Beasts of War | Groups | Hobby & Painting Town Square | Forum | Hutchs hobby blog thingy

Beasts of War Homepage

Support the Legends of Sleepy Hollow Kickstarter - Click Here

Group Admins

Hobby & Painting Town Square

Public Group active 2 hours, 4 minutes ago

This group is all about sharing great pics of beautiful models and other cool hobby stuff.

Why not show of your latest tip, trick or colour scheme and lets all get inspired.

Common post tags:
(Please use when creating topics.)
Hobby, Painting, Terrain, Community Project, Community Feedback, Community Challenge, *Gamename

*Please refer to the game or company

Hutchs hobby blog thingy (24 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image hutch76p said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hello all,

I’ve been a long time watcher of the Beasts of War videos but am new to the forum.
    I just wanted to take the opportunity to say there is some really great stuff on these forums and a lot of inspiration to draw from.

I tend to have my fingers in many ‘Hobby Pies’ and am hoping that if I attempt to keep some kind of forum post it may keep me both motivated and inspired.

I have also just recently started to do a Blog which can be found at http://www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au should you feel so inclined to take a better look at what I have been doing.

In the meantime I just wanted to post a little hello and a picture to get things started.

Just a little Victorian Science Fiction.

I’m not sure if I posted the picture correctly or not. If not, please let me know.

dsc_00562.jpg
  • Avatar Image nakchak4122p said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

welcome :)

nice steampunk stuff, if you click the insert into editor link by the uploaded image it will display in your post

There is no ignominy, there is glory,
    There is no servitude, there is dominance,
    There is no defeat, there is victory… victory eternal!
  • Avatar Image zombieking663p said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

welcome @hutch !

those victorian sci-fi robots (automata?) are crazy looking models! love them. look forward to seeing you post more :)

brainzzz or GTFO!

Thanks folks, and thanks nakchak for helping me with posting the image correctly.

• Avatar Image avernos1257p said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Lovely stuff. Have you seen the perry’s new zulu wars infantry. They come with the home guard helmets so great for some victoriana steam punk.
    Welcome to the forums looking forward to seeing more of your work

Thanks again.

The Perry miniatures new Zulu range do look interesting and I can just imagine some of them painted up as Home Guard.

The Battle of Sandrigham

Captain Blashford – Robbins tugged at his collar to relieve the heat as he watched the Queen climb the gantry for the official ship naming ceremony. It was late in the day due to delays which had been beyond his control but which he knew he’d be blamed for by his superiors. As long as Queen Victoria wanted to stay in the inn swapping tall tales with her highland officers and that annoying Lady Marmalade there was little he could do about it. Overall though he couldn’t be too dissapointed . Although the Queen had not initially been too amused by the rather unsteady gait of the new army walking artillery platform ‘HMMS Gladiator’, she had been excited to use it to chase grouse across her estate. It had been quite a sight to see the ageing monarch who needed help to keep upright suddenly start belting away with her shotgun at anything that moved, including at one stage a game warden from the RSPB reserve. The test range forgotten, the mechanical terror had waded tidal inlets, crossed salt marshes and at one point crashed a party of the local WI. Once the smelling salts had been passed around the good ladies were more than happy to pass cakes and scones up to the thankful naval brigade who scoffed them at the insistence of the Queen who scolded Admiral Standish for being too ‘po faced’. The captain smiled at the memory of the admirals expression.
    It was vitally important for certain members of the cabinet to get the Queen’s approval for the new war initiative which was being funded by the 23rd war bond. As usual the job of pleasing the Queen had been given to the officer lowest in the food chain.. Him. The artillery trials had gone well except for the first round which had overshot. Really there was no way of knowing that the pig farm was there. Correction..that it once had been there. At least the good citizens of Lower Titchwell would be eating chops for a good few weeks to come. And the Queen had been impressed by the pintle mounted gatling guns, though he’d not heard of them being used for rabbit hunting before.

Standing on the fore-deck of HMMS Gladiator, the captain was aware even above the din of the crowd which had gathered on the royal-estate of a growing squeaking sound. He’d put it down to another infernal component in this machine, but the noise was getting louder. No time to look about though as the Queen had reached the top of the gantry. The crowd shushed into silence and a hundred pairs of eyes watched as the queen took hold of the lever which would drop the bottle onto the front deck of the ship. Something fell behind the captain and clattered to the ground but he dared not look away.
    The Queen had managed to gather some composure now and look slightly more regal, despite the bunting which had somehow got snagged on her foot and which no one had had the bravery to tell her she was dragging around.
    “God Bless this ship and all who shail in her”
    Oh God, how many had she had..and some of those highlanders didn’t look much better..
    CLUNK the lever was pulled. The bottle released…and …exploded in midair.
    The captain turned, wiping champagne from his face while several thoughts buzzed through his head. In roughly this order he thought: “that’s not supposed to happen…why is there a large Prussian tank on the other side of the millstream …why is midshipman Phelps unconscious behind me…why do they always use such cheap champagne for these things?”

And so began the infamous battle of Sandringham.

Will Queen Victoria be snatched by the ruthless Prussian special forces? Will someone tell the Queen about the bunting she is dragging around on her boot? Will someone get the highlanders out of the pub in time? Were the WI scones really poisoned? If a tree falls in a forest and no-one is there, can we assume it has been caused by an ageing British monarch with a Gatling gun? Can somebody please get me an aspirin?

These questions and more probably will not be answered fully as the battle unfolds.

https://unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au/2017/07/vsf-battle-of-sandrigham.html

august17.jpg
    1157.jpg
    542.jpg

I was asked if I could have a go at building a Motte and Bailey, so thought it would be fun to give it a go.

https://unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au/2017/07/building-motte-and-bailey.html

This is probably my 6th castle build now. I like building them just never really get to use them in games.

mb4.jpg
  • Avatar Image caladors4591p said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

That little fort looks legit good man :D
    Foam cutter? and what are the bits of wood? Not paddle pops? what scale are you working in?

@caladors said:
    That little fort looks legit good man :D
    Foam cutter? and what are the bits of wood? Not paddle pops? what scale are you working in?

Thanks.

Its 28mm Scale, so pretty big, about 4′ long. The sticks are a combination of 5mm thick balsa sheet cut into strips, coffee stirrers like you get at places like Starbucks and craft sticks I found in a cheap shop. They come in packets and are in the arts and craft sections.

I didn’t use a foam cutter on this. I went with the good old bread knife method. I do own a variety of foam cutters though and would highly recommend getting some.

• Avatar Image inu53164p said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

You’ve got some nice terrain pieces there and those victorian robots are pretty sweet too :)

@inu53 said:
    You’ve got some nice terrain pieces there and those victorian robots are pretty sweet too :)

Thank you.

I really like the terrain building side of things. I just find it quicker to do than painting figures. I love the whole Victorian Science Fiction theme, our VSF games are more about telling a good story than actually trying to win. We have been known to tweak the odd result on a chart to make it more exciting. A classic example was when Queen Victoria should have been killed in the Battle of Sandringham, well that was just not the done thing, so we had her survive instead.
    I’m sure at some point she will be captured and taken to a secret Prussian underground medical facility and need to be rescued. (Purely because I have made the complex and want to use it)

Anyway, its back to the bleak and weather worn Motte and Bailey…

this time in colour.

https://unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au/2017/07/building-motte-and-bailey-in-colour.html

Few more pictures on the blog if anyone is interested. I’m trying to not post too many pictures on here so that it doesn’t use up to much data or whatever its called for those who are not interested. (Yes I’m at a complete loss when it comes to anything with technology)

m6.jpg
  • Avatar Image hutch76p said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Sorry I don’t have anything new to show you right now but I am working on some new stuff. In the meantime I thought I would share some pictures of my one of my favourite projects to date.

Tomb Kings.

This little army got somewhat out of hand and is currently at around the 14,000 point mark by old Warhammer 8th edition values.

I’m not completely sure what to do with it now that the Warhammer Scene has changed. I’m thinking of using bits of it for Wargods of Aegypyus.

Any suggestions?

3-21.jpg
    dsc_00812.jpg
    dsc_0092.jpg
    dsc_0084.jpg
    tkinfa2.jpg
    tkchariotsa1.jpg
    skulls20123.jpg
  • Avatar Image hutch76p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Been getting my Eden on.

https://unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au/2017/08/eden-part-1.html

Really enjoy this game, love that it can be played on a small table and each player can have completely different mission objectives to each other.

fullsizerender62.jpg
    image_zpsqwakyep2.jpeg
    img_25871.jpg
    image_zpsuhhrisfw.jpeg
  • Avatar Image inu53164p said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Sweet, I don’t know a lot about Eden yet but that’s some cool stuff. Love those wrecked cars. And your undead, gotta love undead :)

• Avatar Image hutch76p said 2 months ago:

Another Castle Build, something a little more substantial this time.

More images on my blog.
    http://unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au/2017/08/building-castles-in-sand.html

So the plans for this castle I had found on the internet some years ago and saved. I can’t for the life of me remember where they originally came from or what the castle was used for.

To me it looks like the ideal castle to be used as both a fort in the ongoing Mars campaign whilst also doubling up as a suitable looking castle for the Crusades period.

Again I used foam-core covered in filler for the structure. This time I sanded the walls a lot because I wanted a nice smooth texture, especially on the corners.

I like the fact that it looks big and I can imagine it on the Mars landscape sticking out against the otherwise inhospitable barren terrain.

oh and also for more normal Crusader style games.

And finally some scale shots with my Bretonnian Army.

f14.jpg
    1182.jpg
    1192.jpg
    12111.jpg
    dsc_01141.jpg
    dsc_0124.jpg
    august28-2.jpg