Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Building My First City Board

Beasts of War Homepage

Support The Universal Miniatures Battles Kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 25 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Building My First City Board (51 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image deaddave4007p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Well, I haven’t got much space indoors, but I have decided to go ahead and attempt a city build based on the hobby lab that @warzan and @Lloyd did ages ago. Well, here we go.
    As I only had a small round table, first step was to cut out a circle board.

After I had cut it out and sanded the edges, I sealed it with a coat of PVA glue.

Next step was to coat it with solvent based paint to give it a tough finish.

You can always spot the obsessive detractors who need the world to know just how much they don’t like a thing other people like.
    ‘As far as this can reach.’
    When asked ‘how far Sparta’s boundaries stretched?’, King Agesilaus’ replied brandishing his spear.

Next step was to glue down the resin roads, then onto cutting out and gluing down the floor tiles to represent concrete.

And after much time and effort, voila.

Next step was to make the joints on the roads a little less obvious, so I used greenstuff to fill the bigger gaps, and liquid greenstuff to stipple texture onto the joints.

I followed that up with a coat of dark grey paint on the roads.

Next step was apply @warzan ‘s fabled magimix to give texture to the floor tiles.

And after drying.

After the magimix had dried I started to apply a coat of grey acrylic paint to the concrete slabs. Cheers to @dignity for advice at this stage as after two years I’m still waiting for part three of the hobby lab on the cityboard.

And completion. Next will be drybrushing.

• Avatar Image synthetik259p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Hello Dave (Always wanted to say that).

It looks superb , what will you play on it ?

Which bit will you drybrush as I think the cross section looks very effective darker than the panels.

Watching with interest.

gamer….lover…skint
    Plays Infinity , 7TV , SuperSystem, Gruntz , Pathfinder
    my Mecca…http://dropshiphorizon.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Avatar Image onlyonepinman4372p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

@deaddave said:
    After the magimix had dried I started to apply a coat of grey acrylic paint to the concrete slabs. Cheers to @dignity for advice at this stage as after two years I’m still waiting for part three of the hobby lab on the cityboard.

ooooh. sly digs there ;)

Otherwise that’s looking pretty cool

@synthetik I’m probably going to use it for version of 40k using cityfight rules, also stuff like necromunda and even malifaux. I’m going to drybrush the roads and the slabs, but I’ll probably apply a wash to the road to make it dirtier so it stands out more. @onlyonepinman was that a dig? :P

• Avatar Image evilstu237p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Really nice looking table so far, and a great size for skirmish level games. Great work!

• Avatar Image zombieking563p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

looks ace. and I love the idea of playing on a circular board too!

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman4372p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

@deaddave said:it stands out more. @onlyonepinman was that a dig? :P

You’re only waiting for the same thing I am

• Avatar Image deaddave4007p said 2 months ago:

Managed to get some goodies at salute, these pre-painted barriers, some barrels.

Drybrushing stage.

Only a minor detail, but painted the drains on the road silver, applied an oil wash, and then some orange for rust.