Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Hobby Weekender: Welcome to the Hobbydome

Beasts of War Homepage

Shop for Blood and Plunder - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 38 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Hobby Weekender: Welcome to the Hobbydome (103 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image mage3997p said 6 days, 18 hours ago:

There must be some kind of way outta here
    Said the joker to the thief
    There’s too much confusion
    I can’t get no relief
    Business men, they drink my wine
    Plowman dig my earth
    None were level on the mind
    Nobody up at his word
    Hey, hey
    No reason to get excited
    The thief he kindly spoke
    There are many here among us
    Who feel that life is but a joke
    But, uh, but you and I, we’ve been through that
    And this is not our fate
    So let us stop talkin’ falsely now
    The hour’s getting late, hey
    All along the watchtower
    Princes kept the view
    While all the women came and went
    Barefoot servants, too
    Outside in the cold distance
    A wildcat did growl
    Two riders were approaching
    And the wind began to howl

Hey everyone,

Welcome to the Hobby Weekender, a place to kick up your feet, chill, chat and hobby to your hearts content. Assemble minis, prime, paint, convert, game and anything else to the hearts content.

First and foremost, make a pledge. It isn’t a target to be hit but we try and encourage each other. Post some pics of your progress and even if you do not finish there is more to next week.

Okay, so the rules. No politics or religion, whatsover (Scottish pub rules), be friendly to newcomers, don’t be a dick under any circumstances. This isn’t a test, it isn’t an elite club and it is a friendly place for anyone. Keep it politically correct and clean. There are kids on here and parents, and a lot of us who post in these threads are parents too. No need for being offensive for the sake of being offensive.

Post plenty of pics and your choice in music. No wuss rock or Paul Weller post The Jam.

This is a more submersive social interaction, so chat. But, no casual posts without participating. If you want to join in, go ahead, but please no trolling if you don’t like the idea or concept, it’s a real downer.

Of course the obligatory questions to stimulate conversation

(1) How do we all feel about the dentist?

(2) Are there any new or upcoming movies that you like the look of?

(3) Chinese or Indian food – why. Go into it.

(4) Share with us a comedian you like and a clean clip. There is a zero tolerance policy now, direct from management on here itself, so keep the clip clean if you decide to post it.

(5) Comic Books. Give us your thoughts. Im leaving this open ended as I have posted about comics and comic characters/movies before, but this is more to see what interesting little piece or thoughts someone might post if they have something really profound to say on the matter or a strong opinion they wish to express, or simply something neat to talk about.

All are welcome. Post away!

Please note that points will not be done for this. I think until some sort of community or pier based system or some sort of programming or app can be applied it is a bit of a headache, it is enough effort to run one of these as is.

Ill be posting my own answers soon but this is just to get the ball rolling. Time to do some house work. Can’t wait for some responses.

We should do a vote at the end to declare a ‘winner’.

• Avatar Image warzan8932p said 6 days, 18 hours ago:

Just a quick word of thanks from the team here to @mage for firing this up. Regardless of who fires up a hobby weekender, it has a bit of a tradition around here now, and that is down to all who have participated in it over the last couple of years.

I’m glad to see members who spend parts of their weekends reaching out to each other in support and good natured banter while plugging away at their projects rallying around to keep their little corner up and running :)

Both myself and @nakchak will be looking into some options over the next weeks and months of some cool ways we can help you guys run these ‘weekend hobby parties’, in the mean time we’ll try to give these threads a little extra push so other (and new) members can dip thier toes into the format.

Let’s just keep in mind that many don’t understand the format first time round so being as open and helpful as we can is sure to make them fall in love with the vibe, like so many have till now :)

Nice one @mage ;)

Got a gaming rumour?
    Then email me at warren@beastsofwar.com
    Anonymity Guaranteed.
  • Avatar Image richbuilds149p said 6 days, 17 hours ago:

This w/e I’ll be finishing off my windmill and writing up the build log for my blog.

I’ve also just got the Deadzone 2 starter set – so that’s me sorted for a while :-)

Also, I’ve been having a ponder about the upcoming hobby night live and quite fancy building something SAGA ish, even though I don’t play. I’m thinking along the lines of a blacksmith…

Check out my blog for more scale shenanigans! http://www.richbuillds.com
  • Avatar Image mage3997p said 6 days, 17 hours ago:

@warzan Your more than welcome. It would be a shame to have this nice little tradition that @unclejimmy started fade away. Interesting to see what might be in the pipeline with options.

It took me a while to get it to be fair but when you just immerse yourself and get into the flow it is good fun.

@richbuilds Can’t wait. Please post a link to your blog! :) Also this your first time on here? If so, welcome! If not, welcome back! 8)

Deadzone is a game that’s intriguing me. I like the fact there are three games set in Mantic’s scifi setting in different parts of their universe (like Dreadball).

I think Saga could be good, bit of a nordic throw back to the Space Wolves from the previous one, have it as a callback reference to it. Blacksmith? Go on… do tell more.

• Avatar Image thedace687p said 6 days, 17 hours ago:

Hey folks
    Thanks @mage for taking the reins

A pledge – To finish my Lord of Khorne that I started last week. I have his Fleshhound nearly complete now. Pictures will follow.

A necessary evil. Here’s a fun fact. Back in olden times it was a barber that used to do a dentists work and surgeons work for that matter. They used to hang the bloodied rags on a pole outside hence where the red and white barbers pole comes from.

Not so much a movie but Netflix have just announced that they are doing a Dark Crystal series!!!
    For you viewing pleasure

I love both for different reasons. You can’t beat a lovely Lamb Curry. But you also can’t beat Shredded Duck pancakes. But my absolute favourite is actually Thai. I love how the curries are nice and creamy.

(4) Share with us a comedian you like and a clean clip. There is a zero tolerance policy now, direct from management on here itself, so keep the clip clean if you decide to post it.
    Anyone remember “The Mary Whitehosue Experience” It has to be “History Today” from that.

(5) Comic Books. Give us your thoughts. Im leaving this open ended as I have posted about comics and comic characters/movies before, but this is more to see what interesting little piece or thoughts someone might post if they have something really profound to say on the matter or a strong opinion they wish to express, or simply something neat to talk about.

I’m not that into comic books but loved 2000AD and Judge Dread
    I also think that the punisher is a very cool character.

Music –
    Songs with cool videos

Happy gaming everyone.

@Thedace1 on twitter

@thedace You have some classics there. The Fatboy Slim one appeared as a suggestion on my youtube. Can’t wait to see the Lord. Im working on a Chaos Lord for Slaves to Darkness.

(1) That is disgusting. Those poor people back in such primitive times… Then again our decendants would say the same about us.

(2) Ah interesting. Anyone else see this?

(3) Coconut milk has a tendency to do that. Kudos for breaking the mould. Mold?

(4) Ill check the comedian when I get the chance. Have to tidy the house and collect the family from the airport.

(5) Have you seen Series 2 of Daredevil? You might like it.

My pledge:

(1) Do the white on the eyes and bone parchment colour of my Stormcast Eternals. Then take a break from them. Im starting to get bogged down with batch painting. Its becoming gruelling so Ill take a short break from them and then finish them one squad at a time.

(2) Finish my Slaves to Darkness Chaos Lord

(3) Work on my Forge Father Dreadball team.

Keeping this one short and sweet with work over the weekend, as well as my son and parents back from holidays and a new puppy arriving on Sunday. Should be a busy one.

• Avatar Image richbuilds149p said 6 days, 17 hours ago:

@mage My blogs at http://www.richbuilds.com

I’ve posted a couple of times on here (I got a shout and some lovely comments out on the last Hoby Night Live for my frostgrave terrain :-) )

Windmill as it currently stands:

Just minor touch ups to do and to get some decent photo’s (if the sun is shining :) )

• Avatar Image biggabum2111p said 6 days, 17 hours ago:

Sorry about being a bit quck with my replies but we have a visitor (my week old grandson) and i’m up next for a cuddle :-D (Assuming I can pry him out of Matty’s arms)

My pledge this week will be to play a game. not sure what yet, but still in the mug are Saga, Warmachine, Wild West Exodus, Dreadball and Bolt Action (First Edition as I haven’t got around to buying second ed yet). Will make the draw later.

On to the questions:

1) Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggghhhhhh,

2) Dunkirk looks interesting, and I haven’t seen Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yet.

3) Difficult one here. There is more variety with Chinese and i’m a devil for BBQ Spare Ribs but I do like a Chicken Madras too. I suppose I would have to go with Indian.

4) I dont think I have a favourite. If I had to pick one it would probably have to be early Jasper Carrot.

5) Mmmm I haven’t read a comicbook since the eighties, well not a modern one anyway. I used to have a pretty big Marvel collection back then. When I was collecting there were no computers or internet, and video games constisted of Pong and trying to shoot a white dot that bounced around the screen of the TV. I really enjoyed them, they were a good form of escapism.

• Avatar Image biggabum2111p said 6 days, 17 hours ago:

Oh and a massive thanks to @mage for running things this week,

• Avatar Image rayzryr401p said 6 days, 16 hours ago:

Ok so I’m going to join in this weekend. I think I’ve got the idea…

Pledge right?
    Base 1 x squad of Dark Angels.
    Put some more of my WoK Shael Han through the Army Painter dip.
    Coat those already done with Anti-shine varnish (weather permitting).
    Build some more Kingdom Death?

I’ll have my daughter with me this weekend, but my work “weekend” starts Saturday nights, ends Monday night. Back to work on Tuesday. We’ll see…

One day all the armies will be painted… one day.
  • Avatar Image voidifremoved62p said 6 days, 16 hours ago:

So this past week I managed to finish off my 20 year old jetbike that’s been unloved and ignored in a box, fulfilling my pledge.

The light quality is pretty poor, since my wife and the grot are asleep and I don’t want to turn the main lights on, but I’ll try to get a better picture tomorrow. I experimented a bit with washes and am reasonably happy with the results.

My dentists have all been pretty good, but admittedly I’ve only had the one filling needing to be done.

I’m cautiously optimistic about Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Thought the first one was an absolute blast.

Chinese more than Indian, mainly because Indian food generally turns my stomach into a death bag. It’s not even the spices or the heat of the food even. That said, good Thai food beats all of them. There’s a Thai place around the corner from my mum’s that does an incredible deep fried eggplant.

Bill Bailey!

I don’t really go in for superhero stuff, but I’ll generally devour anything written by Kieron Gillen or Warren Ellis. Phonogram (by Gillen) and Planetary (by Ellis) are pretty much my two favourite comics ever.

unnamed-11.jpg
    unnamed11.jpg
  • Avatar Image voidifremoved62p said 6 days, 16 hours ago:

Oh yeah, and this week I’ll finish my Inquisitor and get started on painting up the rest of my Gangs of Comorragh guys.

• Avatar Image mage3997p said 6 days, 16 hours ago:

@richbuilds Oh yeah you got a shout out for that awesome windmill. Derp! (Me making an idiont noise)

@biggabum Love the answer to question one. You have a connoisseurs’ assortment of games to play, enjoy your time with the grand daughter. Guardians 2 is great. Dunkirk? I better google it. So your answer is technically ‘both’ to the ChinIndian issue? As for comic books I think a lot DC stuff in recent years is pretty good. What particular ones did you like to read yourself?

Your welcome

@rayzyr Nice pledge! I hope you share some pics at some point, can’t wait to see! What age is your daughter? Split custody? I have my son til Sunday, he’s four in October.

@voidifremoved Im liking the Guardian on the jetbike. A particular craftworld? One filling, you lightweight haha. The second guardians movie is a very different story and how it is told along with structure. I liked and enjoyed it but it wasn’t as fresh as the first.

Death bag? Using it. Thai food seems to be the dark horse in this race.

Tell us more about those comics.