Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Fresh Water Challenge: 3D Printed Fountain

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the War is Coming: Warmaidens & Dragonbreds Kickstarter Campagin - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 35 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Fresh Water Challenge: 3D Printed Fountain (24 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image herrigold426p said 10 months ago:

Here’s something I’ve been meaning to make. Let’s start with some reference I found :

And now to build some shapes! The main shapes are the first bowl and the pool at the bottom.

I’ve also made a little object to experiment with detailing the main bowl. More soon!

fountain01.jpg
    fountain02.jpg
  • Avatar Image redvers142p said 10 months ago:

Wow, starting with a simple fountain I see! :-) Looking forward to see how you put this together. I’ve never tried 3d printing so I’m interested to see the steps involved.

Are you using a CAD package or something simpler like Sketch Up?

Thanks! I’ve been using 3DSMax for 20 years, so I use that.

Also, check out my other models if you’re interested!
    http://www.thingiverse.com/Herrigold/designs

• Avatar Image redvers142p said 10 months ago:

Those are amazing, well done. Shame I don’t have a 3d printer :-(

But 3d printing is the future in just about every area of life. I spoke to a colleague today who had a 3d printed ceramic tooth fitted (it wasn’t printed in situ!)

I had a bit of time to detail things up this morning. I’m not sure I like it just yet. And there’s lots of mesh to clean up.

fountain03.jpg

More work on the model… and I’ve started a test-print. I want to see what the detail level is going to be like. I’ll see it when I get home from work!

fountain04.jpg

Turned out pretty well. I still don’t like the vertical print lines, but I think I might have to accept them on such an organic shape. Paint will help.

fountain05.jpg
  • Avatar Image herrigold426p said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

I decided I wanted to do a full painting and water test The water was done with some cheap epoxy glue from the dollar store. It turned out alright, but I learned some things that will make my final version a lot better.

fountain06.jpg
  • Avatar Image zombieking663p said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

that’s a lovely paint job. the whole piece looks amazing!

brainzzz or GTFO!
  • Avatar Image lancorz948p said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Is that tiny fish in the water too?

Twitter @Lancorz | Twitch Live Tue/Thur 8pm GMT
    Community Manager / Editor Extraordinaire

Er… yes? No, they seem to be chips of resin that came off the container or something. But I have considered putting something in there too, like they do here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyWe4rD_Rk0

• Avatar Image radegast6815p said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

beautiful ! I would love to add it tomy Wolsung table

Gmes I play – Warmachine, WarzoneResurrection, Malifaux, Batman, Infinity, Wolfsung, Dust, FlamesOfWar, Dreadball, Deadzone,all kind of Boardgames
    http://miniaturesconversion.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks, but I’m not done yet! This is my test piece.

@lancorz inspired me to try out the “painting on resin” technique.

fountain07.jpg