Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Edge Highlighting with Glazing

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Nemesis Board Game kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 1 hour, 10 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Edge Highlighting with Glazing (4 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image gorillawithabrush874p said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Running purely on coffee this early Sunday morning, but I wanted to get up the little tip that I promised in the WAYPN broadcast this week.

I’ll use a model I painted a while ago.

When doing edge highlight, or lots of layering, you can run into problems with your top layers and highlights turning to a different color. This is especially problematic with black and red because you really don’t want red going to pink or yellow-orange and you don’t want black to go too far into gray if you are going for black.

So one technique is to do your edges in white (or something close to it). It’ll look funny at first…

…but then mix up a pretty thin version of your last layer color and paint it over in a few thin coats until you’re happy with it. You get some “pop” on the edges without actually changing the color of the area.

(See my other project logs for using glazing on layers of paint to do something similar.)

Happy painting!

Interested in following my painting progress? I post WIP pictures after each painting session and am happy to chat about the hobby any time. Facebook: @GorillaPainter; Twitter: @GorillaBrush; Website: http://www.gorillawithabrush.com
  • Avatar Image milmaa230p said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Lovely tip! Model looks great too thank you!

• Avatar Image lorddgort27p said 3 months, 1 week ago:

I will definitely give this technique a try. Thanks for posting it!

• Avatar Image lancorz1139p said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Great stuff, short, simple and to the point. :)

Twitter @Lancorz | Twitch Hiatus
    Community Manager / BoW Lead Editor