Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | George’s Age of Sigmar PLog

Beasts of War Homepage

Infinity Beyond Packs, Pre-Orders Start Monday July 24th - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 7 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

George’s Age of Sigmar PLog (22 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image georgesealy71p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Hi All!

As the saying goes, a beginning is a very delicate time. Know then, that I’ve been wanting to document my hobby progress properly for a while, and my new found interest in Age of Sigmar seems a good place to start.

My aim is to share progress, methods and problems as I go, in the hope that this can be of interest / use to others in the community. Also I welcome all feedback, and suggestions on how I can improve / optimise my efforts.

My current projects are a Wanderers army and I’m just starting on a Skaven Army, based on Clan Mors.

Like many of us, I’ve been affected by the recent changes with Photobucket, so let’s see if Google Photos is any better…

Current project log: Wood Elves and Skaven
  • Avatar Image zombieking619p said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Good luck with the blog. I love getting seeing how peoples’ techniques and work evolves as time goes on.

Great minis to get started with too – skaven.have got tons of character to them. Have you a colour scheme in mind?

brainzzz or GTFO!

First success, Google Photos seems like a reasonable place to store my photos.

@zombieking Thanks! Hopefully this helps to keep me motivated to push on and finish off my projects :) The Skaven are gorgeous, and a major distraction from my Wanderers, who have “seniority” :D The colour scheme I’m thinking of will be based around Clan Mors – a disciplined, non-nurgle faction! The Tale of Painters blog has some great examples. Red armour, off-white accent colours:

Image Credit

But I’m getting ahead of myself showing my Skaven… first up some Wanderers.

I recently came across the Painting Pyramid series of videos by James Wappel, and it’s a fundamentally different way to paint for me.

The basic idea quickly block in your mid tones across the entire miniature, then work up highlights (this is what James calls the “shaded basecoat”. Next up, washes provide the darkest darks, tone colours and also neaten up most of your edges. Finally, a last highlighting stage provides the final detail and “pop” to the miniature.

There’s a few advantages to this technique:
    - the majority of your painting is done with a size 6 round or flat brush. Yep, size 6!
    - you cover all the primer on the miniature in a minute or so
    - no guess work with colours – as you’re covering the entire miniature quickly, you can see how colours work together quickly. Change is simple, and costs you very little at this stage.

Some photos to show what I mean…

This is after the shaded basecoat is painted. This is maybe 10-15 minutes work, which for me at least, is fast.

This is the same mini after washes have been added. You could in fact stop here, but a final pass picking out details and final highlights can really bring out the model a lot.

And here’s some fun – this is what my palette looks like after a few figures… I’m using maybe 8 colours on the wanderers, mixing in-between shades as I go. No need to remember colour recipes!

Back to Basics
    Plastics can often feel very light and fragile, so I like to bulk them up a bit with a sturdy base. A friend had some 3mm MDF bases that were perfect for the job (and will make it easy to add a magnetic base later on). Age of Sigmar isn’t overly picky about base sizes, which is great. In this case I could mount the infantry figures of 32mm bases instead of the more standard 25mm. I like it as it gives a bit more room to showcase each mini.

To create a woodland feel to the army, I’m building up the bases with bark and bits and pieces of branches. I’ve borrowed the technique from James Wappel, where a textured paste is used to create a bed for the bark etc which is added with a couple of drops of super glue while the texture is still wet. Finally git / sand / parsley flakes are added in patches to add some variation.

The end result looks something like this:

Add some paint (shaded base coat and washes again), and you get:

I’m still figuring this technique out, but I’m pretty happy with how it’s going. The final touch will be adding some leaves and tufts to the base. I picked up a leaf hole punch from Green Stuff World, and here’s a first experiment:

I cut the leaves from real leaves. Currently there’s every colour of leaf you can imagine within 10 metres of my front door – perfect for the autumn feeling I’m aiming for.

• Avatar Image angelicdespot860p said 1 week ago:

This is looking great! I find ‘real’ (i.e. achievable) armies to be more inspirational than superb, tournament winning ones quite often. Especially if they’ve been painted quickly and look great.

I’ll be watching your progress with interest!

• Avatar Image nodri92p said 1 week ago:

Great stuff, especially considering how quickly it was painted. The extra effort you put into the basing was definitely worth it. I’d love to see more on how you did the Skaven. The color scheme is very eye-catching.

I’m looking forward to seeing your progress.

“I do not know anything about Art with a capital A. What I do know about is my art. Because it concerns me. I do not speak for others. So I do not speak for things which profess to speak for others. My art, however, speaks for me. It lights my way.”
    — Mark Z. Danielewski
  • Avatar Image georgesealy71p said 1 week ago:

@angelicdespot Thanks! I’ll try not to disappoint… :)

@nodri Thank you – I’m hoping the basing will be the thing that makes this army stand out – after all, an autumnal colour scheme on Wood Elves is nothing new :) However I need to point out the Skaven image was from the Tale of Painters blog – I doubt I could achieve that level of quality with the time I have! Hopefully I’ll have a test figure to show off soon… I now have enough of my Skaven assembled to start thinking about paint. This is the state of my Skaven currently:

• Avatar Image nodri92p said 1 week ago:

An autumnal scheme on elves may not be new, but it looks pants-wettingly good when done well. I can’t wait to see a completed unit of them.

Sorry for the confusion on the Skaven. I was distracted by the image – it’s a very well done army. Based upon the quality of your elf, I don’t think you have anything to worry about with the Skaven.

• Avatar Image georgesealy71p said 4 days, 1 hour ago:

A Tale of Two Skaven

So today I can show the colour scheme for Clan Rats. I wanted to do a test figure to make sure my colour choices would work well. I had him primed and ready to go. As I was getting my paints etc. out, he disappeared. Vanished. No idea where he went. A couple of days later, and I still have no idea where he is.

If I ever find him, I’ll make him my Warlord! Sneaky McSneakface.

Anyway, a willing substitute was found and primed. Here’s the colours I use:

The colours in some of these photos are a bit shiny, sorry. It’s a combination of poor lighting and still wet paint… I will eventually use the three lighter colours in the background right as highlights. A minute in, and we have paint all over the undercoat. It looks pretty terrible, but that’s part of the process. Note that these are all darker midtones, now we start to lighten things up quickly.

Bringing in some lighter tones (you can see I have the highlight colours in use now):

Lighter still, still fairly rough (the washes will tidy a lot up):

And now the basic shading is done. At this stage I don’t think I’ve gone below a Size 4 brush:

Washes applied:

Now we go back in and tidy up the highlights and the base:

All up I’m pretty happy with how he’s turned out. Next up is to try and batch paint a bunch of them, see how fast I can get these guys painted…

• Avatar Image beardragon141354p said 3 days, 23 hours ago:

Oh he is beautiful (as rats go) well done sir !!!

Likes: KoW, DS, DB, DZ, WP, AoS, LotR/H, BB, BtGoA, K47, GB, WM/H, AW and acronyms :-)
    Also likes: Dwarfs, Beer, Family, Good Friends, and Women with no taste in Men (thank god for them)
  • Avatar Image georgesealy71p said 3 days, 21 hours ago:

@beardragon14 Thank you! Rats have a certain beauty all their own (as long as Nurgle doesn’t claim them, that is)

Only an idiot would try NMM on a horde army…

I had some more time to work on the Skaven, so it’s a good chance to see how quickly I can churn these out. But why not make things a bit more interesting? I’ve always been afraid of NMM, so why not give it a go?

First off, vital preparations. Commemorative Anzac Biscuits are a) yummy (@warzan) , b) support a good cause and c) the tins are ideal for transporting miniatures with magnetic bases:

No progress photos this time, but I managed to get the basic shading done on 9 figures in about 3 hours. Washes and highlights will be maybe another hour. Not overly fast, but I’ve never been a quick painter!

Not sure about the NMM, but I can always cover it in rust :D Still it’s good to try these things, and hopefully I can develop the technique with a bit more perseverance – after all, I have an entire horde to practice on!

• Avatar Image inu53126p said 3 days, 7 hours ago:

Always loved the standard/skryre style skaven, those look really nice. I haven’t tried nmm myself but at first glance I’d say the highlights look great you just maybe need some deep shadow to get it to really pop :)

• Avatar Image georgesealy71p said 3 days, 1 hour ago:

@inu53 thanks! I think you’re right about the extra depth on the metal. I still have to add some washes and final highlights to the models, so I will try to really accentuate the contrast on the metal.

• Avatar Image georgesealy71p said 2 days, 18 hours ago:

The Joy of Pinning

One of the things you quickly learn when building GW Wood Elves is how fragile they are. All those antlers and things!

Here is the first casualty:

Luckily, there was scope to get a small pin in there with a bit of care. I use paper clips for all my pinning, and for something like this, a pin vice and plenty of patience is all you need. Until your cat gets involved…

My Nomad prince had already had the hawk pinned back on, and now the cat had broken his spear in 3 pieces and broken the hawk right next to the first pin…

Luckily (again) the spears are just wide enough to take a pin. The Hawk is just glued back in place, I’ll have to hope for the best. I guess the moral of this story is that you’d be amazed at what you can pin if you have to!