Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Confrontation Wolfen Prowler [plog by Gorilla with a Brush]

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the War is Coming: Warmaidens & Dragonbreds Kickstarter Campagin - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 13 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Confrontation Wolfen Prowler [plog by Gorilla with a Brush] (18 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image gorillawithabrush395p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Hello!

I’m back with another project log. :) This time I have actually finished the entire model before starting to post this log because the model was a secret project. A friend of mine and I were taking part in a miniatures exchange where we each chose a model from our collection and painted it up without showing any work in progress shots to keep the surprise intact.

The only “rules” were that we had to push ourselves in some specific way by working on a skill we are trying to hone. My friend is relatively new to the hobby (been painting about a year or so I think), and has been progressing very quickly into quite a skilled painter. I was really excited to see what he would come up with and what skill he was working on.

We finally just exchanged our models, so now I am free to post pictures of my selection.

I chose to paint up the Wolfen Prowler from Rackham (a company that closed its doors around 2010 if I recall correctly). I’ve had this miniature since he was first released – probably around 15 years – and I was excited to finally put paint to model! It’s easily my favorite miniature from the old Confrontation line. I mean, come on! It’s a ninja wolf!

Interested in following my painting progress? I post WIP pictures after each painting session and am happy to chat about the hobby any time. Facebook: @GorillaPainter; Twitter: @GorillaBrush; Website: http://www.gorillawithabrush.com

As I’ve mentioned in other project logs, I purchased the entire set of Scale75’s original and fantasy paint lines around Christmas, and I’ve really been trying to put them through their paces this year. For this model in particular I wanted to test out some of their blue paints, so I chose to have blue be the prominent color. I started out by layering the clothing to define the shadows and highlights.

With the basic layers defined, I created a repeating pattern for the fabric, starting out by testing it in a relatively flat section of the clothing to make it easier. It’s also a spot that would be easier to repaint if I messed up.

It’s worth mentioning that I recognize 1) that the pattern seems to “jump off” of the fabric and does not look very realistic right now and 2) that the colors of the pattern are solid and don’t follow the shadows and highlights of the darker blue sections. I’ll fix that in a bit.

With the pattern complete, I did several passes with a dark blue glaze over the entire clothing, and then glazed some even darker blues and black into the shadows. This helps the pattern melt into the fabric and look more realistic. I finished by touching up the designs with some highlights where the natural fabric highlights would be to create visual interest.

To complement the blue, I decided to use a nice saturated red. I repeated the same pattern into the scabbard but using red this time. At this stage it looks a little cartoony with the color composition. However, I will eventually add a lot of darker colors to the model to frame the red and cover up some of the places where the paint has spilled over. In the final paintjob the red will be more of an accent and will not dominate the look.

Next up are the eyes. I wanted to go with pale blue eyes to complement the blue clothing, and so I made a few passes with lighter and lighter blues, then dotted the irises with black and then a touch of white for a reflection spot.

• Avatar Image avernos1089p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

superb work I shall enjoy this as it’s very similar to the scheme I have planned for my own, one slight criticism though I can’t stop focusing on the hovering sword.

Daemons and Shit!

Sophia LIVES!!!

@avernos – It’s his magical weapon named “Hypnosis” … +6 on tests to stun opponents.

Did you fail your saving throw? ;)

For what it’s worth, I did it on purpose to convey an extreme sense of balance and control of his body (fitting for a ninja), but I acknowledge that for some people it might look funny.

• Avatar Image mage4778p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Like old great so far!

• Avatar Image waxer40p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Did you protected fabric somehow when it was finished?

• Avatar Image gorillawithabrush395p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

@waxer said:
    Did you protected fabric somehow when it was finished?

I’m not totally sure what you are asking…

The banner is made from plasticard and green stuff (not fabric if that’s what you meant) and then hand-painted.

If you are meaning the blue fabric painted on the model, then yes it’s protected. Everything on the model (including the plinth, model, and banner) were sprayed with Minwax Polycrylic gloss varnish and then once that was dry they got two coats of Testors Dullcote matte varnish. This was done after the entire paint job was complete (I didn’t do any varnishing mid-painting).

Let me know if that didn’t answer your question. :)

• Avatar Image waxer40p said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Yes, but I would be terrified of spilling paints on finished blue fabric while finishing rest of minie :) .

@waxer said:
    Yes, but I would be terrified of spilling paints on finished blue fabric while finishing rest of minie :) .

It’s only paint… you can always fix mistakes. :)

While painting it’s very useful to have reference photos. Mother Nature is often the greatest source of interesting patterns and colors, so I searched for pictures of wolves to inform my color choices and patterns for the fur. This is the photo I used as my primary inspiration.

I began by layering browns from darker to lighter and then sketching out the places where the fur would be lightest (almost white).

He looks pretty good at this point – I love how the pattern turned out. However, there is no texture in the paintjob – it is far too smooth for an animal that I want to look furry. Therefore, I went back and put some darker fur texture over the lighter areas and some lighter fur texture over the dark areas. Then I started layering off-white and white back over the lighter areas so that the texture was very subtle in those places.

Cleaning up a few areas and painting the black nose completes the look! I also basecoated the rest of the model with a flat black paint and we can really see him start to take shape. You can also see what I was talking about with the red starting to become less dominant.

Here is the model I got from my friend:

Check out that tattoo work! He really wanted to push his freehand skills, work on an alternative orc color scheme, and try to work on getting nice textures into his leather, skin, weapons, etc. while keeping a nice clean paint job. I’d say he was quite successful!

The other thing I love about this is that I just painted the same model a couple of months ago and had to ship it off to someone. It was nice to get the same sculpt again and get it back into my display case.

[For those of you who are interested, the artist was Blues Light Painting. You can find him on Facebook and Twitter pretty easily.]

Next up is the steel color – all of the metal areas except a few details that will be more of a gold color and the exposed sword blade. I started by layering from dark to light to define the highlights. I then went back in and glazed the shadow areas darker gray/black. I finished by glazing some dark red into the shadows. I did this for two reasons. First, it just makes the metal color more interesting. Second, it creates some color harmony with the rest of the model since there is some blue in the gray colors I used and now red in the shadows. The red in the shadows is a little hard to see in these pictures (and it’s supposed to be subtle), but you can see it a bit more clearly in the model in person.

The next steps were to paint the cloth on his forearms and the armor/wrappings around his ankles. I went with a dark gray, and I glazed some of the dark red into the shadows around his ankles.

I then painted the brown leather parts, the longer hair coming off his head and the backs of his legs (plus a teeny bit of tail poking out near the quiver), and his claws.

Next up was the NMM sword. I used grays with a lot of blue in them to help tie it in to the overall color scheme of the model. I started by blocking out the general areas where the colors would be. I then used many, many coats of glaze using those colors along with mixing some glazes of intermediary colors to smooth the transitions and get the final look. [When I did this, I always painted lighter glazes in the direction of the lighter areas and darker glazes towards the darker colors. This makes sure that the pigments that tend to gather at the end of your brushstrokes are settling in the area where that color is already dominant.] I completed the sword by glazing just a hint of the dark red color over the darkest part of the blade to help tie everything together.

The last things that I completed were some leather sacks on his back that I wanted to be a slightly different brown color, the wood on the crossbow, plus the golden/tan NMM parts. You can see those in the final image. I didn’t take WIP shots with those bits.

After completing the model, I decided he needed a banner. Drawing from his Japanese-ish aesthetic, I found a reference painting of a koi that I thought would be perfect. I created a grid over the picture and a similar (scaled down) grid on my banner using a masking tape ruler I created and some thin gray paint. You can use a pencil to draw the grid if you want, but the flecks of graphite the pencil leaves behind really annoy me.

Once the grid was in place, I started sketching out the basic forms using the grid to guide me, and then used a few passes with thinned down paint to get solid colors.

It was already looking pretty good at this point, but these kinds of designs don’t really come to life until you start blacklining them and painting in the details. [By the way, yes, this was all painted with a brush. I did not use paint pens or markers.]

Using very thin glazes, I started adding in some depth to the colors (both lighter and darker glazes were used to create the depth) and used a very soft pink to add in some extreme highlight points.

After some final cleanup around the edges and reestablishing the blacklining, I added some extra details to the yellow fin areas, painted some highlights on the dark blue water, layered and highlighted the splashes, and painted the purple flowers. Honestly, I think the white splashes are the most important part of the banner. They really pop against the dark background and frame the koi nicely.