Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Hobby Weekender: Welcome to the Hobbydome

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Legends of Sleepy Hollow Kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 6 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Hobby Weekender: Welcome to the Hobbydome (105 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image rayzryr776p said 5 months ago:

1 The dentist? I “don’t go often enough” but every time I do, the guy looking down my throats says I have great teeth for a man of my age! One even told me “you have excellent teeth, God must love you”… I’m not sure about that, but ok…

2 I haven’t been to the movies much in the last 17 years, though I recently saw the new Guardians of the Galaxy. It was awesome.
    Though I hate myself for it, I still want to see the next Transformers movie. I keep hoping the next one will be better :-( *grumble grumble Michael Bay grumble ruined childhood grumble mumble*

3 Really? We have to choose? Probably Indian. The rich flavours, the smell of the spices and herbs… but I’m going to agree with @thedace Thai is delicious! Also spicy!

4 I can’t think of anything suitable right now… funny & family friendly… the best I can come up with is the Muppet Show. My daughter (10) just found out about these guys a few months ago and watching it back with her has been great :-)

5 Comic books I could possibly go on for a bit… I leant towards Marvel, but I collected Spawn back in the late 90′s. Did any one ever read Crimson or Stone?

One day all the armies will be painted… one day.
  • Avatar Image rayzryr776p said 5 months ago:

@voidifremoved Bill Bailey – of course! Good one!

@mage yep photos will come. Custody yet to be formalised… along with everything else.

• Avatar Image voidifremoved125p said 5 months ago:

@mage No particular Craftworld, but I wanted it to fit in with another Eldar figure I painted – dark blue armour with a bone helmet. Worth watching getting a babysitter to be able to see it cinemas, or would it be a wait till DVD type of deal?
    Funnily enough, it’s a phrase stolen from Warren Ellis’ “Gun Machine”.

The first Phonogram comic series deals with a “phonomancer” – someone who uses music to perform magic in various ways. The first series of comics is mostly focused around Britpop, the later ones are more varied. It’s sort of a vehicle to explore how we relate to music and how it can define us. That doesn’t quite do it justice, though.

Planetary is at a very base level an exploration of a lot of the 20th century pulp icons and the superhero genre, with proxies for Batman, Tarzan and a whole lot of others making an appearance. The Fantastic Four are in it in a way, but are… not nice. Once again, doesn’t quite do it justice – it also explores the concept of the multiverse, time travel (in a reasonably novel way) and Terrence McKenna’s machine elves get a mention.

• Avatar Image synthetik263p said 5 months ago:

(1) How do we all feel about the dentist?
    Shes a lovely person , spit and not too often

(2) Are there any new or upcoming movies that you like the look of?
    Have to say , I am looking forward to Wonder Woman.

(3) Chinese or Indian food – why. Go into it.
    Chinese , as much as I love a Korma , the sweet lovely taste of fried seaweed and sezchaun sauce keeps me coming back.

(4) Share with us a comedian you like and a clean clip.
    Slightly warned for bad langauge but I love Adam Hills

(5) Comic Books.
    60 quid a week/200 a month roughly , been collecting since 1990.
    I can remember going on a school trip just because it went to the British Museuam , and popping in to Gosh to pick up my comics , and my teacher sussing me out and trying to confiscte them.
    I think the look he got that day actually scared him , and he gave them back.

I do like Marvel Movies , I wish they would integrate DCTV and DC movies , but I understand why not.

Favourite all time comic , Death of Superman .

This weekend I am not hobbying as its my DD weekend , we are playing in a long time campaign , and its a dedicated Saturday for the Real Life , and then . sunday we play on Skype as we all have to get back to work.

Ask me one question and I will give you one answer.

gamer….lover…skint
    Plays Infinity , 7TV , SuperSystem, Gruntz , Pathfinder
    my Mecca…http://dropshiphorizon.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Avatar Image nakchak4123p said 5 months ago:

@mage nice one :)

Pledge is to write up and post a plog of sorts about my new hobby space, actual hobby is unlikely as both kids are ill as is the misses and myself.

Will answer questions later, the comics one is a tough one but watchmen, batman knightfall, killing joke or the crisis on infinite earths arc are some of my all time faves (i generally prefer DC over marvel when it comes to the physical thing…)

There is no ignominy, there is glory,
    There is no servitude, there is dominance,
    There is no defeat, there is victory… victory eternal!
  • Avatar Image biggabum2416p said 5 months ago:

@mage If I could have BBQ Spare Ribs and a Madras in the same resutaurant you’d never get me out of there… without a small crane and removing a wall.

Never really got into DC apart from the odd Batman. To me the characters seem a little to… well… super. With Marvel I found it easier to identify with some of the everyday problems they had.

One of my favourites was Nova, in fact when I sold my collection I kept my Nova run and still have it. Others were Captain America, Daredevil, Iron Man, X-men, Avengers and loads. Funnily enough I never really took to Spiderman.

Two of my favourite artists from the time were Gene Colan and John Byrne. I thought they were fantastic. Not so keen on the artwork nowadays (from what little ive seen),

• Avatar Image querion1323p said 5 months ago:

Hello everyone, and sorry that i missed last time, but it’s been a hell of a busy week for me, and since i didn’t even have the time to keep up with the thread posting was not an option either.

First thanks for taking over this week @mage.

I fear this time around i won’t have much of a pledge, tomorrow i’ll visit Japan Day in Düsseldorf, one of the biggest festivals about japanese culture in europe, only fitting since the city has one of the biggest japanese communitys in europe too. So it will be a day of eating, lots and lots of eating! And watching hundreds of cosplayers ranging from AWESOME! to WHY?. Watching martial arts displays, visiting a samurai camp. Well and just having a great time with some friends. I’ll try to take some pictures.

Sunday will be with the same friends, but this time watching wrestling and after that converting some of our RPG characters from one system to another, simpler one.

If i should manage to get some hobby time in during the following days i’ll try to work on some of my other 3 Malifaux-minis.

For music … well since i’m preparing for tomorrow i fear i’ll have to torment you with some japanese bands again ;P

and these will be live on the main stage tomorrow in the evening, after some more traditional stuff

and a some older songs i found thanks to some anime i watched:

I’m sorry for the torture ;P

On to the questions:
    (1) hate him, but a necessary evil, some more evil than others.

(2) As strange as it sounds but i’m looking forward to Wonder Woman … and in the past i thought they could never make a movie about her that could interest me. And i’m curious about Valerian, the movie to the french comic book series that i read as a child. Well and of course Blade Runner 2049 and Star Wars later this year.

(3) I like both of them. My favorite chinese dish is crispy chicken in mango-sauce. Indian, there is so much yummy stuff from there, currys, most of their chicken dishes and some more. But my favorite asian cuisine is – who owuld’Ve thought – japanese. And no not only sushi, there is so much more.

(4) my favorite comedian is an old german one: Otto Walkes, or just short Otto. But i fear there won’t be any clips from him that you could understand without knowing german.

(5) comics … well i’m a big fan of comics, from simple superhero comics to old classics (at least over here) in the form of Lucky Luke or Asterix. And so much more. Comics is such a gigantic field and topic. Two of my favorites are Die Sturmtruppen/The Stormtroopers, an old comic series about the second world war with lots and lots of black humor. I posted some covers of them in a past hobby weekender. And Trolls of Troy a french series set in a fantasy world. And here the evil, human eating Trolls are the main characters and stars. And once more a lot of black humor, but a comic book that i can’t recomend enough.

@richbuilds that windmill is just amazing!
    @voidifremoved that jetbike is .. well … just wow! absolutly great effect you achieved there!

• Avatar Image gorillawithabrush548p said 5 months ago:

@mage – Thanks for stepping up this week!

@thedace – I remember the first time I saw that Fatboy Slim video with Walken. It was actually included in a short film festival I attended. Holy cow – I thought it was maybe the most genius thing ever. Still one of my all-time favorite things.

@richbuilds – I continue to be super impressed by your windmill. I have never gotten much into the terrain and huge decorative bases side of the hobby. It’s something I want to pursue more, and this is very inspiring.

@nakchak – Sorry to hear you and the family aren’t feeling well. Looking forward to the plog!

My pledge: I continue to try to finish as many things as I can for the NOVA Open Charity Auction later this year. I have three models done, and number four and five are on my painting desk. I’ve made some progress on the orc but have yet to start on the Bombardier Bombshell. My goal is to get 10 models done by July 4th (the submission deadline), but I have a feeling I will probably max out at around 8 just because of the limited painting time I have. The Troll, Gandalf, and Harry the Hat I finished are all being donated.

The finished models are here (except their bases, which I still need to do): http://www.beastsofwar.com/groups/painting/forum/topic/nova-open-charity-auction-models-a-plog/

Also, this is not part of a formal pledge, but I just got this beauty in the mail and I’m super excited. I have no idea when I’ll get around to painting it, but I’m looking forward to it.

On to the questions!

1. How do I feel about the dentist? A part of keeping oneself healthy I suppose. I take pretty good care of my teeth and go annually, so it’s usually a very short cleaning. No big deal. But I certainly don’t want that job.

2. Movies… It’s odd. I recall back around 2000 when I first heard that they were doing Lord of the Rings, and I was super excited. Like vibrating with excitement. I watched the initial teaser trailer with the early CGI and interviews 100 times. I watched Fellowship three times in the theaters during the first week. I honestly can’t remember getting excited over any movie release since then. Nowadays I just wait for movies to be released on DVD and rent them from the local Redbox for $2. I don’t even pay attention to what’s coming out anymore, although I do enjoy movies quite a bit when I rent them. I can’t pinpoint exactly why my feelings have changed as I’ve gotten older, but I think it’s a mixture of the expense of going to the theaters coupled with having to deal with rude audiences talking and checking their phones during the film. I’d rather just watch at home on my big screen with a cold beer in my pajamas.

3. Chinese, because I’ve never had Indian food really. I grew up in a smallish city in the Midwest USA where the food groups are meatloaf, potatoes, gravy, and dairy. I wasn’t exposed to a lot of variety growing up, and it’s made me a little unadventurous as an adult. My favorites are dishes with orange in the sauce – Orange Peel Beef, Orange Chicken, etc.

4. This is may be my favorite bit of all time…

5. I have gotten way more into comics as an adult than I ever was as a kid. The form has really been elevated in recent decades, and I think that owes a lot to the genius of Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman. Sandman, Watchmen, and Hellboy are my favorites by far.

I’m feeling a few Peter Gabriel classics today, even though they are a bit wussy on the rock scale perhaps. ;)

And then maybe something you’ve never heard but should…one of my favorite artists.

Interested in following my painting progress? I post WIP pictures after each painting session and am happy to chat about the hobby any time. Facebook: @GorillaPainter; Twitter: @GorillaBrush; Website: http://www.gorillawithabrush.com
  • Avatar Image irredeemable1349p said 5 months ago:

Long time co-worker finished up today so I’ve to head out into the real world in a while for drinks.

If I get back at a reasonable hour I’ll chuck up a proper post. Cheers to @mage for stepping up as Master of Ceremonies this week.

Now I need to go and dress myself as an adult.

• Avatar Image nakchak4123p said 5 months ago:

@irredeemable i now have the mental image that you live in a onesie and only under extreme circumstances do you don “proper clothes”, says the guy who still wears band t shirts and jeans/cutoffs for everything

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman5021p said 5 months ago:

@mage said:
    1) How do we all feel about the dentist?

I’m not scared of the dentist, only the dentist’s bill

@mage said:

Yes. Whiskey Galore looks quite funny and a Birmingham cinema were offering a “taste along” to the opening screening. I don’t live in Birmingham so was a bit gutted really. I might wait until it’s on DVD and then do my own taste along at home, I’ll let you know how that gets on.

Also looking forward to Bladerunner 2049. I think it looks very good although I have some concerns that it’s going to lose it’s origal Noir feel and although it will be a sequel will lack the same soul that the original had

@mage said:

Indian food. I just prefer the bolder flavours and spices in use. Also, I find that the difference in quality between chinese takeaway and restaurant is much higher than that between a decent Indian takeaway and restaurant. Chinese restaurants are usually very nice, the takeaways not so much.

Also, if anyone wants a “happy medium” or middle ground, go for Thai ;)

@mage said:
    (4) Share with us a comedian you like and a clean clip. There is a zero tolerance policy now, direct from management on here itself, so keep the clip clean if you decide to post it.

There’s a little bit of bad language (because let’s face it, it’s hard to find good comedy without any) but it’s not too overt but more importantly, the subject matter isn’t particularly offensive.

@mage said:
    (5) Comic Books. Give us your thoughts. Im leaving this open ended as I have posted about comics and comic characters/movies before, but this is more to see what interesting little piece or thoughts someone might post if they have something really profound to say on the matter or a strong opinion they wish to express, or simply something neat to talk about.

They’re not my thing mostly because the majority of them are about superheroes and, well, let’s just say I don’t like superheroes and leave it there. I don’t have anything against the actual format of them and, aside from superhero worship, I don’t really judge anyone who reads them.

I won’t pledge anything for the weekend as my wife and baby are coming home from hospital tomorrow or, if they don’t, I will be spending a lot of time there with them. But I am currently working on a Shadow Wars: Armageddon kill team for a painting competition on the 12th of June so hopefully I will be able to get a couple more of them done. I have painted two already, one I painted ages ago, the other last night watching Zulu.

I’m also working on a project for a friend who say the Fay Enchantress model on ebay, bought it and asked me to paint it. Ultimately it’s destiny is to end up as a desk ornament on her desk so I am taking the opportunity to practice scenic bases, something I am really starting to enjoy (which doesn’t bode well for the speed at which I paint, which is already chronically slow at times!)

20170519_233023.jpg
    20170519_2301151.jpg
  • Avatar Image richbuilds365p said 5 months ago:

Got my windmill finished tonight. Here’s a few bench shots but I’ll post some daylight shots and links to the build log tomorrow. A fun build of an excellent mdf kit. Some bits worked, some bits didn’t but overall I’m very happy with it. Now, all I need is some frankenstein figures :-)

Deadzone scenery next. My first go at sci-fi! :-o

Check out my blog for more scale shenanigans! http://www.richbuilds.com
  • Avatar Image richbuilds365p said 5 months ago:

@querion Thanks :-)

@gorillawithabrush If I’ve inspired you to build stuff thats awesome! I’ve been inspired by some many builders, that means a great deal to me. Thanks!

• Avatar Image mage5084p said 5 months ago:

Ok so I went a long while without posting, not cool as the host. The day got ahead of me with picking up my son & parents from the airport, tidying the house, playing with my son, putting him to bed, going for a jog/walk with a friend (my toe held up well, skipped martial arts tonight. My toe could manage a walk and jog but not full contact kicking drills on heavy bags and pads) and getting food with a different friend.

Did some hobby when I got back while the rest of the house slep in silence. Very therapeutic. Nearly have my Chaos Lord finished. Off to bed soon now. I have training in the morning and a few hours with my son before he goes home. I thought I had a 12 hour day 8am to 8pm tomorrow and a night shift Sunday but it is actually a night shift Sunday that I have.

@rayzyr You could be worse and have some yelllow rubbish teeth.

I cant find the family guy clip but you get the idea. I want to see the next Transformers as well to be honest, didn’t bother with the last one because the one before it was meh. Alien Covenant is definetley on the cards.

Cant say I read Crimson or Stone. If you like MacFarlane check out ‘Haunt’, something a little different.

@voidifremoved There might not be DVDs around by the time its due to release, anymore. I think any Marvel movie is worth seeing on the big screen.

That sounds like a pretty cool and immersive comic that makes a social/cultural commentary.

Planetary sounds great. I like something that spins the superhero genre on its head and takes it only in a slightly different direction with what it does and paints a very different picture and final story with only some small changed. I need to get it.

@synthetik I am also looking forward to it. I hope it is the shot in the arm the DCEU needs. SZECHUAN SAUCE??!!!?!?!?!

D&D? Good stuff! Glad to have some more comic fans on here. Im loving the New52 DC material and beyond. I need to get those Batman/Flash Watchmen investigation thing. I need more Suicide Squad and Redhood & the Outlaws.

@nakchak I like it! Crisis, Killing Joke and Knightfall are all things on my ‘to get list’.

@biggabum I like reading your thoughts on comics

@querion Please take pictures for me I mean us and post them. Treat yourself to some sushi.

Hobby what you can. Ah cool is that Baby Metal?

Valerian and Bladerunner are on my radar too.

Sushi, Tempura, Curry, Ramen, Udon. Reminds me of an odd woman I chatted with on a dating app, oddly enough…

Someone described Otto to me once, I think, I vaguely remember. He’s like the only half decent German Comedian you could compare to one of the international greats?

I recall the comic.

All this talk reminds me of when I was in the comic district of Paris. Man if I appreciated them the same way then as I do now… Some day Ill be there again.

@gorillawithabrush Sweet Orc!

Okay guys this is as far as I am going before I say goodnight and behave yourselves lol. Training in the morning and then time with my son before he goes home but I gotta sleep.

One last thought I will leave you with: Spiderverse. This is a comic where the different Spider men/women/noun across all of Marvels dimensions, timelines, multiverse – whatever the heck you want to call it, all start getting killed off by a mysterious force. So, the survivors band together to investigate and put an end to whats happening. Miles Morales from Ultimate Spiderman, Spider Gwen from a reality where Gwen was bitten and not Peder who also died, a futuristic Spidrman, Spider ham, and the main Spiderman as well as few others feature in this.

My idea is for Marvel to do a spiderverse movie. Imagine the new guy, Tom Holland, from Captain America Civil War and the upcoming Spiderman: Homecoming, teaming up with other Spidernouns, including Toby McGuire from the original films as well as Andrew Garfield from the Amazing Spiderman movies? It has mind blowing potential!

Night yall.

PS @onlyonepinman Wife and baby coming home from hospital? New arrival? Congratulations?

• Avatar Image caladors4611p said 5 months ago:

Well, I have been away for awhile, a change is like a holiday right, speaking of change I got to change, change back! I was posting quite a bit back a little while back. So the questions.

(1) How do we all feel about the dentist?

Well after gave me anaesthetic, so he could inject deeper to give more anaesthetic and then chisel into my jaw, my thoughts on them were less than generous, but like all doctors, they are trying to make you better.

But that is not a recommended experience. Most pain I have ever been in, someone chiselling into a part of your skull not recommended!

I look forward to every Marvel movie coming out because it seems that even the bad ones are pretty decent. I was super happy with Guardians of the Galaxy, so I hope that the next movie that is coming up will be just as good :D

Yes.

I like food, which would explain why I need to get back to exercising ha ha :P

(4) Share with us a comedian you like and a clean clip. There is a zero tolerance policy now, direct from management on here itself, so keep the clip clean if you decide to post it.

:/ I will have to get back you on that one.

(5) Comic Books. Give us your thoughts. Im leaving this open ended as I have posted about comics and comic characters/movies before, but this is more to see what interesting little piece or thoughts someone might post if they have something really profound to say on the matter or a strong opinion they wish to express, or simply something neat to talk about.

:/ I did not think this out. I am about to be off to a trip to the state captial, so I thought I would come in and answer the questions unfortunately for me I am a verbose guy so
    I will come back to these with proper answers!

As for pledges!

1. Getting back to actually painting!
    I am going to finish off the miniature I am currently working on a converted sister of silence so that she is just a classic medieval knight.

2. Getting back to doing videos (A weekly WAYPN)
    Not doing videos has been a bit freeing they take a lot of effort to do especially since I can’t upload them at home but like @mage said not responding is being a bit of a bad host and since I started up a new WAYPN I really should get back to it

3. Actually answering those questions properly.
    Chinese Indian one stands though, I love both, which one is better only depends on mood and who I am with.

Alright everyone Keep those Brushes wet :D
    CYA