Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Guildball Masons – Granite [by Gorilla with a Brush]

Beasts of War Homepage

Forge of Destiny Facebook - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 2 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Guildball Masons – Granite [by Gorilla with a Brush] (14 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image gorillawithabrush946p said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Here is a quick little project I started to help my friend flesh out his Masons Guild Ball team. (Note that this is not my secret project mini I keep talking about. I will post that on Wednesday September 12. :) ]

I used Kujo Painting’s skin recipe for her face (you can look up a tutorial video for this on YouTube.]

Next I did her armor. I am pretty happy with it, although I might go back and touch it up in a few places. Most of the intermediate grays have some gray/blue paint added to the mixtures to give the armor a slight blue tint to it. To accent this, I glazed some dark red into the shadows. It’s very subtle, and kind of hard to see in these images, but it just ever so slightly creates some nice visual interest for what is otherwise a kind of bland color (gray).

Unfortunately as I started painting her I realized that there are some really rough spots from some primer overspray. I’m not entering her into a competition or anything so I’m not going to worry about it too much, but you might spot a few rough patches, especially on her legs, that mess with the crispness of the paint job a bit.

Interested in following my painting progress? I post WIP pictures after each painting session and am happy to chat about the hobby any time. Facebook: @GorillaPainter; Twitter: @GorillaBrush; Website:; Twitch Streaming:
  • Avatar Image gorillawithabrush946p said 6 months ago:

Some more progress. I didn’t take a lot of intermediate pictures for her… I admit I kind of forgot. I was a bit engrossed in Dateline documentaries while painting last night and neglected to take a lot of pictures.

As with my recent projects, the basic approach to the areas is to paint a mid to dark basecoat, layer up my highlights, glaze the entire area with the base color to restore tone, and then glaze in some shading. Depending on the material I might go back and reestablish some of the extreme highlights right at the end (usually more metal areas, rarely ever for clothing).

And here’s where I stopped. I think I should be able to get her done in one more painting session (minus the base).

I managed to get Granite finished up last night (except her base – I needed to wait for the glue on the basing materials to dry).

I started off by finishing up the metal areas I left to last and painted her weapon. I wanted the weapon to feel very utilitarian – not a showy, highly reflective and polished surface. So I carefully built up the lighter colors through about 10 glaze layers, and then I went back and glazed the entire gray areas of the weapon in the original dark base color, then followed it up by glazing some really dark blue, then black, then orange into the shadow areas. I’m pretty happy with the result.

The final image above is probably the best picture of the set so far that shows the hint of the red tint I glazed into the shadows of the armor to add some visual interest. You can just barely see it.

I finished off by painting her hair to complete the look.

I’ll post final pictures once I get the base done.

I think it’s worth mentioning one tip here. In the final (front-on) image, your eye should be drawn right to the face (mine certainly is). If so, then I did my job correctly as a painter. You can help focus a viewer’s eye on the parts of the mini you want to draw attention to by making it the lightest, brightest part of the mini. The human eye is naturally drawn to those spots, and if you mute and darken other areas you can really control the attention of a viewer. If you find yourself just scrolling past some models while others really grab you, it might be that the ones you gloss over are very “flat” with little variations in contrast and nothing that draws your attention to specific parts of the model.

Drawing attention to a model’s face is a good rule of thumb if there’s nothing else on the model worth highlighting (like a lantern/light source, magical sword, etc.). Although there isn’t much flesh showing on this model, you’ll see a lot of painters make their faces lighter shades of skin tone than the rest of the body for this very reason – and not just humans! They will paint orc faces a lighter shade green, put more highlights on fur around an animal’s face, etc.

Anyway, just something to think about when you paint your next model – where do you want a viewer’s attention to go on your model? How are you going to use paint to help achieve this?

• Avatar Image inu53229p said 6 months ago:

Oh my, lovely paint job. The first few pictures have me wanting to see a 2p colour where she has black hair. The blonde though is great against the steel.

@inu53 said:
    Oh my, lovely paint job. The first few pictures have me wanting to see a 2p colour where she has black hair. The blonde though is great against the steel.

Thank you! Yes, I think black hair would have looked good, and I did think about it. I opted for the blonde hair to bring more attention to her head since the model on the whole was quite dark. But black was my second choice. :)

• Avatar Image mage6040p said 6 months ago:

Looks fantastic so far dude, I love your painting. Each one of your pics is a joy to look at.

@mage said:
    Looks fantastic so far dude, I love your painting. Each one of your pics is a joy to look at.

Thanks @mage!

• Avatar Image gorillawithabrush946p said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Final pictures. :)

A lot of people comment on her hair. Blonde hair is tricky for sure, and I think most people’s “error” when trying to paint blonde hair is to use yellow. Blonde hair isn’t really yellow, even though that’s what we commonly see used in cartoons as a simplified way of representing the color.

These are the colors I used for Granite’s hair. None of them are a true yellow. The darkest color is a green undertone brown. The next one is a mustard khaki color and the last two are off-white with a tiny bit of yellow undertone to them.

• Avatar Image caladors5471p said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks brilliant man especially the hair you should do a tutorial on blonde hair people have real trouble with it man I mean a lot of trouble with it!

But yeah the hair and the eye are real stand outs!

Thanks @caladors! It’s pretty much:

1) basecoat with Arabic Shadow.
    2) Paint everything but the deepest recesses Iroko.
    3) Using pretty thin paint, mix 50%/50% Birch and Iroko and paint towards the “halo” area that forms a circle around the top of the head (but away from the roots). This is because light doesn’t shine off the roots, it shines off of an area that kind of forms a circle going from the temples to the back of the head.
    4) Repeat with just Birch, leaving some of the previous mix showing.
    5) Repeat with 50%-50% mix of Birch and White Sands.
    6) Repeat with just White Sands.

And you’re done. :)

I will take more step-by-step pictures next time I have a model with blonde hair and do a more “real” tutorial.

It’s a big help already :D

often people don’t have ‘your’ particular brand of paint (even when it is GW) so when I describe things I make sure to give the colour of the paint as well :) I think when you do up your tutorial you should do that :D

But yeah it looks really good I am going to give it a try it look a lot like for me with the GW colours
    Tallarn Sand, then Zandri Dust, then Ushabti Bone then just White Scars
    Would that be about right? though the final one may be close to screaming skull…
    Oh GW you and your paint names.

I may describe them as a Deep Desert Sand, a Dark Sand, Bone and a cream white.

Anyway it will be a massive help :D

I think for GW paints, the equivalents are roughly:

1) Balor Brown
    2) mix of Zamari Desert and Tallarn Sand
    3) Ushabit Bone and Screaming Skull
    4) Screaming Skull

However, I haven’t used the “new” GW colors all that much. I used to use Snakebite Leather, Desert Yellow, Bubonic Brown, and Bleached Bone to do blonde hair.

I think you could probably get away with starting with Tallarn Sand, then goin to Zamari Desert, and then Screaming Skull (while mixing intermediates). Maybe Ushabit Bone thrown in there depending – I don’t own it and can’t totally tell what it looks like from online charts. My biggest concern would be Zamari Desert has a bit more yellow in it than I would use, but play around with it! It’s only paint. :) . (If you do find that is the case, just mix it with Tallarn Sand and don’t use it straight.)

Zandri Dust is like a really deep bone colour no yellow, it crosses between a brown and bone

So maybe the way to word it may be a desert brown, into a sand brown, into a bone colour into a cream? but yeah I do believe I have a lot of those old colours I love the old GW range I pay stupid prices in secretive eBay auctions to get them. Or snipe eBay auctions when I can see a deal one of the two ha ha ha.

But yeah I have real trouble with the blonde hair and I think you’re right for the same reason a lot of people do they use yellows and I did too but I think the problem is there are some good techniques out there like the eye one I am always on about ha ha.

so I will hopefully be trialling this out soon enough :)

• Avatar Image gumbafish52p said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Really nice work and some useful advice to consider regarding how to draw attention to specific focal points of a mini.