Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Happyhowler’s Many Many Projects

Beasts of War Homepage

Find Out More Battle Systems Core Space - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 50 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Happyhowler’s Many Many Projects (486 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image happyhowler1506p said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Hello everyone! I once had two 40k army logs, here in the Beasts of War forums. But 40k isn’t the only game I play and I have many projects. This, I hope, will become a melting pot of various projects and I encourage you to visit, comment, criticize…

If you are interested, here are the links to my remaining 40k army log:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/groups/wh40k-orks/forum/topic/bloojaws-waaagh/

My imperial army tread is no longer available since the site is slowly metamorphosing but don’t worry! Any new projects for this army will end up here!

• Avatar Image guitarhulk20p said 2 years, 7 months ago:

I’m working on combining miniature gaming and filmmaking:

http://adpsgamingcloset.blogspot.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5rIjzH_swrgMc6DL-MSUXQ

So first I’d like to show you my hobby room… If you followed any of my other topics, you may have seen how a small corner of my basement slowly turned into an awesome “hobbytorium” (as I like to call it). This is my work station:

As you can see, the floor and the ceiling aren’t finished yet… And the desk will go at some point. I also want to build some shelves and the wooden door on the wall (hiding the electric panel) will become a chalkboard so my gaming buddies and I can keep track of our games’ progress. In the next picture, you’ll see my gaming table (and the refrigerator for the beer). That’s another work in progress of which I’d like to write about in this topic…

My gaming table is an all-in-one piece of furniture. My girlfriend’s dad build it with me. It has shelves on one end and sliding doors on its sides to protect my miniature and terrain collections:

Last but not least is the boardgame closet:

Consider the yellow-ish white on the walls as a basecoat for something more elaborate. Intrigued? Come back once in a while to see my progress.

sous_sol_wip_21.jpg
    sous_sol_wip_22.jpg
    sous_sol_wip_23.jpg
    sous_sol_wip_24.jpg

So you’ve seen my hobby room. What am I working on at the moment?

I convinced my friends to start a Myth campaign so I decided to start painting the miniatures. During my lunch breaks, this week, I’m going to remove the mold lines on the crawlers and stalkers. Today, I removed them from their base:

I did that because it will be easier to do the green stuff on the base and the miniatures. I also want to get rid of the piece of plastic attaching the insects to their base and find a more subtle way to do it.

I told you I have many projects, didn’t I? Well, I also run a Blood Bowl league every year. Blood Bowl is the game that brought me into the hobby. If you’d like to see the first miniatures I ever painted, have a look at this topic:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/groups/blood-bowl/forum/topic/pictures-of-your-teams/

See you soon.

crawlersnstalkers_wip_1.jpg
  • Avatar Image tuskar227p said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Gratulations @happyhowler, your new “hobbytorium” (I like this word btw:)) looks just amazing! I’m excited to see what’ll you show us from there in the future.

Cheers

“He who thinks little, errs much.” Leonardo da Vinci
  • Avatar Image cpauls15933p said 2 years, 7 months ago:

No display cabinets to show off your work? You’ve got lots of wall space :-) . Fantastic job! Keep us posted.

• Avatar Image jay188994p said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Sooooooooo much to look through happyhowler and I’m most envious of your hobby room, great stuff ;)

• Avatar Image manpug3317p said 2 years, 7 months ago:

I have a hobby room as well. It’s called the closet or at least the top section is all for me. A little hobby table beside the computer is all I got for now.

I’m starting to love kit bashing for Orks. It can be so much fun!
  • Avatar Image caladors4770p said 2 years, 6 months ago:

That project of yours looks really interesting I am hoping to see how it works out soon.

• Avatar Image happyhowler1506p said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Once again guys, thanks for your support and I hope the things I’ll post in here will be up to your expectations.

A quick update!

The Myth miniatures are a tougher nut to crack than they first appeared to be… Let me explain. The plastic is a lot softer than what I’m used to (having mostly worked with GW products). The filing is harder and doesn’t make as clean a job as one would expect. Forget th easy way out offered by the hobby knife too!

So far, I’ve cleaned about half the crawlers I have (25) but the stalkers and the 27 bases have been cleaned. It took me half an hour simply to remove the miniatures from their base. I understand why Megacon Games went with pre-assembled miniatures but, it’s a pain if you ever want to paint them to a good standard. The miniatures are highly detailed though and I should be able to clean and prime the grubbers without having to remove their bases.

I’m still wondering what I’ll do with the large plastic block attaching the crawlers to their base… I’d like to remove them so it looks more realistic but I don’t want to spend too long on this as my ork projects are stalled while I work on this… More later.

Oh! My good friend @offline received a package in the mail today! It’s a terrain project we’ll tackle together! Every Wednesday night is hobby night so maybe I’ll have some pictures for you then!

Stay tuned!

Yesterday night was hobby night. My good friend @offline and I spent a good part of the night cleaning the pieces of the terrain kit we received earlier this week. It’s a wonderful (and huge) kit by Wargames Tournaments. I think it’s the same kit which was used for the BoW ocean platform table. 18 towers, 42 walkways and 36 ladders!

http://www.wargamestournaments.com/acatalog/28mm_Industrial_Terrain_.html

It’s the first time I tackle as big a project and it’s also the first time I get together with a friend for a hobby project. This is going to be fun. We each are to keep half of the kit but we’ll paint it together so we can put it all on the same table when we organize a monstrous game.

I’ll post step-by-step pictures when we start painting it!

Cheers!

I did it! I cleaned all the crawlers and stalkers! They only thing left to do is to remove that disgraceful plastic cube underneath each insect:

That is my challenge for next week-end. Tomorrow, I’ll work on preparing the Terror with a Thousand Legs!

crawlersnstalkers_wip_2.jpg
  • Avatar Image caladors4770p said 2 years, 6 months ago:

This project looks so tedious, it would do my head in…

@caladors: Don’t get me wrong! The miniatures are really great, it’s just that I’m not used to work with this kind of material. Those are made to be boardgame pieces so that the game can appeal to a wider range of people. I like painting miniatures and I don’t care spending that time on them… In fact, I think it’s pretty fun!

I finished prepping the Terror with a Thousand legs today so I’m a little bit closer to my goal!

I did it! I finished removing the plastic pieces attaching the Myth insects to their base! It required loads of dremmel work, filing and swearing too (and beer, never forget the beer) but it’s now over:

So now, the cawlers, stalkers and the Terror With a Thousand Legs are primed:

I’m quite tempted to let them off their base… But I don’t think I’ll do that because I want a uniform look throughout the game’s miniatures.

This week, I’ll work on the ork trukk some more (see the first post of this topic for a link to my ork army log) and I’ll try to finish the crawlers’ bases next week-end.

Have a great week guys!

crawlersnstalkers_wip_3.jpg
    crawlersnstalkers_wip_4.jpg