Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Dark Eldar test scheme

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Tripods & Triplanes kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 8 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Dark Eldar test scheme (7 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image avernos1466p said 3 months ago:

Or Drow in Space,

Want a quick paint scheme, so a red leather, bone armour and Drow grey/black skin.
    Just not sure of weapon colours, bronze or steel for the metallics.
    Any thought folks?

“Daemons and Shit!” -BoW Lloyd 2017

Sophia Lives!!!

warrior2.jpg
    wychft.jpg
    wychsd.jpg
  • Avatar Image roguellama67p said 3 months ago:

Great colour scheme- these are going to look amazing!

I’ve started a Drukhari army for 40k too, and I’m really enjoying it. I had a bit of a downer on them until recently, but I’m actually really enjoying building and painting them. Makes a nice change from some of the more ‘conventional’ forces- some great lines to work with in their armour and vehicles.

• Avatar Image gorillawithabrush796p said 3 months ago:

I think you’ve got a great start, and I know you’re trying to keep it simple, but I really think you need a second color on the bone armor areas. Just looking at the pictures those areas look unpainted rather than intentionally bone-colored to me.

What about adding some accents in a few places? It shouldn’t drastically increase your painting time but would make a big difference in how visually interesting the paintjob is. Something like this… (I just randomly chose a color that would stand out for demonstration purposes – you can pick anything you want).

Interested in following my painting progress? I post WIP pictures after each painting session and am happy to chat about the hobby any time. Facebook: @GorillaPainter; Twitter: @GorillaBrush; Website: http://www.gorillawithabrush.com
    sample.jpg
  • Avatar Image yggdrasil141p said 3 months ago:

For the metallics on the weapons I would suggest copper or bronze. Also, I would second the suggestions for another colour on the bone armour. I think a bright green or blue. It could be panels on the armour or some sort of tribal markings. Also it might be worth taking the green and blue shades into the models hair. Just some thoughts, they’re looking good so far.

• Avatar Image roguellama67p said 3 months ago:

A blue could be good- maybe you could even use a little purple/violet wash on the reds and blues, maybe even the hair, to tie them together?

• Avatar Image angelicdespot981p said 3 months ago:

I too think you could do with something extra for the bone armour, but I would caution adding too many colours as you’ve already got quite a combination of strong and contrasting colours already. Adding more could end up looking a bit of a mess. Adding a strong highlight to the bone armour might be all it would take. Or even easier, a dark, heavy wash of something like Army Painter strong tone.

I think if I was you I would go for silver weapons, because I think you need more ‘normal’ colours to act as reference points for your unusual skin and armour. If you have odd coloured weapons too, then the eye will be confused by a riot of colours on the parts of a model you wouldn’t expect to see them. The ‘odd’ colours you use will be more effective and more noticeable if you’ve got other parts of the model conforming to peoples’ expectations.

My final – and perhaps controversial – point… is that I don’t think your skin works particularly well. Now, I was never a fan of DnD or the Drow, so I don’t have the emotional attachment – they don’t resonate with me in the way that they do with a lot of gamers. But as with jet black Salamander space marines, to me, the skin just looks like it’s been undercoated and forgotten. If you don’t want to paint them in more normal human skin tones (whether that be the pale caucasian colour we normally associate with eldar or more realistic black or Asian skin tones), then again, i think you need to do some more work on the skin so that it’s obvious that the colour is deliberate. In other words, you need to shade and highlight the black to make it look like you’ve worked on it.

I hope that doesn’t come across as too discouraging. They’re your models and you’re entirely within your rights to ignore me… The right thing for you to do is to do what works for you, pursuing the vision you’ve set yourself. But hopefully it’s a useful perspective. sometimes it’s helpful to hear an opposing view if only to confirm that you dont’ agree!

• Avatar Image avernos1466p said 3 months ago:

a lot of people seem to be confused that these are painted, this is literally flat base tones and then I threw a brown wash to throw up a bit of detail on the armour and leather. I will be using blue and green accents on the weapons and tubes.
    But as soon as I’m happy with the choice of pallet these will get stripped and then I’ll assemble and paint the whole army properly, so shading and highlighting hasn’t been applied yet.
    Thanks for everyones input so far, I think I’ll try a bronze or copper on the metals although a combination of steel and bronze could work. will fire up some pics once the metals and blocked in