Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Fresh Water Challenge: River Pathway

Beasts of War Homepage

Grab your Aristeia Box Today - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 1 minute ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Fresh Water Challenge: River Pathway (19 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image sneil33p said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hey everyone, sorry for this extremely late entry but I had only recently just found out about this and was struggling to get this in on time! However, here it is, the final day! I’ve not made any water features before so this was a first for me. I really wanted to experiment with splashes and making them look as real as possible. I ended up using cotton off the ends of Q-tips to provide the structure and slowly built up the splash using Modge-Podge a little bit at a time, letting it dry after each layer. I think it turned out fairly well.

The water itself was a little silly as I ended up layering it with 3 different colors to finally get the look I wanted lol. The first layer was much too blue so I added the second layer as a green. Then it turned the water aqua which was way too ugly and unrealistic. The 3rd layer was a brown which finally gave me the look I was after. So from the top it looks great, looking at the side however, you can see each of the layers hehe. Looks fine enough though. I also added a 4th clear layer as well as the final top layer which helped in giving some depth to the water where things close to the surface are nice and clear, then fades as it falls deeper below the surface.

In these first pics I started off by layering the project with 2 layers of 2″ high density pink foam then carved out my rocks and path. Sorry, I never took any pics of the carving as I did it pretty much in one go and forgot to start the camera at this point.

After I was happy with the carving I applied the gravel and sand. I just grabbed the gravel off my driveway and sifted it into 3 different rock sizes (small, med ,lrg). I start off applying the larger rocks to the glued area since if you start out small or with sand you’ll take up all the glue and have no room for your larger rocks to stick, having to apply more glue over top of the sand and making a big mess/hassle. So I started with the large rocks and moved down to medium, small, then the sand which filled in all the gaps.

188.jpg
    258.jpg
    340.jpg
    427.jpg
    527.jpg

After the gravel and sand has dried, I painted the entire project with a black primer. I almost ruined the entire thing by applying a primer that eats through Styrofoam, but luckily I tried it on a test piece first which was completely dissolved. :P So I went out and found the proper stuff.

After the primer I started off applying a burnt umber.

616.jpg
    716.jpg
    813.jpg
    911.jpg
    1017.jpg

I then went on to dry brush in the highlights on the rocks and airbrush the water area with lighter blue in the shallow areas and a deep blue in the deeper. I also did some airbrushing on the pathway with different shades of brown and grey to simulate sand and dirt.

Then I went on to apply flocking/static grass with two types of static grass (4ground(!!) and Army Painter brands) and one type of flocking. I’ll post pictures off all materials at the end.

1124.jpg
    1222.jpg
    1317.jpg
    1416.jpg
    1512.jpg

So here’s the first poor of the water. I used Envirotex two part resin for the water pouring at 1/8 of an inch with each pour and tinting with paint. For the boarder to dam in the resin, I applied packing tape to the inner side where the resin would be blocked so it would peel away easily after it was all dry. I also was careful to seal all around the edges of the damn with an epoxy to stop any leaks from the resin. This is important as it will find any leaks and possibly drain out if left overnight! It takes 24hrs to fully cure, so plenty of time for leakage. (I’d gotten all this information from Terranscapes and his ocean boards (Amazing).This first layer was much too blue for my liking.

I also made my first test for water splashes here using modge-podge and cotton from Q-tips and was happy with the results.

I then went on to start the splashes on the rock in the river using the cotton technique.

1610.jpg
    1710.jpg
    189.jpg
    209.jpg
    197.jpg

Finally I added in my grass tufts and added the gloss Liquitex gel for the waves in on the surface of the water. I built up a little too quickly around the rock in the middle and it took a while for that to fully dry. But I basically just used a popsicle stick for apply the Liquitex and playing with it to get the effect of flowing water. This part was more difficult then I thought it would be, but it turned out alright I think.

2119.jpg
    2312.jpg
    2217.jpg

I also made a tree using sagebrush pieces and Woodland Scenics fine leaf foliage and I must say it turned out waaay better than I could have hoped for! In person it looks amazing and was not at all difficult to do. I just broke apart pieces from the foliage clumps and glued them on throughout the tree armature using a two part epoxy. I used epoxy due to the fast drying time as I only would glue on about three pieces at a time and make sure they were absolutely secure before moving on. The epoxy helped a lot in speeding this up.

I also dipped the sagebrush armature into floor wax, which is what i use as a paint protector for my minis, 3-4 times letting it soak well for 5-10 min then drying before the next coat. I did this to help stop the tree from drying out and becoming too brittle over time and it also helped the colors pop out on the tree making it look more brown and alive then the dull grey it was before.

190.jpg
    259.jpg
    342.jpg
    428.jpg

And here is the final product! I’m quite proud of this one as a first attempt for water. The cotton splash is my favorite. :) Again, sorry for the last minute entry on this one!

Threw in my Descent mini’s to add some flavor to the scene.

528.jpg
    617.jpg
    717.jpg
    814.jpg
    912.jpg

Here’s a shot of the final water splash:
    (I’ll post all materials in a sec)

1018.jpg
  • Avatar Image soapdodger471p said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looks awesome! Congrats for getting it in on time. Love the depth of water you managed to get. Well done!

Thanks very much! :)

Here are the materials I used. The Fabri-Tac I forgot to mention was used for gluing the styrofoam together. Also all the different grass/leafy tufts were from an ebay seller I found called tajima1 from tajima1.co.uk. Awesome tufts!!

materials1.jpg
  • Avatar Image evilstu660p said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Really impressive work! Great job. The water splashes and rippling on the flowing water really make this come alive.

• Avatar Image radegast6836p said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

This is seriously good stuff mate

Gmes I play – Warmachine, WarzoneResurrection, Malifaux, Batman, Infinity, Wolfsung, Dust, FlamesOfWar, Dreadball, Deadzone,all kind of Boardgames
    http://miniaturesconversion.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks very much for the kinds words!

• Avatar Image herrigold435p said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent!

Thanks!

Here are two more shots with a nice water reflection from the light. (and a good shot of the funky water layers :P )

1125.jpg
    1223.jpg