Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | ESBA- Developer Tabletop Game/Blog

Beasts of War Homepage

Join The Team Yankee Firestorm Red Thunder Online Campaign Today! - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 1 hour, 55 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

ESBA- Developer Tabletop Game/Blog (10 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image bellatoros10p said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hello there lovely Beasts of War! Bellatoros here to share with you something exciting I’ve been working on for a bit: a free tabletop skirmish game. Yes, you read that right. I’m an aspiring game designer and, until now, none of my projects have ever seen the light of day. This particular game (ESBA) is more for fun, but I thought I’d abandon my status as a lurker and get stuck in with this most excellent community.

E.S.B.A. (or Exo-Skeletal Battle Armor) are essentially mechs, so if that isn’t enough to get you interested I’m not sure what will. The game is set in a country-sized city, a massive conglomeration of culture and society that quite frequently come into conflict with one another. Money and power rule- laws are nearly absent, and the entire place is held together by strong personalities and those loyal to them. You take on the role of these individuals.

ESBA is a tabletop skirmish game that combines resource management and some unique twists to give it, I think, a pretty good feel. Again, this is just a fun passion project so some things will probably be unbalanced, unfinished, unclear, etc. You all are the first playtesters, and since this is just for fun I’d love any feedback you all can give. I plan to update regularly with more factions (hopefully 20+ in total!) and possibly a short story or scenario here or there.

I’ve linked the rules and two factions (Monumenti Memorial Hospital and the Arbiters) here:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3M7g67oAXodb2tsa0w2amV4ODA?usp=sharing

As I’m new at this, if this violates any conditions please let me know. Happy gaming, and I’ll see you all in the streets of the City…

Who knew making a wargame was so hard?
  • Avatar Image rasmus4189p said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks interesting, I will give it a read through

Official graduate of the Oriskany Operational Warfare Military Gaming Academy
    Warrens personal Viking Henchman
  • Avatar Image bellatoros10p said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Making Units Viable
    I tried to think of some way to make units of faceless minions a reliable and powerful asset for players. They can’t take Upgrades (normally), have very few special rules, and cost around 7-9 points. Mathematically you could only have, say, 3-6 in a game while still having cool heroes (and a sound strategy to boot).

So I got to thinking, what if units could be Tithed Power that wouldn’t disappear? Heroes and Solos use Power for their abilities, and if you choose to soup up an E.S.B.A. that Power is effectively locked down for the remainder of the game. What minion units allow you to do is allocate them Power to unlock a host of extra abilities for a turn. After the player round ends, you gain that Power back.

Having units act like chargeable (and Power-efficient) batteries seemed like a good way to go. Most units also give any accompanying Hero the Bodyguard special rule. By paying a hefty chunk of points you get a couple of guys that can hold objectives, guard heroes, and turn into death machines when you need them to!

Thoughts and comments always welcome!

• Avatar Image bellatoros10p said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Hello all! I’ve recently completed work on a third faction: the Junkers. This ragtag group of individuals doesn’t have the economic means to purchase their own arms and armor, but they have the resources. Cobbling their mechs and weapons together from scrap and salvaged parts, they clank into battle and hope whatever falls off wasn’t vital to operational functions. They introduce a new rule, Unstable Power, which runs the risk of damaging your own units. However, with so much Power fueling your E.S.B.A. and Boosting your attacks, the Junkers focus around a ‘high risk high reward; playstyle. Hopefully you all enjoy!

• Avatar Image mage4530p said 6 months, 1 week ago:

I believe the name Junkers has been used in other miniature gamers for other factions too. Off the top of my head Void.

• Avatar Image bellatoros10p said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Hello once again! Things have been progressing as per usual. Hopefully the game and world have begun to entice you a bit- if not, I suppose I’ll need to try harder!

A new faction of assassins has just been posted under the name of ‘Blackhearts’. An elite mixture of ranged and melee killers, the Blackhearts are all about doing one thing and one thing very well. Due to their high cost and fairly delicate nature you’ll need to plot your strategies carefully so you don’t get taken out by your enemy, who will most likely outnumber you quite a bit. But these expensive tastes don’t come without benefits! The Blackhearts have access to some of the nastiest and deadliest weapons around, and can easily take out any enemy they’re faced with. Enjoy, and happy gaming!

• Avatar Image bellatoros10p said 6 months ago:

@mage: You’re quite right! Any ideas for alternate names? Scrapyard Society, League of Extraordinarily Rusty Gentlemen…

In other news, the Church of Rotwater has been added! For those of you who adore horde armies with strong characters (or playing in sewers, whatever floats your boat), this is the faction for you. The Church focuses on using Pollution Markers and Poison to achieve their goals. While their Minions are physically weak there are several ways to get them Additional Actions, and the Church’s characters are adept at making sure they get stronger the more Pollution they spread. Flies, fish, sewage, and more should make for some interesting games. As always, hope you enjoy!

• Avatar Image nakchak4050p said 6 months ago:

@bellatoros
    Legion of R.U.S.T (RUST Uses Salvaged Technology) if you like recursive acronyms
    The SalvNation army (a portmanteau of salvage and nation, wonder if they have a brass band)
    The Rag ‘n Bones
    The C.R.U.S.T (Cataclysmic Recycling Unused Scrap Technocracy)

There is no ignominy, there is glory,
    There is no servitude, there is dominance,
    There is no defeat, there is victory… victory eternal!
  • Avatar Image bellatoros10p said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

@nakchak I actually love those!

• Avatar Image bellatoros10p said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Working on the next factions (hint: radioactivity and/or giant warbikes). Has anyone played?! Any suggestions or requests for future factions?