Thanks for this! Some of these hair recipes can seem counterintuitive. Hopefully BoW 2.0 will give us the option to pin a few of these threads :)

• Avatar Image caladors5148p said 3 months, 1 week ago:

I am going to have to have a go at this and show the results :D

Thank you so much for doing this :)
    I know I said it before but I will say it again but a lot of people have trouble with this I think like you said it is because people think you should use a yellow rather than the colours you suggest.

Just remember to add the tags for @lanzcor (I hope I remembered that one right) ha ha :D Tutorial, Blonde Hair, Sexiest Gorrlia alive, Scale Colour Paints, GW paints,

• Avatar Image mage5671p said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Cool tutorial, my blondes look too comic book ey. I’ll give this a try :)

• Avatar Image gorillawithabrush874p said 3 months, 1 week ago:

@mage – Let me know how it goes!

@caladors – I added several of those tags, but can’t believe I left off Sexiest Gorilla Alive. It is now remedied. ;)

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman5325p said 3 months, 1 week ago:

For any citadel users I use Zandri Dust, Ushabti Bone and then screaming skull. To give it a rich finish I mix Seraphim Sepia with Lamian Medium roughly 50/50 and use that as a wash.