Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | FLGS in UK vs US

Beasts of War Homepage

HEROES OF FALLEN FRONTIERS on Kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 7 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

FLGS in UK vs US (11 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image basilard9945p said 6 days, 6 hours ago:

This may not be the best place for this question, but I’ll ask it anyway. Please let me know if it should be moved :)

Simple curiosity: Do gaming stores in the UK tend to deal directly with manufacturers or with distributors? In the US the stores I’m familiar with deal almost exclusively with distributors and dealing directly with manufacturers/publishers can be very difficult.

• Avatar Image redben8005p said 6 days, 6 hours ago:

To the best of my knowledge they deal with distributors.

• Avatar Image pedmore49p said 6 days, 5 hours ago:

Don’t know about most, but my local mainly deals with Distributors, although there are a few manufacturers that they deal with directly (Games Workshop for example)

• Avatar Image torros4102p said 6 days, 4 hours ago:

We don’t have a gaming store at all just a second hand model shop that sells paints and brushes and a bit of Warlord stuff. I do k ow the distributiors won’t send anything unless the order is £1000 or more as it has to co.e from UK mainland to Belfast by courier

• Avatar Image johnsocp128p said 6 days, 2 hours ago:

So in general the stores in my area I am familiar with deal with distributers. Some will deal with GW directly, I know the one by my house dropped the direct with GW and even went to distribution with that one too.

One store in my area will deal directly with manufacturers. They carry things you cannot get anywhere else in my area.

For instance, currently AFAIK anything from TTCombat has to be sourced directly in the US as none of the major US distributers carry their products.

–Chris

• Avatar Image basilard9945p said 6 days, 2 hours ago:

My FLGS in the US has the same problem with TTCombat, but doesn’t want to deal directly with them. Mainly doesn’t think they’ll generate enough sales to justify it since most people in our area seem to only want to play GW stuff. (But that’s a topic for another post :) )

• Avatar Image basilard9945p said 6 days, 2 hours ago:

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I’ve just seen some interviews on BoW from publishers that were talking about dealing direct with retailers and it got my curiosity piqued.

• Avatar Image rasmus4542p said 5 days, 15 hours ago:

TT Combat are also owned one of the UK Distributors

Official graduate of the Oriskany Operational Warfare Military Gaming Academy
    Warrens personal Viking Henchman
  • Avatar Image totsuzenheni157p said 5 days, 7 hours ago:

When i briefly looked into starting up a gaming store in the UK i found that, for the most part, i would have to deal with distributors, at least for a wide range of the mainstream products, because the companies producing the products, or at least the ‘bigger’ companies ( FFG and Z-man Games ) i looked at had exclusive distribution deals with a distributor. Specifically it looked like would have to buy from Esdevium Games, who essentially seemed to have a monopoly on FFG and Z-man Games’ titles in the UK, and could, and would effectively dictate what kind of store you could have. ( They wouldn’t allow someone to sell via ebay for example. Note that all these companies are now part of Asmodee. ) In addition there is a minimum amount that someone has to buy when they are buying stock, and there are discounts for buying larger and larger amounts of stock in one bulk buy. The minimum amount varies from company to company, but in general i found these amounts to be quite reasonable. However, there are obviously advantages to buying larger amounts when they bring with them ‘bulk buy’ discounts, and so even if a store isn’t forced to buy from one distributor by virtue of an exclusive distribution contract i expect that they often end up deciding to do so in order to save as much as possible on as much product as possible. One of the reasons i decided against opening a store is because rather than getting to run my own independent business i would in effect become something akin to a de facto unofficial subsidiary or franchise of Esdevium Games, or perhaps some other distributor.

• Avatar Image ivelilla6p said 5 days, 6 hours ago:

Hi, I’m Ivan from http://www.nonsenseminiatures.com, and usually in UK some shops are agree to work directly with me. But the main ones only want to work with distributors…think that if they ask only some few miniatures the shippment price is bigger than benefit.
    In USA I always work with distributor….shops even don’t reply mu mails :(

• Avatar Image nakchak4504p said 5 days, 4 hours ago:

Disties are a double edged sword, yes you are obliged to play by their rules in terms of ebay sales, product promotion, using there shelves display units (GW for example pay you for using their terrible paint racks (you have to order paint shades in 6′s but the rack will hold 7 at most, so unless you have a load of space to store dribs and drabs of paint you wait until you have run out then order, so its nigh on impossible to keep it fully stocked), and ok racking) even the ranges you can carry in some cases, on the other hand they offer you single stop shops for the vast majority of your stock and massivly simplified accounting which is huge bonus when running a shop, plus larger disties tend to let you have a credit facility, which can help a lot with cash flow, dealing direct with manufacturers tends to be cash sale, which can be an issue if it fails to sell, same logic applies when dealing with defects and returned stock in so much you just box it up and ship it back and either get replacements or your balance adjusted.

So generally for a small independent shop its not worth the hassle and risks of dealing with a manufacturer directly, especially as you often find that its one or two customers who are asking for something specific, as even if its a large order for the customer personally its not big enough to gain any level of discount or even free shipping, you also find that (in my experience) the customers who ask for that are happy enough to use the net to find what they want, just wont buy online for some reason, so they expect you to buy at retail price in some cases (less VAT if your VAT registered, assuming that the manufacturer is registered as well), or open a trade account if they offer one, as what they want is for you to sell it to them at the same price and for you to absorb the shipping, and then moan if you pass the cost of shipping on to them, you can probably guess i tell luddite customers to sort it out for them selves ;) .

There is no ignominy, there is glory,
    There is no servitude, there is dominance,
    There is no defeat, there is victory… victory eternal!