Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Curis’ WIP Wipe

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the War is Coming: Warmaidens & Dragonbreds Kickstarter Campagin - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 20 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Curis’ WIP Wipe (16 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image curis21p said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

I’ve got three major themes to what I’m painting at the moment – Rogue Trader space pirate types, oldskool Warhammer Fantasy Chaos and Dark Age Historicals. I’ve got this thread as a place to keep track of what’s on the go and how long it’s been WIP.

These are the Rogue Trader space pirates currently WIP on the painting desk. These are a mix of Citadel, Cobalt-1, Crooked Dice and Colony 87 miniatures. I treat them all as individuals, though hope they’ll hang together in a loose group for games and standing next to each other in the cabinet. It’s very liberating painting things that aren’t going to be a big army of identical figures in identical schemes – as you can constantly experiment without having to go back and repaint anything finished previously. Watching a lot of the Expanse lately, and reading Rogue Stars, and it’s really feeding my imagination.

Most recently I finished this old old Ironclaw chap. I love painting these old Bob Olley sculpts – you get lost in the flowing detail of the cloth and facial features. Though I appreciate they’re an acquired taste.

Back in November 2014 I started a collection of Late imperial Romans. They’re very subtle, realistic Perry sculpts from Wargames Foundry. Struggling to work out shield designs at the moment that ground them in Roman Britain in the Late Imperial period and is interesting to paint.

I have just this week though finished one of the character figures! He is Late Imperial, though his armour style makes him look Early Imperial / Greek.

I’ve also been painting up an eclectic mix of Warhammer Fantasy Chaos figures at the moment. Here’s a Marauder Chaos Thug, Mantic Hobgoblin, Citadel Chaos Warrior and Wargames Foundry Time-Warped Wizard. They’re gonna be for Age of Sigmar, Frostgrave, Dragon Rampant and allsorts.

Most recently I finished this Ramshackle Games cleric holding an old hammer miniature. I did a headswap with an old Citadel Judge Dredd.

Glad to be here! There’s quality hobby logs everywhere

• Avatar Image fiore120p said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

Welcome Curis, great to see you here. I’ve enjoyed looking at your website over the years, love the old school miniatures and beautiful paint jobs.

• Avatar Image gremlin125p said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

Great mini’s. Where did you get the “Rog Blake” from Blake’s 7 in the first picture?

• Avatar Image angelicdespot926p said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

Wow – these look great! This is going to be a fantastic thread to follow!

• Avatar Image curis21p said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

Thanks for the comments! It’s nice to see that this is a such an active forum.

gremlin – it’s a Future Freedom Fighter from Crooked Dice.

I’ve just painted up some Doctor Who minis, here’s the first one.

I’ve got a soft spot for Peter Davison’s Fifth Doctor. Probably because his run on Doctor Who started with a couple of very strong science fiction stories – Logopolis and Castrovalva. And I think Earthshock is the definitive Cyberman story. So I started my new collection of 28mm Doctor Who miniatures with him. It’s the first time I’ve painted a representation of celery in at that scale.

“Books! The best weapons in the world!”

The miniature was originally produced in or after 1996 by Harlequin Miniatures, and that company regenerated into Icon Miniatures and then regenerated again into Black Tree Design. I remember buying some in the mid-1990s when the Invasion Earth game was being haphazardly stocked by the geek shop in the centre of Manchester – the Coliseum. I’d like to collect the 1980s Games Workshop range of Doctor Who figures too, but the Harlequin ones are much more readily available and have a much bigger range of monsters and aliens to pit the Doctor against.

I really enjoyed painting his stripey trousers and cricket whites. There’s another version of the figure actually holding the bat which I’ll treat myself to at a future point when (if) I’ve found some other cricketeer figures. It would be the first time since being eleven-year-old nerd I would feel comfortable playing wargames on my Subbuteo Cricket pitch.

Doctor Who through Time and Space

The wonderful thing about Doctor Who is that this one figure can be used alongside most of my other wargames figures. He marries historical and science fiction, and even at a pinch fantasy. I can stick him with my ex-Citadel Normans to recreate scenes like The Time Meddler or The Real Herewad – though neither involved the Fifth Doctor. (Perfect excuse to buy the First and Sixth Doctors as miniatures though.)

“Careful now, you’ll have someone’s eye out with that.”
    The Doctor supervising some peasant archers in 1066.

Games Workshop’s early Imperial Army figures are suitably generic to stand in for future soldiers. I can use these Warhammer 40K figures as the Guild of Adjudicators from the 28th century as seen in Cold Fusion.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only Warhammers.
    The Doctor supervising the peacekeeping force in 2766.

So, what next? The Doctor Who universe has all sorts of weird and exotic aliens. I’m going to focus on the Fifth Doctor’s adversaries and companions next so I can play out my favourite episodes in the medium of wargames.

Time to kick off my collection of Doctor Who villains! Presenting Omega, the Time Lord who decided to name himself after his exam grades. It’s the Gallifreyan equivalent of “F Minus”, which now I say out loud does sound like a good rapper name

MC F Minus in da house, rappity rappity rap.

This miniature is the 1983 Arc of Infinity incarnation of Omega. I’ve eschewed the bone and black scheme he was seen in the show, and went for a glowing red scheme – referencing the crimson bubble of time he became trapped in immediately between The Three Doctors and Arc of Infinity.

The classic pitfall of single-colour miniatures is it’s hard to understand the overall form. To counter this I’ve lightened the red as it rises on the miniature, to draw attention to the chest and helmet.

Arc of Infinity Omega.

The helmet design of the miniature isn’t too close to the show, missing the bauble on top and having different placement of the pipes. The sculpt does capture the puffiness of the jacket nicely. I’d like to paint another version of the miniature to match the incarnation on the show, the freehand on the cloak would be a fun challenge.

Omega and the Fifth Doctor.

Because he wears an evil cape and ostentatious helmet I thought it only fitting to give him a more dramatic base with a big slab of rock. He now towers over his foes and becomes the master of ceremonies in any scene.

Omega’s minions lead the Doctor at gunpoint across a quarry.

I’d also like to paint a third version with a headswap from the Fifth Doctor miniature to represent the Arc of Infinity scene where his helmet peels off and reveals he’s become Peter Davison thanks to the bio-data extract he stole on Gallifrey. But there’s plenty of other Doctor Who villains to get to.

• Avatar Image curis21p said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Started these miniatures off! A Doctor Who “New Paradigm” Dalek I got free with some kids’ magazine, a 1985 Dungeons and Dragons Grenadier Umber Hulk and a Games Workshop pre-slotta Dian the Thief.

• Avatar Image while158p said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Some wonderful retro minis in here! Very cool!

• Avatar Image avicenna121p said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Great work :) I do have a soft spot for those old sculpts! They look like they were a lot of fun to paint

-Peter
    Jolly Bodgers
    Cooler than the other side of the pillow…
  • Avatar Image lancorz950p said 1 week, 5 days ago:

I really love your photograph work on these minis, not to mention any of the paint work or basing. It’s all great!

Twitter @Lancorz | Twitch Live Tue/Thur 8pm GMT
    Community Manager / Editor Extraordinaire
  • Avatar Image captainitalia112p said 1 week, 5 days ago:

This are absolutely brilliant! I love these doctor who minis!

• Avatar Image curis21p said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Thanks. I really seem to hang up on the old miniatures.

One day at Games Workshop HQ, Aly Morrison came up to me with a big bag of Talisman figures. “I found this bag of scrabby old models in my basement, and I was gonna bin ’em. Then I remembered you like scrabby old stuff.” I was over the moon. Here’s the first three painted.

The Chaos Brothers defending portal dolmens in the Mourning Wood.

All three figures are from 3rd edition Talisman, which I originally owned as my Dad bought it for me and my brother in the mid-1990s . Until that point I’d been exclusively into Warhammer 40,000, and this was my first real experience of the Warhammer Fantasy world. My painting has improved since then.

THIN YOUR PAINTS.

I’ve been quite annoyed at my initial choice of colour for my Chaos Warriors. Red and metal is very vanilla. To start stamping greater identity on them I’ve taken the flames from Clyro Burns’ robes and run them onto the armour panels. It does help break up the plain surfaces and make them less generi-chaos.

With the rising market value of the old metal Chaos Thug ranges, these muscly barbarians are welcome reinforcements to my Chaos Thug unit. I have played with them as Blood Warriors in Age of Sigmar, and Bellicose Foot in Dragon Rampant. The variety of designs and themes in the range means they can slip in, though they are noticeably beefier and taller. But hey, it’s Chaos.

3rd edition Talisman Barbarian and Warrior. Interestingly, one of these is a resculpt of the other.

I’m looking through the rest of the Talisman range now to see what other figures will fit in my Chaos warband. The Minotaur, Skaven, Black Orc and Chaos Sorcerer are all potentials.

• Avatar Image curis21p said 6 days, 9 hours ago:

Got these boys on the painting desk at the moment!

• Avatar Image curis21p said 5 days, 6 hours ago:

My teenage Orc and Goblin army featured a Night Goblin shaman on Cockatrice. I’ve sold the bulk of the army, but hung onto the Cockatrice out of sentimentality. Bulking out my Frostgrave Chaos into a Dragon Rampant force demanded a fantastic monster, so this mythological bird resurrected itself from the ashes.

The wings on my Orc and Goblin Cockatrice weren’t the original MM44 ones, but had been nicked from an High Elf Dragon. I replaced these original replacements with a pair of 15mm Demonworld dragon wings. Since I was converting the figure with non-Citadel parts, I figured I’d swap the rather dull tail with a scorpion one from the Dark World Manticore.

The Cockatrice torso showing his original yellow paintjob. He was known as “Lemon Chicken”.

I did plan on him having a Chaos rider, and tried every single mounted Chaos figure in my collection. However, anything bigger than a weeny Night Goblin shaman looked ridiculous, and the wings and neck all obscure the rider. So Stingwing is an unbound monster, which also means he’s easier to legitimately field in Age of Sigmar.

Chicken stripped.

Attaching the Demonworld wings, and at a different angle to the original MM44 wings, required hacking away the sockets on the torso and some heavy pinning. I used three layers of putty to first fill the gaps, then sculpt muscles, and then add fur.

In my efforts to bend the old lead wings into curved shapes I managed to break the left one straight in half. The metal along the split crumbled, and I had a pig of a time trying to reattach it. I managed it with pins in the only two places that joined, and a good amount of putty. Luckily the membranes had very little sculpted detail so my repairs are barely visible.

Anyways, here’s the finished beastie! I went with a mainly flesh, and ran the warband’s signature red colour onto the comb, wattles and scorpion tail.

Cockatrice breaks through a clearing in Mourningwood.

Sadly I have no good photos of the six-way Dragon Rampant game from the Knavecon weekend – I’d borrowed sho3box‘s selfie-stick and only managed photographs of my own arm.

Put in black and white, however, this looks intentionally arty. And you can’t see my Superman socks clashing with the hotel carpet.