Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Hobby Weekender – Murder My Heart

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Legends of Sleepy Hollow Kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 2 hours, 15 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Hobby Weekender – Murder My Heart (93 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image evilstu581p said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

And it’s the weekend again (well, almost… But an early kick-off to the weekend is never a bad thing…). Welcome all to this week’s Hobby Weekender. A refuge from the trials of the week and a place to recharge prior to the next week commencing.
    Newcomers are welcome, please feel free to jump on in and join in the conversation. By tradition no politics and no religion. Regulars, you all know the drill by now.
    Please share with us the music you have on to sustain yourself while hobbying (or while doing anything else for that matter).
    Also, a hobby pledge of some sort is required. This can be aspirational rather than a hard commitment so don’t stress too much, the idea is to have fun. But let us all know what it is you are hoping to get done during the next week. Pictures, battle reports or write-ups would be great.
    As per tradition, a few questions to get the conversation going.
    1. Cybernetic implants – would you go for them? Why or why not?
    2. There hasn’t been a commercially and critically ‘successful’ film transitioned form video gaming IP so far – do you think anything from the realm of non-video games could transition lore successfully to a Hollywood film?
    3. End of year breaks are on the not-too distant horizon. Do you have time off? If so, what are your plans?
    Wishing everyone a great weekend and an awesome weekend ahead!

And a bonus question – Why can’t I stop listening to this?…

• Avatar Image mage5078p said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

First!

Happy Friday everyone, on this glorious Thursday! A day early is no harm. Can’t listen to any of the music for now. Maybe after work, :)

My pledge:
    —————
    (1) Finish my Catwoman miniature (she is 80% done)

(2) Finish 9 movement trays for test of Honour (they have received one coat of brown, require complete basing and touch-ups)

(3) Finish my six Ronin for test of honour (they require varnish, snow and static grass)

(4) Work on my Dark Elves (12 Dark Elf Infantry with Crossbows for Age of Sigmar)

I’m not going to get over ambitious with this and my son coming up tomorrow and being here all weekend with his party, but I’ll try to get more done.

I hope that didn’t count as Religion.

Answers to Questions:
    ——————————

(1) Yes, when the inevitabliity of ageing sits in preventing certain pyhsical activity. I mean, were they to exist it would be better than a replacement hip or bulging discs that would never ever be fixable

(2) Yes, but you need a person with experience writing in television and film to do so. Someone who gets the IP. Preferrably an Autour for the game in question, like the way Nolan mostly wrote, produced and directed the Dark Knight trilogy. Video game movies have a glaring problem which a lot of people don’t seem to notice – too many chefs in the kitchen. I think a Mass Effect Trilogy done right and fixing the crappy ending done in the style of the Marvel movies would be fantastic.

(3) I do shift work, so no, not really. I do have my son this Christmas day though which is nice. I plan to just enoy the time with family.

Thanks for the well wishing, right back at you with a good weekend.

And first points to @mage – I love how you claim your pledge is not overly ambitious but it’s still more than I’d usually get knocked over in a week :) I did really like your Test of Honour bases posted on last week’s thread – good looking stuff. Awesome news that you have your son for the weekend, hope the party goes well. Mice that you have him for Christmas too :)

Hadn’t considered the obvious evolution of medical supports via cybernetics (cochlear implant is a bit of an obvious example on reflection, pacemakers would possibly qualify too?), excellent point. I wonder what else they will be able to action via technological means as far as prolonging or rejuvenating function of organs on the years to come?

Excellent point with regard to too many people having input in to the film process. I read an article saying that’s why Joss Whedon walked away from directing the Marvel Avengers films – to walk away from a franchise that successful you’d have to imagine wouldn’t have been done lightly.

And awesome Disturbed track :)

My hobby pledges for the week:

1. Start painting a test giant from the reaper Bones range.
    2. Paint up a mounted paladin for a friend’s Bretonnian army
    3. Print up some siege engines
    And time permitting,
    4. Assemble and base-spray a couple of units of Knights of the Realm to accompany pledge 2

I have free time from time to time.

Catwoman will take a while with drying inks and washes. Bases will take a while with drying time too. Dark Elves don’t have all their basecoats yet. It won’t be fast work by any means. I’ll rattle out some work tonight.

Thanks!

Maybe something to do with lungs too and drainage to prevent Cystic fibrosis. I suppose cybernetic medical implants list the potential is endless save for toxicity in the materials they are made of.

Maybe have a law against sustaining life unnaturally or how much cybernetics it so much, more for medical problems than anything else or disabilities than simply improving quality. You’d have cybernetic addicts otherwise in much the same way as plastic surgery addicts.That cat lady comes to mind. You’d get some lunatic putting their brain in a giant robot spider. Then again I wouldn’t mind if someone like Stephen Hawking did it, as long as he didn’t weaponise it. Belisarius Cawl comes to mind…

Joss Whedon likes what he likes and takes what he does seriously. It must have been a lot to push him away and probably painful for the guy too.

Thanks!

Sounds like a fun and laid-back pledge @evilstu

Oh come on now, who WOULDN’T want to see Stephen Hawking’s brain in a giant metal weaponised spider exoskeleton? From all reports he’s very concerned about the future of AI, so maybe having him in a killer automated spider-tank means he could be on the front lines and defeat the robot uprising before it gained too much traction?

…OK, I’ll try and contain my inner eight year old now ;-)

It was silly of me to say that.

He, Elon Musk (Musc?) and half the other scientists on the planet. The Terminator is a fun franchise but self aware artificial life is a serious threat to our existence.

Ghost in the Shell springs to mind.

• Avatar Image tchrin283p said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Wow, KMFDM, there’s a blast from my past. Remember seeing them at the Electric Ballroom in London years ago, supported by PIG (during the Nihil tour). And En Esch wearing a kilt without anything underneath it. Which was really quite disturbing each time he put his foot on the monitor at the front of the stage!

As far as hobby stuff goes, I’ve just picked up a whole ton of 40K Ork stuff from ebay for a new army. So I need to start making sense of what I have, what I need to get, what needs (re)painting and then to start painting A LOT of minis. I’m not a fan of mass troop painting so first thing will be working out a decent way to speed paint them to a standard I’m happy with.

Enthusiastic Amateur Hobbyist
    Slowly (re)learning after a 15 year hiatus from the hobby

Hey @tchrin

How big was your ork haul? Painted?

Sounds like bright base coats, ish, followed by the army painter method man. Tabletop standard, if even, for a horde that big.

• Avatar Image biggabum2410p said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Ooooh, that came as a surprise. Thursday eh?

Welcome to the Weekender @tchrin .

Right first pledge for this week. Well I think due it being WWX week, i think it only appropriate that this week we should get a game of said WWX in. Lawmen (Wyatt Earp and Legendary Morgan Earp) vs Outlaws (Jesse James and Johnny Ringo).

Will pop some music up later.

And the questions.

1) I would have to agree with @mage on this question. I think it would be great for improving quality of life, but would have to be heavily regulated. If it was allowed to unnaturally prolong life it would cause all sorts of nightmare scenarios, overcrowding and faster depletion of resources being one. On the other hand it could open some doors too, like deep space exploration. Personally I like my bits as they are, working or knackered, so probably wouldnt go for it.

2) Mmmm a maybe answer on this one. I think on of the problems with Video game to Movie transitions is that they rarely stick to the plots that make the game poular. Take Resident Evil for example. The main protaganists of the game a reduced to a supporting role whilst introducing what is essentially a bargain basement Black Widow character as the lead. The game is popular because of the survival horror element, which is not present in the films.

As @mage says it does need someone who understands the IP, but they also need a good grasp of the Genre too, as well as full creative control.

3) A break? Sorry I have no idea what that is :-D

• Avatar Image tchrin283p said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Partially painted (see below), but what is painted is to a good standard. Which makes for a difficult question, to repaint or not to repaint.

And agreed about basically using the army painter method. I have a couple of ideas to speed things up with washes and airbrush too. Will have a play on Saturday with different techniques on a few models.

Model List (there’s also a new unpainted painboy to add to list):

orc-army.jpg

@biggabum He’s mixing it up, eh? To be fair with my shift pattern my weekend does start on a Thursday sometimes. Nobody else can relate to that though lol.

I’m not too into WWX but more power to you! Get some pics up :)

(1) Heavily regulated indeed. Hahahahaha… bits…

(2) It really isn’t with RE, it is more like Devil May Cry, but in a bad way. They aren’t about survival horror and more about big budget action… in a post apocalyptic dying world overwhelmed by the dead…

(3) ??? :)

@tchrin Do ten every week til you have a legal army list at minimum size? I’d say don’t repaint as your significantly going to increase the work load, assuming you like what is already painted. Just because it is a good standard doesen’t mean it is to your taste.

I’d love to see you do a step by step of a squad and see how your short cuts and trick yield results: both their quality and time consumption.

Kudos for posting the list! :)