Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Hobby Weekender – Whats with these homies dissin’ my girl? 12/01/18

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Nemesis Board Game kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 11 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Hobby Weekender – Whats with these homies dissin’ my girl? 12/01/18 (52 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image mage5676p said 6 days ago:

What’s with these homies, dissing my girl?
    Why do they gotta front?
    What did we ever do to these guys
    That made them so violent?
    Woo-hoo, but you know I’m yours
    Woo-hoo, and I know you’re mine
    Woo-hoo, and that’s for all time

Oo-ee-oo I look just like Buddy Holly
    Oh-oh, and you’re Mary Tyler Moore
    I don’t care what they say about us anyway
    I don’t care bout that

Don’t you ever fear, I’m always near
    I know that you need help
    Your tongue is twisted, your eyes are slit
    You need a guardian
    Woo-hoo, and you know I’m yours
    Woo-hoo, and I know you’re mine
    Woo-hoo, and that’s for all time

I don’t care bout that
    I don’t care bout that

Bang, bang a knock on the door
    Another big bang and you’re down on the floor
    Oh no! What do we do?
    Don’t look now but I lost my shoe
    I can’t run and I can’t kick
    What’s a matter babe are you feeling sick?
    what’s a matter, what’s a matter, what’s a matter you?
    What’s a matter babe, are you feeling blue? oh-oh!
    And that’s for all time
    And that’s for all time

I don’t care bout that
    I don’t care bout that
    I don’t care bout that
    I don’t care bout that

So, the founder of this thread has been gone some time, sadly, most likely never to come back. As an homage I am copying and pasting one of his thread starters from the past:

Friday is here again. Time to forget all your troubles and get be creative…therapy time!

Read everything before you join in so you have no excuses. Read all the other posts and reply to questions and other stupidity. Last chance. More interaction when you are doing stuff and have time to take part.

If you get to the end of this and it is not for you then please don’t make any solo posts.

Pledge! Anything gaming related will do: paint, stick stuff, roll dice, or do it all. Evidence required. It is not a race or a competition so just go with it. Remember, happiness is the road.

You are also asked some questions. From the sublime to the ridiculous. Mainly the latter, but it gets the conversation started and we can all get to know each other a bit better. It’s good for the soul too. This is not intended to be just another anonymous forum thread, but a bit more.

It is expected that your fiddling is accompanied by only the best selection of sounds possible. No wuss-rock, Paul Weller, Muse, or other bed-wetters. No headphones unless you are @nakchak – and turn it up a bit. Write us a playlist or make some suggestions we might not have heard or just forgotten about. How about a good gig story?

We do use Glasgow pub rules: no religion, no politics. If you can make a better point then feel free, but don’t take the piss.

The one immutable rule here is this – NO DICKS. Firms.

There is no tolerance for the word ‘basically’ or political mind control. A joke is just that, but remember that you are expected to conduct yourself like a gentleman while here. If it makes you laugh then it is good for you.

While you are here feel free to whine, boast, brag, or do a show-and-tell. That is what this is for.

Once more over the top, boys…

Questions:

(1) Have you been afflicted by sickness this winter?

(2) In general how do you deal with being sick?
    (3) What do you like to eat that is counter productive when you are sick?

(4) What, if anything do you watch in the background when you hobby?

(5) What was the most recent book you read? Tell us about it.

• Avatar Image evilstu761p said 5 days, 22 hours ago:

Hey @mage thanks for hosting this week.

Ah Weezer, the band that single-handedly made being a geek cool way before it was cool. Hrm, is that even a sentence? I call grammatical shenanigans. Oh well…

Questions:

1. Its Summer here but I’m up and running on 2 1/4 hours sleep due to the combination of a coughing fit and trying not to wake the girlfriend. So I’m going to say yes, and thank you to all my northern hemisphere colleagues for the company at this time. (and of course @caladors the eternally vigilant who never sleeps…).

2. Poorly. I’m not a very good patient. I get bored after about 18 hours of being unwell. Needless to say if it’s one of those ‘out of action for 4 days’ type of affairs I’m climbing the walls. I just try and sit and watch DVDs usually as I don’t have the brainspace required for reading or hobbying when unwell.

3. Tried and true recovery method is massive quantities of garlic in cooking. Which is completely different to the massive amounts of garlic I’m prone to use in cooking on a regular basis- mainly as I have a justification…

4. I usually have Weekenders or any of the BoW video content for the week on when doing hobby. If I power through all of that then I will switch over to the ‘Communion After Dark’ show on Youtube for awesome new release tunes (EBM, gothic, darkwave etc) or watch batreps on youtube. Documentaries are also good – historical or science preferable, not as much with the natural history as the scenery distracts me from my hobby project.

5. Not really hobby related, but ‘The Grade Cricketer’:
    https://www.bookdepository.com/The-Grade-Cricketer-Dave-Edwards-Sam-Parry-Ian-Higgins/9781922129819?ref=grid-view&qid=1515769406009&sr=1-1
    It’s a darkly humorous (ok its really dark at points…) book about a guy who plays Grade cricket every Saturday during the season, the impact it has on his life and those around him. Bleak and yet positive, tragic and humorous it was a pretty good read. And while the characters were obviously exaggerated, you see elements of them reflected in people you know.

Pledge this weekend will be to progress/finalise my Stoic Arms Inn up to the signage and interior detailing stage, and get stuck into some Afterlife minis.

Tunes:

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman5326p said 5 days, 15 hours ago:

Hey folk! Started last week and finished this evening.

There’s a few more things that need doing but they’re a job for the future. It is now functional, like the Deathstar in Return of the Jedi, I just hope some cnut doesn’t crash a Super Star Destroyer into it. The list of things to includes:

Add a means of connecting the modules together (I’m thinking a combination of magnets and clamps)
    Varnish/stain the wood
    Line the dice trays and playing surface, possibly with some kind of material (Baize or Felt perhaps).

Then it will be finished but as you can see below, it is totally usable.

To answer one of the 4 questions, yes I have been ill this winter. I came down with a cold on boxing day, it developed into flu and a chest infection. I still have a cheat infection and cold symptoms despite having a course of antibiotics. I was getting better back end of last week and returned to work on Tuesday. I went downhill quite significantly last night and now I am really suffering again. So probably have to go see the quack on Monday

received_174394043332801.jpeg
    received_161109217848934.jpeg
    received_2011884409056236.jpeg
  • Avatar Image limburger1957p said 5 days, 15 hours ago:

Is everyone still asleep ? ;-)

(1) Have you been afflicted by sickness this winter?
    not really. I don’t call a single day of misery being ‘sick’, because it pales in comparison to what other people have to endure.

(2) In general how do you deal with being sick?
    lots of sleep

(3) What do you like to eat that is counter productive when you are sick?
    If I’m sick I’m usually too busy feeling miserable to want to eat anything.
    Heck, I sort of crave fruit for some reason. So in theory that ought to be good.

(4) What, if anything do you watch in the background when you hobby?
    I can’t watch anything and do stuff.

(5) What was the most recent book you read? Tell us about it.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman
    It’s the translated Dutch version, but for some reason they chose not to translate the F-word which is really odd.

I’m only at the first chapter and stuff happens that definitely makes this a M-rated novel. I heard that they’re doing this as a tv series, but I doubt they’re showing the bit that happened. I’m not going to watch that series, because such things rarely translate to the big screen.

//
    It’s looking like this is another busy month of kickstarter goodness.
    I had a mystery package arrive and before I could open it I also got a notification telling me that my Sherman Leader kickstarter pledge would be heading my way.
    Guess what was in that big old package ?
    yep …

I really wish those tracking mails included size and weight of the package, because I can barely feel my arms *grin*

festina lente cauta fac omnia mente
    img_20180112_233105.jpg
  • Avatar Image mage5676p said 5 days, 14 hours ago:

@onlyonepinman

That link ain’t working.

Super star destroyer? Don’t want to post a link to something a tad controversial. Just go onto youtube and type ‘Darth Vader Unexpected Jihad’

20 for the pledge. Sounds technical and craftsman…ey.

15 points for each picture. Dreadfleet and Star Wars stuff?

There’s a bad cold going around. Even here. Chest is fine but my sinuses have been screwed on and off for a while. 10 points.

Running total: 60 points.

@limburger

Not me! Just not online. Hm.

1 > Go find someone and play a game of ookymouth (Southpark reference).. 1 point!!!
    2 > 5 points. Come on man, longer more detailed answers!
    3 > That is your body crying out for what it needs and to cleanse you. 10 points
    4 > 3 points. Why?
    5 > That is… odd. 5 points. Sounds like I better read that.

Man, haha, I cannot afford kickstarter anymore. I have a few to arrive during the year and got a few last year. 10 points for your KS pics.

Is that your pledge for the weekend?

@evilstu

First post is 20 points.

Weezer truly were shining paragons. It is a sentence, albeit horrifically phrases, haha. Just joshing you. Was that a sentence?

1 > Touche @evilstu . Coughing fit? Ouch. Dangerous circle there with lack of sleep. 5 pts.
    2 > You could youtube some videos about gaming or nerd culture. Or audio drama. 5 pts.
    3 > Garlic, that’s more like it. 10 points! Onions can do it too.
    4 > I save weekenders for night shifts. I do boxed set comedies. Half hour chunks. Awlays sunny, brooklyn nine nine, community, arrested development, etc. 10 points. Any good ones youd recommend? Documentaries kinda bore me.
    5 > Books don’t have to be hobby for the purposes of this question. I CANNOT STAND CRICKET. In all honesty the book sounds fascinating from your description. 15 points.

Pledge is 10 points.

Metallica 10 points.

Ill check out the other music later. Really getting into my hobby.

Running total: 85 points.

Questions:

(1) Have you been afflicted by sickness this winter? – Yes. Sinuses are a mofo. Had a 24 hour bug that was hell. Well it was more three days. Sucked. Sinuses back and forth but think I am through the worst of it now.

(2) In general how do you deal with being sick? – I rest, take time off work, drink more water, don’t eat sugar or salt if I can help it. I hate it. I just let my system detox.

(3) What do you like to eat that is counter productive when you are sick? – Pizza loadd with peperroni, cheese, donner kebab meat and jalapenos. Doesent help.

(4) What, if anything do you watch in the background when you hobby? – Comedy boxed sets as outlined above.

(5) What was the most recent book you read? Tell us about it. – Dark Imperium by Guy Haley. A 40k novel Awesome bits in it, but not perfect either.

Pledge:

Okay so my own pledge (working on but not necessarily finishing them):

(1) 10x Dark Elf Crossbowmen
    (2) Dark Elf characters (2x Black Ark Fleesmasters, 1x Sorceress)
    (3) Arcworlde Trollhunter
    (4) Frostlord (rides a Stonehorn)
    (5) Basecoat some Freeguild (old WHFB Empire) models
    (6) Skin on Dark Elf Corsairs x50
    (7) Rebase and prime models
    (8) Order bases to rebase some Empire and Orcs and Goblins

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman5326p said 5 days, 13 hours ago:

@mage fixed the link.

We set up dreadfleet because that’s the first time we have had access to a play area big enough for the mat! The other table is just a sort of generic sci fi board although it is definitely inspired by mos eisley

Given how I feel right now I seriously doubt I could realistically commit to any kind of pledge. I don’t even know if I will be able to sleep yet, I didn’t last night and have been paying for it all day :(

• Avatar Image mage5676p said 5 days, 13 hours ago:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

• Avatar Image limburger1957p said 5 days, 13 hours ago:

@mage :
    I am no woman and us men can’t multitask, that’s why so :-p
    So I either watch stuff like the weekender or do something.

It’s a very weird book. I think it’s urban fantasy or something.
    Weird stuff happens.
    There’s this scene where a man goes to a *ahem* someone of the oldest profession in the world and she *eh* swallows him whole.
    And that’s just at the start of the book.
    I don’t even know what happens afterwards, but it can only get more weird.
    I haven’t had time to read more.

I promised myself I’d go shopping for a new costume for carnival ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival#Netherlands ) or ‘vasteloavend’ as we call it at home ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limburgish_language ). I’m not sure if I’m buying anything.

And of course I’ve got my pledge to unpack.
    The rules are very minimal (I’d say about ten pages max, including an example game), so with a bit of luck I can get a game in.
    Both Sherman leader and Tiger leader look very similar, which makes sense.
    If I get that far I’ll try and post a battle report, but I can’t promise anything yet.

• Avatar Image mage5676p said 5 days, 13 hours ago:

@onlyonepinman Cool ill check that out

@limburger I will give that post a proper reply tomorrow while I sneak in some brief hobby before bed

• Avatar Image evilstu761p said 5 days, 9 hours ago:

@onlyonepinman congrats on getting the table to a useable state in such a short period of time – that’s awesome work :)

@limburger have heard of that book – can’t remember where or in what context through which I guess doesn’t really help… I would have thought by now your arms would be bigger than my legs from all the postage you have had to haul in recent weeks :-P

@mage a break from basing? Probably good for sanity and all :)

Well OK, have had the flu and a couple of nights in a row where I’ve had less than 2 and a half hours sleep so my brain is doing interesting things. Specifically at the moment I am seeing imaginary dark spots at the periphery of my vision (perfectly normal for me when I’m sleep deprived…). Now, when I see a dark spot in the corner of my eye, on a wall or the ceiling or the floor or somewhere it generally should not be, my brain takes that information and makes the rational conclusion that the small dark spot stuck to the wall or wherever must be a spider. Living in Australia, as you can imagine, this means hilarity ensues. Of the 2 dozen or so spiders my brain has registered for me today only three have proven to be real – just enough to keep me on my toes :-P Needless to say, with my vision playing games I have not been wanting to do anything overly detailed on the hobby front (or drive a car or operate heavy machinery or power tools, just in case anyone was concerned…). Have gotten a little done today though…

Stoic Arms – just needs chimneys glued on, windows affixed and a bit of a touch up paint-wise here and there. Will consider the interior later.

Also assembled a squad of Afterlife minis from Anvil games, pried and gave then a quick wash so I could see the detail. These things are unbelievably gorgeous – I can’t wait to get stuck in and start painting. Also speed-painted what I think might have been my first Space Marine. Toying with the idea of kicking off a 40K project so wanted to see how the colour scheme I had in mind might look. this poor old mini already had a few coats of paint on him before I re-primed over the top using a chrome craft spray, so it’s a bit unfair to contrast the detail on the minis. he is handy for a size comparison though…

img_1299a.jpg
    img_1300a.jpg
    img_1301a.jpg
    img_1303a.jpg
  • Avatar Image biggabum2574p said 5 days, 7 hours ago:

Just dropping by to thank @mage for running this weekends errrm weekender and to apologise for not being able to better support it this week. Unfortunately the wife has come down with the Flu (suspected Japanese, which is wierd coz she’s Irish) , so hobby time is limited to opening boxes, saying “cool” a lot and putting said boxes in the to do pile. Damned inconsiderate of her really as I had made a start on Chris’s Enlightened for WWX.

I will try to pop in though and see what you guys are up to, and comment if time allows.

@onlyonepinman Gorgeous table mate, especially considering the time it took you and the fact you are ill too. I tip my hat to you Sir (well I would if I had one :-D ).

@limburger another nice haul… and another I’m going to have to have a look at myself.

@mage Great WIP shots mate… and a great pledge too. Looking forward to a WIP pic of the Corsairs (50 is some going).

@evilstu Stoic Arms looks great Sir. I would have made a start on my own 4ground stuff this weekend but with Chris’ stuff arriving and the wife being poorly its had to go on the back burner for a couple of weeks.

On to the questions:

1) Errrm yes but not mine :-D

2) I am terrible when i’m ill. I dont get the chance to rest and recuperate and still have to do everything I do when I’m well, so I tend to get very snappy with everybody and make sure they know how much i’m suffering. I have Heart Surgery coming up next month and Matty is already trying to make arrangements to go live with his nan for a few weeks.

3) I dont actually eat when I’m ill, apart from the occasional Cup a Soup and maybe a slice of toast here and there, but when I feel better, for some reason, I always crave a Full English Breakfast (and it aint a small one either :-D ).

4) Nothing. I have to fully concentrate on what I’m doing (even then I make a shed load of cock ups).

5) Actually currently reading Origin by Dan Brown. Its Ok but not far enough into it yet to really know whats going on.

• Avatar Image onlyonepinman5326p said 5 days, 6 hours ago:

@biggabum you don’t have a hat? You should remedy that sir, forthwith! I rarely go anywhere without my trusty flat cap. But we’re really pleased with the table.

Also illness update. I have gotten worse and have to go to the doctors at 8:00 this morning :( so it’s not looking like there’s going to be much hobby this weekend