Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Hobby Weekender – The Dice Are Loaded

Beasts of War Homepage

Find Out More Battle Systems Core Space - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 1 hour, 39 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Hobby Weekender – The Dice Are Loaded (85 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image evilstu657p said 1 week ago:

Welcome to the Hobby Weekender. Newcomers are welcome. Regulars, welcome back. As usual, no religion or politics. However, a hobby pledge (either aspirational or attainable is fine) is required. Posts of music to play whilst hobbying are actively encouraged, so please post away and share your tunes with us all.

A few questions to get the ball rolling and conversation happening:

1. If you had an unlimited time and budget (ie you just won your local lottery and scored a cheque with a silly amount of zeroes on the end), what would your gaming room look like? What would it contain and what would the centrepiece of your hobby collection be?

2. Is there any hobby (other than gaming) which has ever appealed to you or which you thought you might like to get involved in? If so, what is the hobby and what is it about it that interests you?

3. 2018 is on the horizon (unless you are an accountant in which case we’re up to halfway through depending on where you are located…). Do you have any major projects or things you want to do next year?

Will go for the points system again this week to nominate a winner, but will also go with a wildcard call-out for the single most awesome post, as decided arbitrarily by myself when I read it ;-)

Ok all, have fun and I will check in after a little sleep. In the meantime, seen as how we opened with the legendary Leonard Cohen let’s lower the tone somewhat…

• Avatar Image oriskany11618p said 1 week ago:

Okay, after something of a hiatus, perhaps I should return to this awesome thread …

Arghh … hold on, having trouble with posting photos …

Okay, sorted. Anyway, at the Flames of War Bootcamp back in March, I bought 22 of the old Battlefront Sherman sprues from @silverfox8 . These were from the old “Open Fire” boxed set, from an earlier manufacturer Battlefront thankfully doesn’t use anymore. These Sherman kits, I’m told are actually kind of infamous for their difficulty in assembling, but from what I could see they looked great once assembled and painted. The price was very low, so I figured what the hell.

Anyway, after the “Mother of all Summers” I’ve finally had a little spare time to get started on these guys.

The sprue –

Indeed these things are a SOB to put together (absolutely NOT like Battlefront plastics today). But “every miniature deserves a chance” and after a little trial and error, I started to learn where the parts had to be cut, shaved, or fixed so they would fit.

I also learned to “lash” the hulls together with old military boot bands while the glue dried.

The kits also game with no real way to attach the turrets. So I’m drilling into the hull, and making my own turret pins out of sprue scrap. This way the turret will stay on but rotate freely.

No, magnets would not have worked, as there is nothing to really attach them to inside the turret.

First one put together and built. 21 more to go! :D

November 7, 194275th Anniversary – Operation Torch – Allied Landings in North Africa
    sherman-02.jpg
    sherman-03.jpg
    sherman-04.jpg
    sherman-05.jpg
    sherman-01.jpg
    sherman-021.jpg
    sherman-01a.jpg
  • Avatar Image biggabum2510p said 1 week ago:

@evilstu Big thanks for hosting again.

@Oriskany welcome back good Sir. Nice job with the Tank upgrade.

What a busy week i’ve had. Matty’s Christmas and Birthday Pressies arrived in the mail. can’t say what the Christmas Pressy is yet coz he doesnt know (It’s Big), but he’s getting Bill Brocius and Robert Younger for Wild West Exodus for his Birthday in January (he will be getting some other stuff too though :-D ).

On top of a load of Chores the wife found me to do as punishment for my recent errrm shenanigans (which I approached with my usual gusto, meaning some are poorly done and others are really really poorly done), I was offered a new wheelchair for the wife (I thought it was an excellent swap but apprently thats not quite what the guy meant). I have also developed a new condition, I think the technical term is Skint.

Soooo the pledge this week is to paint up the Robomutts for the Lawmen and to build and paint Bill Brocius and Robert Younger…. yup thats right two pledges, aaaaand if I can find the time I will also be attempting to paint the two WWX Mini’s that have just this second arrived in the post, Wild Bill Hickok and Pat Garret for my Lawmen aaaaand if I can work it in somewhere I will attempt to get another WWX building painted.

Right on to the questions.

1) Mmmm It would have to be big enough to leave a few of those custom tables permanently set up. One 3×3 one 4×4 and an 8×4. I woiuld also have a good few Gaming mats of various sizes and designs to cover them. I would also have a good sized collection of Terrain and Gubbins. As a centre piece I would probably have a section dedicated to Big stuff like the Warmachime Collosals and the like. I would also need enough room for a 3d printer and a decent sized Hobby Station… and a cleaner to tidy up after me.

2) I have a few hobbies other than gaming, Oil Painting, I play Guitar (badly) and I do like to go Fishing occasionally (although I have this inability to catch anything decent). The reason they appeal to me is that sometimes things can get a little stressful at home and they are great ways to relax.

3) Ahhh no. I have learned that with my being so prone to Shiny Syndrome, it never pays to plan that far in advance. I think the biggest thing that I would like to do at some point is update my Terrain collection. Replace some of the scratch built buildings I have (seen better days) with some foreground stuff. Whether that takes place next year or not is anyones guess.

Okay, Question / Answer Time:

1. Unlimited Budget Gaming Room.

Okay, this is what it would look like. Wouldn’t be in my house, but a nearby warehouse. The warehouse would be cleaned and emptied, and a new roof put on (no rain leaks, as warehouse too often have). The warehouse would be at least 200 feet on a side. Couches, chairs, and tables would stand along the outer edges, along with a kickass router / server room for very vast, very powerful internet access. There would also be an editing bay for videos, photos, etc., and some higher-end DSLR cameras.

The vast majority of the room, 90% of its total surface area (34,000+ square feet) would be the gaming floor. Here we would have true-scale wargames, perhaps 1:1800 naval battles (at real scale), 28mm tank battles at true scale, etc.

A kitchen for food would be on one side. Oh, and a well-stocked bar, tended by a team of 3-5 very attractive ladies for special events. :D

Speaking of special events, this would have to be near a hotel so I could invite friends for “boot camp” style events, etc. :D

2. Other Hobbies:

I’m actually pretty serious into my artwork. I’ve published some of it before on this thread in the distant past. I’ll see if I can find some.

3. 2018 Projects?
    I’m not 100% sure this is going to happen, or if it does, what form it will take. But I kind of want to do some US Marine Corps-themed wargames in late January – early February 2018 for the 50th Anniversary of the Tet Offensive and Battle of Hue City in the Vietnam War. Anyone who’s seen Full Metal jacket knows what this is about.

If not, here is a 2 minute primer: :D :D :D

• Avatar Image mage5322p said 1 week ago:

Hey guys!

Glad to see this thread up. Answers to questions and then a pledge to come in the not too distant future. Nothing too inspiring or impressive.. My sinuses are all swollen up so thinking is a bit taxing, haha.

(1) My gaming room would look like a mini-palace devoted to hobby and gaming. Tables, terrain, board, shelves, etc. The works. A broad and vague description, but thats what it is. I don’t think I’d have anything too gaudy, over the top, or insane.

(2) I wouldn’t call Martial Arts a hobby but that is it. Doing it a few years now. There aren’t really other hobbies I do (I don’t even video game that much any more) aside from these nerd ones (board games, RPGs, miniature games and the lobbying associated with them). I’d like to get more into meditation and reiki healing. Not really a hobby as such, but then again a hobby is something you enjoy.

(3) I hope to do some martial arts competitions and do another grading in Taekwando next year but I have no solid hobby projects. With those I do smaller micro goals which I do each week. A holiday would be nice.

My pledge:

(1) cold ones to completion (5)

(2) dwarf barricade to completion (1)

(3) work on swordmasters (10)

(4) sorceress to completion (1)

(5) work on black Guard when they arrive (10)

(6) prime some high elves and gnoblars (14)

(7) assemble and prime ogres when they arrive (6)

(8) complete stuff not done on last weeks pledge

(9) console night

(10) board games night

(11) quality time with my son

(12) work on batman minis (5)

Ok a quiet afternoon has actually put me ahead of schedule and ive managed to get the easiest of my pledges done. The Robomutts (pictured with Wyatt Earp for siz comparison)

Also managed to get Matty’s Minis built and primed (this was actually done before the Robomutts to give the PVA on the base time to dry).

dsc_0377.jpg
    dsc_0376.jpg

@biggabum The robotmutts are looking good.

@evilstu Thanks for hosting!

@oriskany Good to see you back in the threads :)

@evilstu Joan and the Jetts, nice!

@oriskany Some good looking tanks there. How long did tank #1 take?

Answer #1 barmaids are a yes
    Answer #2 It would be great to see some of said artwork

@biggabum Are you not afraid he might come on the forum and read that? Nice purchase.

Sounds like you have some nice ways of getting relaxed.

@mage He chose his birthday present so knows what he’s getting, he doesnt know what he’s getting for christmas so I didnt mention that one. He does know its big though, because the little monkey tried to open it when it arrived… We have the same initial M so he tried the “I thought it was for me.” line. He’s almost as devious as I am :-D

I do, although I couldnt put the other one, PG rating and all that ;-D

@oriskany ‘s artwork is just amazing.

@mage and thanks for the comment on the Robomutts. (sorry missed the comment on first reading of thread)

Thanks for the comments and welcome back, everyone. :D

Okay, as requested by @mage … A little of my “other” hobby (this stuff is actually quite old) …

Character sketches from when I used to play a lot of World of Darkness RPG:

Fianna werewolf, Ireland (Werewolf: The Apocalypse). Do not f**k with this girl, she is a “bitch,” literally. And like most werewolves in this world, she really hates her some vampires.

Glasswalker kinfolk, Vancouver (Werewolf: The Apocalypse). She’s supposed to be all bad-ass and tech savvy, it’s not her fault this is an old, OLD sketch. Note the VGA port and a: drive disk in her laptop. OMG, that is SOOOO 2000s! :D

Cult of Ecstasy Mage, Miami Florida (Mage: The Ascension). They make it a point to enjoy the finer things in life, including a good cigar!

Dreamspeaker priestess, Alaska (Mage: The Ascension). Note the Dreamspeaker glyph behind her.

Fianna Theurge Elder, Alaska, in crinos form (Werewolf: The Apocalypse). He “retired” as a character running his own sept and caern. The stick in his claw is engraved with the Litany (werewolf law), transgressors under his charge are literally beaten with this stick until they remember “the Law.”

He’s actually a “softie.” Most Litany infractions are punished with silver blades or death.

One of my few attempts at color work. Four characters from the “Mouseguard” RPG based on David Petersen’s graphic novels. My character is the black and white one, based on a mouse I actually used to have as a pet! :D Full detail might only be apparent if the image is opened full size (“open image in new tab”, etc.)

@biggabum Devious is the right word

These are what I think of when I hear your shenanigans:

First ten seconds of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG8CcW7UI3Q

No worries on the compliment :)

@oriskany That is some damn fine sketchwork art. Very thought-evoking in what they tell about the character and the type of situations they might get into.

As for the mice they are so cute.

@mage yup thats about right :-D Actually if you swap out leaving the report with finding out the wife has bought chocolate Hob Nobs thats me heading for the food cupboard :-D